Need advice - Keep or Partially Fix & Sell?

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
I have a stock 97 Cobra vert with just over 77k miles. I'm trying to decide if I should fix the thing and keep it or fix the a/c and top and sell it. I like the car but it doesn't hold the same appeal to me it used to and I need something with more space. Also, I don't even know what I should ask for the car if I fix the top n a/c. It's a good 20' car and the engine is strong. Interior has the typical steering wheel peel and the seats are worn but no rips.

Paint is starting to go. It has the normal chips and the clear is starting to go as well (E8). Body is in pretty good shape, no rust at all.

The top was replaced five years ago with a cloth top and the rear window section is separating. Main section looks fine. I think I can get by just replacing the window section.

A/C compressor took a shit. Needs to be replaced.

Need to check further but I either have a ball joint or steering rack bushing going out.

Throw out bearing is starting to make noises when pedal is depressed, car shits great. Oem clutch still strong. Will obviously need to be replaced if/when TOB is replaced.

Thanks for reading, just trying to wrestle if I should fix it and keep it or sell it and grab a used sportyish four door. I do need the space.

96GT226410

Established Member
I agree with Tabees. Get the rear window fixed, replace the clutch (throwout bearing, rear main seal, and pilot bearing at the same time and if you can swing it replace the clutch fork and pivot stud) and fix the ball joint and/or rack. It'll help sell the car because there's not really a big market for these.

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Keep it. SN95 Cobras for the win!
Sexy, reliable, and becoming quite rare these days.
You have a small list of things that need to be done. Get it done and then let r rip, tater chip

scottydsntknow

Established Member
The top is the hardest thing there. The rest of the stuff can be knocked out one thing at a time one weekend at a time easy. The TOB could even be as simple as installing a firewall adjuster and tightening up the cable.

If its rust free with 77k and the engine is strong... I'd keep it but if you are tired of it fix it and sell it as a low mileage "project" for someone. Or if you are really just sick of it, price it aggressively and sell it as is. Someone will jump on it quick.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
I'm currently in training away from home. The base I'm at doesn't have an auto hobby shop and I don't know anyone here.

I'm not entirely sure I can wait until I'm done here in July to replace the ToB. It's getting a little worse now. I'm not 100% sure it's the ToB, might be the pilot bearing. Makes kinda scratchy sounds at idle out of gear and when it's cold, it likes to squeal with clutch pedal depressed but drops when out. Either way, the clutch has 77k miles on it so I'm sure it's getting close to the end of it's service life and I may as well replace the ToB, pilot bearing, and rear main while it's apart.

I'm near Dallas so I don't mind the two hour drive to figure out who would repair the top. I don't trust anyone back home in Little Rock.

The rest I could prolly get away with waiting to replace when I get back though no a/c in Texas in June is going to be a MF. I might bite the bullet and pay to have it fixed here lol.

I don't mind the car, it's just that my GF and I are getting a bit more serious and we have a shit ton of kids between us. She has an Equinox and I have a Cobra. 5 kids total but 4 most times, my youngest lives with her mother 850 miles away.

I think that it's time to move up to a bigger car, not that it'll fit all of us anyways, but something that can handle a longer trip and a normal volume. Plus, most newer cars are faster with better safety and get better fuel mileage. Even a 2015+ charger r/t gets better mpg and is faster while being 500+lbs heavier.

On top of all that, the paint job needs to be refreshed, the clear is failing and paint has flat worn off on an area of the front bumper. It must've been thinking from the factory. It also has the normal paint chips from use.

I'm hesitant to dump a few grand into the car to sell it for who knows what, I dunno what the market would be on a basically stock vert with around 75k miles and a new clutch and 03/04 Cobra top. I didn't buy it with the intention to flip it, but I don't want to lose my ass on it either.

Users who are viewing this thread