Need Advise - Maybe my Cobra Friends Can Help!

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Hi Guys,

This is not Cobra related but there is a lot of knowledge here. My 98 5.9L Jeep is currently decommissioned. When I turn the key, it only makes a single click, but does not start.

I assume dead battery; pull the battery and test, perfect, its new.
Next I pull the starter, it tests good. Spins up fine.
There is not corrosion on the battery posts or cable clamps, but there is a crack in the negative. Not sure how much it matters, I have a replacement I am going to try anyway. The wires themselves have a small amount of corrosion where they connect to the battery terminals, but otherwise nothing else.

I think the juice wires to the battery, and turning the key should atleast give a crank even if there was something else wrong, thus without it trying to crank I assume it has to be something simple before the starter.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss and the Jeep is stuck. :shrug:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Did you check the solenoid on the starter...they tend to go more often then the starter

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I've been able to jump the stater with a screw driver when it gets stuck to get a little more life out of it. As someone previously said the soleniod is what usually is the problem. Also if you pour some Coke or Pepsi on the corroded area it will clear it up.

Users who are viewing this thread