Need Advice on New Steering Wheel

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
I have a 97 vert that has a full saddle interior. i hate it. i feel like im drowning in tan. anyways...

My question is: Would an 03/04 Cobra wheel look out of place in my car? The only other black part of the car is the dash.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
It looks ok to get one in black with the tan interior, but definitely don't get one the incorrect color of tan!

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I have a 97 vert that has a full saddle interior. i hate it. i feel like im drowning in tan. anyways...

My question is: Would an 03/04 Cobra wheel look out of place in my car? The only other black part of the car is the dash.

O3/04 Wheels are GRAPHITE... DARK GREY. Not black.. That being said... I don't think you'll notice, as you already haven't

It looks ok to get one in black with the tan interior, but definitely don't get one the incorrect color of tan!

They don't come in tan at all, but I know what you're saying

For Reference..

Here is my Graphite FR500 wheel on my black interior

FR500 by BLWNBYU, on Flickr

SUPERCHRGDJOHN

Established Member
Quick pic my old 97 cobra with fr500 wheel

189-Copy_zpscffc48dc.gif

193_zps808b84cc.jpg

196_zpsa3ffd6d8.jpg

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I just noticed that his door sills are also tan... Interesting...

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Perhaps I was being too general in the choices of colors I was using. I know the correct name is saddle [tan], and the 99+ interior color is "Dark Charcoal". I know it isn't black. I was just wondering how close to black it actually is.

Also, I'd LOVE an FR500 wheel but that's pretty much an impossibility now days. 03-04 is the next best wheel.

If the FR500 wheel is the same color is the same color as an 03-04 Cobra wheel, I'll pick on of those up.

Thanks for the input so far. If anyone else has a pic or personal experience, please share.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
I knew the 99+ interiors were dark grey instead of black, but I thought the wheels were pretty much black. However there are other things that should not be swapped year-year. I picked up a rear speaker carpet from a 99+ car, and the grey was Very light compared to the correct black color.

If I get a new wheel, it would have to be a very nice 10th anny wheel (I believe it's the only one with the thumb bumps) and it would have to be a good price (like $200, not $400+) In other words, I'm never going to buy one lol

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Perhaps I was being too general in the choices of colors I was using. I know the correct name is saddle [tan], and the 99+ interior color is "Dark Charcoal". I know it isn't black. I was just wondering how close to black it actually is.

Also, I'd LOVE an FR500 wheel but that's pretty much an impossibility now days. 03-04 is the next best wheel.

If the FR500 wheel is the same color is the same color as an 03-04 Cobra wheel, I'll pick on of those up.

Thanks for the input so far. If anyone else has a pic or personal experience, please share.

FR is the same as OEM. Hopefully my pic helped

mustang3X

Established Member
have yours recovered. places like dallas custom steering wheel can redo it in any color and different materials, won't be cheap but an alcantara wheel would look (and feel) awesome.

I have Corbeau CR1 black seats in my car, looks great with the tan and this winter I plan on painting the door pulls in black.

A black steering wheel will help but you'll need black in more places if you really want to make a difference.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
FR is the same as OEM. Hopefully my pic helped

have yours recovered. places like dallas custom steering wheel can redo it in any color and different materials, won't be cheap but an alcantara wheel would look (and feel) awesome.

I have Corbeau CR1 black seats in my car, looks great with the tan and this winter I plan on painting the door pulls in black.

A black steering wheel will help but you'll need black in more places if you really want to make a difference.

Blown, yes that helped a lot. I will plan on an 03-04 wheel. the 10th anniversary wheels are ludicrously expensive.

M3X, what i really want is the 2 tone tan/black interior but thats going to be next to impossible to find. i think ill contact TMI and see if theyll make me a custom set of 2 tone seats using 03-04 skins. tan leather and charcoal suede inserts. also, charcoal carpet with tan floor mats. im not dead set on it yet, just some thoughts. whatever i do, id like it to look like it couldve been an option from the factory.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
here's mine changes to my tan interior- I personally did the alcantara pieces, put in a black carpet etc and the seats. the floor mats I hate but are good for when my shoes aren't perfectly clean. at shows- I just take them out and have a black spotless carpet to show off.
IMG_20131020_191654_556_zps11341284.jpg

IMG_20131020_191603_496_zps962a472d.jpg

CJK440

Established Member
100_3662_zps9622cbef.gif

My old 97. When I bought it I thought the wheel was stock. It wasn't until I got my second Cobra when I realized it was an FR500.

As for the sea of tan, dye the upper part of the door panels black to continue the two tone from the dash to the door and even the interior 1/4 panels too.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
we just did a cobra that has the black and tan interior with a termi wheel. get the wheel and if you want it black, go to Tandy Leather or any place that sells leather dye, dye the leather black. pull your wheel, take out the horn buttons that is also the mounting brackets for the air bag and then put your air bag in the wheel. voila...black and tan. you should switch the horn button brackets as the termi ones will keep the air bag from fitting flush into the wheel. they look the same, but they aren't in the way the air bag fits in. two wheels we did had the same issue until we switched the brackets.

here is the wheel in the car:

100_1934_zps03199fbd.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread