Need advise, paint work flaws on my 11.

SicShelby09

Banned
So I was too excited and broke my first rule when I picked up my car. I did not inspect every inch of the paint before I accepted it. So Friday night I washed it and waxed it for the first time and I found this on the roof!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_0286.jpg

If you dont know what you are looking at, most of what you see is the reflection of the garage door. But right in the middle is a purplish blob shape in the middle of the pic. At first I thought it was a bird poop stain. So I clayed it, buffed at it and it remained. I took it back to the dealer and their body guy said it was UNDER the clear and it was not a bird stain. What it is was a poor attempt from the factory to sand out an imperfection and then repaint and clear it. Accept then didnt put enough color on it and now the primer is shinning though the paint. After taking it to a few body shops, they all concur that the WHOLE roof needs to be painted. Keep in mind this is blaze yellow tri-coat, and none of the local shops have ever seen this color.

Now with all that said, I am furious. There are also a few spots on the front bumper that it looks like dirt got under the paint and caused those little nippes to show up. All the shops agree that I should ignore those because once again the bumper would need to be painted and it would never match again. I can live with that, but the roof is completely unacceptable.

So I tried to have the dealer take the car back, and they swear that its impossible. They offered to take the car back in on trade, and I will loose some money and I said no to that. Also ofcourse they will have it fixed no matter the cost. And Im ok with the fix, but I am scared to death about it coming out right. What are your guys opinions on this. Im also going to call the factory, because this is a mfr. defect, not caused at the dealer level. They really need to step up on this one. Im so bummed.

Brian

Last edited:

warlockgs

Established Member
If you get the right shop to do the work, any paint imperfection is easy to fix. Even when a respray is involved. Make sure you get a warranty on the paint, and see if they'll let you take it to a shop of your choice to have it fixed.

If they let you choose the shop to repair it, call around to your local collision centers, and ask if they are CURRENTLY doing any work on a 3-stage-painted car, and ask if you can come see how the paint turned out. Pictures really don't suffice for most bodywork inspection. If they don't want you to come over and see the paint work they did, I'd steer clear. If they enthusiastically invite you to come see, that's a shop that is proud of their work. You might be too :)

SicShelby09

Banned
If you get the right shop to do the work, any paint imperfection is easy to fix. Even when a respray is involved. Make sure you get a warranty on the paint, and see if they'll let you take it to a shop of your choice to have it fixed.

If they let you choose the shop to repair it, call around to your local collision centers, and ask if they are CURRENTLY doing any work on a 3-stage-painted car, and ask if you can come see how the paint turned out. Pictures really don't suffice for most bodywork inspection. If they don't want you to come over and see the paint work they did, I'd steer clear. If they enthusiastically invite you to come see, that's a shop that is proud of their work. You might be too :)

Thanks for the advice. I am going to call around Monday morning and see who is willing to do what. I know that they are going to warranty all this, and I will NOT let them designate which shop it goes to and how much they are willing to pay. This is going to be as good if not better than factory. But Im not going to lie, my stomach turns everytime I think about this.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That def sucks. My Dad's F-150 has a similar problem, but you'd have to have a ladder to see it. That's def going to be a tough color to match. Good luck with it. I'd try to get the dealer to take it back too. If it's worth it to you you may want to try contacting an attorney.

SicShelby09

Banned
The dealer already said that they would fix it. And even if warranty wouldn't cover it that they would. It's the fact that I'm sure it will never look factory. Look at the color. It's going to be a nightmare. They will also probably have to pull the front and rear windows out. That's a nightmare in it self.

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
Any reputable paint shop will be able to fix and blend with no issue. My suggestion would be to use the shop your dealer recommends. They'll typically be the ones that do their collision work and will be comfortable shooting the Ford colors. It sucks but it happens, just glad to hear your dealer will take care of it.

Itsdafiveoh

Established Member
I had either dust or small pieces of dirt/rocks under my paint. Not too impressed with Ford's paint quality...

SicShelby09

Banned
I had either dust or small pieces of dirt/rocks under my paint. Not too impressed with Ford's paint quality...

I have three of those too. the two on the front bumper as stated above and another one a few inches from that roof fubar I just saw a few minutes ago. I will find out tomorrow, but odds are they are going to want to repair it. If it can be done and look factory, I will overlook the front bumper dirt nipples. They are super small, and Im would probably be the only one who sees them. Not to mention I plan on getting a clear bra and it will cover those up easy.

grnenvy

Established Member
I would find the best shop in your area and have them do it. The factory paint is usually the most durable but an A+ shop can achieve a better paint job. Also you may beable to claim some of it under your insurance if Ford doesn't stand behind it 100%.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Definitely fixable. You're lucky it's on the roof as well. This is about the easiest spot to blend because of all the seams.

It's a warranty item, so just make sure whoever is doing the respray does a quality job.

SicShelby09

Banned
Definitely fixable. You're lucky it's on the roof as well. This is about the easiest spot to blend because of all the seams.

It's a warranty item, so just make sure whoever is doing the respray does a quality job.

If they decide to fix it, how the hell do I find a high quality body shop. There are like 15 near my house and none of them have any reviews on google and such. I will see who the dealer recommends but man this is going to suck. I just hope they dont need to take out the windshield or rear window.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If they decide to fix it, how the hell do I find a high quality body shop. There are like 15 near my house and none of them have any reviews on google and such. I will see who the dealer recommends but man this is going to suck. I just hope they dont need to take out the windshield or rear window.

If you have to, pound the payment. Because this paint is a tint coat system I would look for a shop that has done work on Corvettes. The paint used on those cars is usually tint coats.

I know the guys I've gone to for paint work, the good ones are always willing to show you around the shop so you can see what they're working on. If they give you some line about not being allowed to do that, I'd look elsewhere.

Timeless

TK-421
Established Member
They probably already know, but make sure they do know for sure you are going to be a PITA to them to get it right...make sure they do not get any clear on your windows and such.

SicShelby09

Banned
They probably already know, but make sure they do know for sure you are going to be a PITA to them to get it right...make sure they do not get any clear on your windows and such.

I spoke to a few local shops today, and they all say that since the whole roof is outlined by moulding and glass, then they would want to repaint and clear the whole thing, not try to fix the spot and blend it in because of the tri-coat. They said that the glass should not have to come out, so thats good but the color is going to be a problem no matter what. And since this is a factory defect, then I should get the "three strikes and your out" lemon law thing if they can t get it right. And one shop said you really dont want a respray on a respray. That would be really bad. So Im shaking in my boots here. I already called Ford customer care, and I was able to get a voicemail to some quality manager at the factory. Hopefully if I scream loud enough, I can get the factory to step in and make this right. My poor dealer should not have to deal with this. If it had been some mechanical defect, then sure they should be more than capable. But paint and body work is out of their realm, and they should not be bothered with this. This is Fords problem, and I will lawyer up if necessary.

SicShelby09

Banned
Just got the word from the dealer that there is a great chance they will do a buy back for me and locate or order me another car. And honestly, I will probably hold out for grabber blue this time around. The car will have to have the brembos and 3.73 gears, and if its a premium this time around, Im ok with that. Fingers crossed. I have to bring it down to the dealer again tonight for them to look at it and then call ford.

kleistang

Established Member
Just got the word from the dealer that there is a great chance they will do a buy back for me and locate or order me another car. And honestly, I will probably hold out for grabber blue this time around. The car will have to have the brembos and 3.73 gears, and if its a premium this time around, Im ok with that. Fingers crossed. I have to bring it down to the dealer again tonight for them to look at it and then call ford.

they have to do that. good luck

Users who are viewing this thread