Need a "no-drill" front license plate bracket for a 05+ Mustang

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I need a front bracket for my dad's new Shelby GT. I have looked everywhere and cannot find anyone who makes a front license plate bracket for 2005 and later Mustangs. I know there's a guy making them for GT500s, but it mounts to a grille piece that only GT500s have.

THIS is the only thing I've seen so far. Anyone have one? :??:

What the heck are you guys with '05+ GTs doing to mount a front plate?!?!? :shrug:

HerNameIsPonie

LAMC ftw
Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
I need a front bracket for my dad's new Shelby GT. I have looked everywhere and cannot find anyone who makes a front license plate bracket for 2005 and later Mustangs. I know there's a guy making them for GT500s, but it mounts to a grille piece that only GT500s have.

What the heck are you guys with '05+ GTs doing to mount a front plate?!?!? :shrug:

I actually drilled the bumper it doesnt look that bad, i like it

adamb258

Established Member
you can always make your own where it drill into the underside of the bumper (wont see it) and an L bracket comes up to mount the plate to.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I actually drilled the bumper it doesnt look that bad...
I REALLY don't want my dad to put holes in his bumper if he can possibly avoid it. I didn't do it on my Terminator, and I won't let him do it on his Shelby.

do u live like in Canada where you need to do that?
I'm in Ohio. If it was my car I'd leave the plate off. But my dad wants to be legal.

you can always make your own...
We may do that. I'm just amazed that this new body style has been out for 2 years and nobody is making a no-drill plate holder.

Last edited:

StStang0702

SVT Poster
Established Member
just leave the front plate off...tell him to leave it in the car in the trunk or something, i doubt he will get stopped, and if he does then try and cross the bridge, cops wont really bust your balls about it unless they get your for something else and your giving them aditude, but for the most part i havent had a front licence plate on my car for 5 years, and the cops dont say anything...tell pops to take the risk

HerNameIsPonie

LAMC ftw
Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
I REALLY don't want my dad to put holes in his bumper if he can possibly avoid it. I didn't do it on my Terminator, and I won't let him do it on his Shelby. It would be a crime to get a drill bit near this thing... :uh oh:

Ohio...but it's almost as bad as Canada. :-D Seriously, if it was my car I'd just leave the plate off. But this is my dad's car and he wants to be legal.

We may do that. I'm just amazed that this new body style has been out for 2 years and nobody is making a no-drill plate holder... well, except the guy on ebay.

Isnt just a regular gt bumper with a lip? Any who just throw the plate on there it doesnt look that bad

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
No the Shelby GT has it's own bumper cover, I think it might be very similar to the California Special Bumper Covers Though.

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
swoosh_stang said:
No the Shelby GT has it's own bumper cover, I think it might be very similar to the California Special Bumper Covers Though.
It is the California Special Bumper!

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
Hey Top Fuel - did you Dad buy his Shelby at Interstate Ford? I saw one there - darn nice car for sure!

Gibs07GTcpe

Established Member
nevermind I need to read the entire post. Sorry. That bracket looks like it wuld work ok though.

Gib

Last edited:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Raven said:
...did your Dad buy his Shelby at Interstate Ford?
Yes...the black one with silver stripes!

I had no idea he was really looking. Of course they had the $10K ADM on it. :rolleyes: He just told the sales guy to call him when they were ready to drop the markup. A few weeks went by and he got a call and they were ready to deal. I think he ended up getting it for $500 under MSRP.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I just bought THIS one off of eBay. It should be showing up in the next couple of days. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

For an update see post #17 below...

Last edited:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
After some searching, I finally found a well-designed bracket. It installs in 5 minutes, no tools are needed, and it requires NO DRILLING of any part of the car. The bracket is made of polished aluminum and includes all stainless steel hardware for mounting. If you buy the "adjustable" version, you can remove the front plate in about 10 seconds with no tools. Very cool! :thumbsup:

HERE is a link to the guy's eBay ad.

Here is the bracket installed on my Dad's Shelby GT...

Plate1.jpg

A few more pictures here...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/gpo...byGT/Plate2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/gpo...byGT/Plate3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/gpo...byGT/Plate4.jpg

If you're wondering how it attaches to the car, take a look here...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/gpo...lbyGT/step1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/gpo...lbyGT/step2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/gpo...lbyGT/step3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/gpo...lbyGT/Step4.jpg

** DISCLAIMER **

I have no connection to the guy who makes these brackets. I just know it's a good product that's worth considering if you have to have a front license plate.

Last edited:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Top_Fuel said:

When I don't want to drill the bumper I use velcro. It works great. You don't see it at all. And when I want to take it off completely the tape removes from the bumper's surface without a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread