Need advice about enlisting(Army)

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
shut up, if you are not in the army you dont know. Most in any branch that are not happy are cry babies and have piss poor work standards and just want a free pay check.

I see you have gone into recruiter mode.

Heads up though, it's called the joint world. I know well how the Army operates. Don't even have to use the "but my friend is in the Army" card. If you would have read my post though, you would understand that I said the military is not a good choice at the moment.

But you go ahead and promise the world to our young and uninformed. All the while knowing that everything you promise them is in risk of of being turned 180 on them.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I fly 60's in the Army. Love my job. Don't pick up trash, rake leaves, cut grass or any of that other shit I see enlisted folks doing all the time. I thank God every day I'm not enlisted anymore.
Army has changes ALOT in the last 16 years. I wouldn't suggest it right now.
Wait until the next War kicks off.

Are you CWO or O?

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
OP- i'm not going to give you my personal experiences because this thread isn't about my career and honestly, everyone reacts differently to experiences in life so that wouldn't do any good. what i can tell you is that i've worked at a MEPS for over 2 years, i've seen quite a few older guys(22+) even w/ graduate degrees coming in. if you have any Branch specific questions that you don't believe a recruiter on, just pm me and i'll let you know if it's true or false. good luck in making your decision

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Don't do it OP. The military sucks. Read, read, read, read, that's what you need to do. Educate yourself and use the money from your current job to fund your own business so that you can be a free man. Don't throw it away so you can be bitched at by some asshole that doesn't give two shits about you. OK...

That's my advice.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
shut up, if you are not in the army you dont know. Most in any branch that are not happy are cry babies and have piss poor work standards and just want a free pay check.

How about you shut up. Maybe we are just realistic and want a better life and don't want to deal with people like you.

yea thats bullshit too. you can do just fine in the normal area of the army right now. its all about not being a shit bag or just skating by doing the bare minimum anymore.

OP the army is great IF you can understand to think optimistic and understand this is not a profession that when you get mad at your boss you can tell him/her to eat shit. This is more like you want to kill your boss but just suck it up because it doesn't matter you are still getting paid.

To get in and stay in its VERY easy. be where you are told on time and in the correct uniform. then you need to make sure you put in 110% effort on everything and learn your place. some cant handle being told what to do or being a private. being a private sucks but its a right of passage thing. we all had shitty times as a private.

budget cuts really only effect shit heads and useless jobs. if you want to be a career soldier don't pick being a infantry or any combat arms for that matter. its a hit or miss dead end road when you get out. if you plan to do 2-4 years and just get experience of being a hard core soldier go combat arms. Im a mechanic and we all know that mechanics will ALWAYS be in demand just depends on what type and level you wanna be. I would look up all the jobs in army and find something and excites you and try to get that job.

right now we are at that point where we are putting people out to get down to the number the army wants BUT we are still putting plenty in to keep the number stable. Don't just take what they offer because they are going to offer the jobs that are severely understrength and act like they are the only job.

research research research

LOL at all of this.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
You could do it, or spend the rest of your life with a little voice making you wonder "what if".

You're only on this earth for a minute, make the best of it.

BV600

Established Member
Id rather have a 26-28 yr old private than a 17-21. Nothing wrong with the Army if you have Common Sense. Just need to pick the right MOS and outshine your peers.

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
Army is not bad but like others have said were all kinda jaded from getting screwed here and there. Army will not take care of you, you have to be willing to fight to get ahead. If you can out shine the guys to the left and right of you then you'll do fine. picking the right MOS is key to any happiness in the army. If I make suggestions then Id suggest most 35s but not 35T. 15W is certainly the way to go. crew rest and quick promotions!! not to mentions the opportunites if you get out. Im a 15E so life is not quite as good for us

768MPH

Established Member
Id rather have a 26-28 yr old private than a 17-21. Nothing wrong with the Army if you have Common Sense. Just need to pick the right MOS and outshine your peers.

This.

I joined the Army when I was 27, and went in as an E-3. I joined Infantry because it was of interest to me. Asvab was 67 with line scores of 120 and higher. I earned my E-4 in 18 month TIS and earned my Stripes in 2.5 years. My mature nature enabled me to bypass others that rather get wasted and not progress.

I have had more opportunities due to many wanting to collect paycheck rather than step up and grab the opportunities that they were bitching they werent given. Your career is what you make it, plain and simple; whether it be civilian or military. Go grab what YOU want to do and serve your country by your terms, not by the opinions of others that cant make it in the military or didnt even try.
Im not being one sided or rude, like others on this thread bashing the military, Im being honest. There are multiple avenues of approach to make your career what you will. Along with many other benefits that come with the military. Are there shitty days, absolutely, it's life. But you move past them and get shit done rather than bitch about it and waste time.

Nobody's decision but yours, write out your reasons for joining and compare to what you feel your best course of action is. Whether it be 3 years or 20, it is a great experience to prepare you for what you intend on doing.

My .02 cents.

To those of you that have served, thank you for your service; to those who support, thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread