Need a retune

stangfreak

Established Member
so yea, gotta love NY. I go to sk speed to pick up ms109. I run my car on race gas all the day. I never take it out and its weekend only. so I leave it set on kill. 24lbs of boost 2.9 whipple.

The guy at sk speed goes to me, we no longer carry ms109. I said why not? He hands me over a list of race gas that NY can no longer sell. ms109, even c85!!! The list is huge. I said wtf? I was told any race gas with mtbe can no longer be sold in ny. so now I have to get my car retuned with ms109E. At first I was like ok screw it, ill go with c85. Make even more power. That can't be sold either.

I bought the 2.9 bc I wanted a big blower and run it on high boost. Not to run 18 lbs pump gas.

we have no track on long island anymore, race gas seems to be disappearing, its nuts. Honestly, I am thinking of getting a 2.3 tvs with the GT500 throttle body, run 19lbs and 93 octane. Just cruise and enjoy the car.

stangfreak

Established Member
My buddy was doing that and stopped bc he said he always had to test it and change the tune if the content changed. He is also back to pump gas

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I wouldnt get to worked up.

I would personally look into buying a drum of 110 Sunoco, or talk with Ignite Racing Fuels, and have a barrel shipped to your shop, or door. I deal with all kinds of fuel limitations in Alaska.

93VORTECH

Established Member
MTBE hasn't been used in gas for the last 10+ years. I actually work at a Refinery and we haven't used it for our gasoline blends for a long time. That shit is nasty! But we use other additives that took the place of it. Pointless info but just thought I'd throw it out there.

so yea, gotta love NY. I go to sk speed to pick up ms109. I run my car on race gas all the day. I never take it out and its weekend only. so I leave it set on kill. 24lbs of boost 2.9 whipple.

The guy at sk speed goes to me, we no longer carry ms109. I said why not? He hands me over a list of race gas that NY can no longer sell. ms109, even c85!!! The list is huge. I said wtf? I was told any race gas with mtbe can no longer be sold in ny. so now I have to get my car retuned with ms109E. At first I was like ok screw it, ill go with c85. Make even more power. That can't be sold either.

I bought the 2.9 bc I wanted a big blower and run it on high boost. Not to run 18 lbs pump gas.

we have no track on long island anymore, race gas seems to be disappearing, its nuts. Honestly, I am thinking of getting a 2.3 tvs with the GT500 throttle body, run 19lbs and 93 octane. Just cruise and enjoy the car.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Retune with 93 and boostane. I run it in my cts-v (1 can to 15 gallons), getting the same knock protection as I was with 109. It's cheaper and more convenient.

Or just order a drum of race fuel.

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
yea I may just end up doing what itstock said or just buy a 55 gal drum of fuel.

Its just, I spent 3 grand last year on the car. New fuel system, ms109, 3 more lbs of boost, and other stuff to only gain ZERO hp, ZERO tq, and my tq curve looks like crap. Its just flat. I spent all that money for no gains, and now I have to spend more money to retune bc we cant get ms109 in new york anymore lol. Gotta love the car game.

MG0h3

Established Member
I just switched to E85 and while I was mildly concerned about different contents like you mentioned, 04sleeper sure wasnt. Mine tested at 80 so thats what he tuned it for. I told him my buddy says he sees 75 all the time at a different station in town. Wont matter, itll just be a hair richer. I then asked him what if I get some E85, wont I be lean? He said not by much and youre safe up to 13:1.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I just switched to E85 and while I was mildly concerned about different contents like you mentioned, 04sleeper sure wasnt. Mine tested at 80 so thats what he tuned it for. I told him my buddy says he sees 75 all the time at a different station in town. Wont matter, itll just be a hair richer. I then asked him what if I get some E85, wont I be lean? He said not by much and youre safe up to 13:1.

+1

Ethanol will just not detonate. Get it tuned for 85 if possible....then anything under that is just slightly rich. Doubtful you're going to see E90 or greater, and if you did it is not going to damage the engine. As far as the "low end" of ethanol, you'd have to see E60 or lower before you're E85 tune was running the risk of being TOO rich and creating other unsavory issues.

So ethanol range of E60-E90 is absolutely something you and the motor can live with for a loooooong time. Chances are 99% of the time it's going to test E70 minimum and E85 maximum and the motor is good to go all tank long.

As far as "testing" I still take the time to do it every single fill up because I want to know and the time it takes to test is 5 minutes or less. No excuses for me not to since it's not a daily and I'm filling up once a month tops. 5 minutes once a month is nothing I can make an excuse for.

Users who are viewing this thread