Need a new battery! I need recommendations looking for something with almost 1000 cca.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Well with my previous thread I thought it was my starter and I just had Aaa come over my house and they ended up jumping my car and he told me I likely have a dead cell in my battery.

I also did not know that when you go to AutoZone or O’Reillys that their battery testers are complete garbage and they don’t really know how to test if a batteries good or bad.

Lesson learned I need a new battery after replacing my starter pointlessly. The guy recommended with my car that they’re notorious for draining batteries which is common. He said I should look for a battery with at least 1000 cold cranking amp‘s.

I’m not looking to relocate the placement of my battery so only the actual spot that it belongs.

Links to batteries you recommend would be great

thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Unless you have a high compression big block you don't need that much CCA. I spun over a big bore stroker with a big blower on a stock replacement battery and stock 100k mile starter for a long time with no issues. And don't forget usually higher CCA batteries are bigger which means they don't fit in the factory spot.

These cars aren't known to have drains from the factory. They're not Corvettes. The only time there is a drain is if something has malfunctioned or something aftermarket was installed. I didn't drive my 04 for a month and cranked over when I turned the key.

As for Autozone testers, they've worked ok for me. Personally I run Duralast in my Cobra and boat. I've ran them for years in other vehicles as well. When the factory batteries go out in my truck it'll probably get Duralast replacements.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
There was a thread recently where someone just put in a battery with my cca and more holding power that fit in the factory battery tray. I think it was an odyssey

52merc

Established Member
Before I had problems with my Mach460 amp I often parked the car for the winter without a tender hooked up. Four or five months later it wold fire right up. If you have a drain problem, reserve capacity is more important than CCA. CCA is real important if its -40° outside and you're trying to start. Look at the Odessey 75-86 PC1230. That's the one talked about in the Terminator section.

shurur

Established Member
Answers will vary.
Autocraft gold.

Have wanted to try exide, but not sure it would last long enough to justfy the price, as Tampa heat kills batteries in about three years.

I think the only two makers of batteries are Johnson controls and Deka anyway..

Just make sure you get the one for the cobra, as the size for the gt will be loose and not lock down in the tray!!..size 59 (oem fit) I believe..not 58 (alt fit)!

Also on my list is a battery charger/booster for the very reason you got hoodwinked by trusting someone else to check the battery.
I Still haven't gotten one yet, due to analysis paralysis.

Last edited:

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Answers will vary.
Autocraft gold.

Have wanted to try exide, but not sure it would last long enough to justfy the price, as Tampa heat kills batteries in about three years.

I think the only two makers of batteries are Johnson controls and Deka anyway..

Just make sure you get the one for the cobra, as the size for the gt will be loose and not lock down in the tray!!..size 59 (oem fit) I believe..not 58 (alt fit)!

Also on my list is a battery charger/booster for the very reason you got hoodwinked by trusting someone else to check the battery.
I Still haven't gotten one yet, due to analysis paralysis.

What size or part number for Autocraft gold? When I go to say to advanced auto.com only the silver battery comes up not gold.

shurur

Established Member
What size or part number for Autocraft gold? When I go to say to advanced auto.com only the silver battery comes up not gold.

possibly 96r.
I have a autocraft silver 59 in mine now...hey the duralast gold is probably the same battery as the autocraft gold.
Don't get too stuck on it.

autocraft gold comes in size 58..you could go to a store and try it out..but again as I recall it didn't sit snug under the battery clamp/shoe.

Last edited:

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
possibly 96r.
I have a autocraft silver 59 in mine now...hey the duralast gold is probably the same battery as the autocraft gold.
Don't get too stuck on it.

autocraft gold comes in size 58..you could go to a store and try it out..but again as I recall it didn't sit snug under the battery clamp/shoe.

I have the silver in mine now which is 590cca and the one u just mentioned is same cca. I’d like to stick w advance as I have perks there n promos to use. Is the gold one much better than or silver now?
Also maybe I’ll just go in advance and measure out which may fit in my stock spot for a battery.

shurur

Established Member
I have the silver in mine now which is 590cca and the one u just mentioned is same cca. I’d like to stick w advance as I have perks there n promos to use. Is the gold one much better than or silver now?
Also maybe I’ll just go in advance and measure out which may fit in my stock spot for a battery.

I think it is, but like you, I have a hard time finding it on their site.
I can see reviews of the gold 59 on other sites, but don't see it on their site anymore.

Now group 59 may translate/cross reference to H7...give me minute or two.

BTW: I substitute teach and am bored out of my mind!

nope..the 59 appears to be the widest you can get. and that width is the one that fits best.
unless Advanced can get you a gold 59 somewhere..otherwise,

ADD:
it looks like a gold 58 is it...
what??
no gold 58 as well!!.

Now that explains why they swapped my old gold for a silver on my car.

We are stuck with silver at Advanced....with a lousey 2 yr warrantee....unless we get something smaller.

Well... we both learned something new today!!

Last edited:

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
I think it is, but like you, I have a hard time finding it on their site.
I can see reviews of the gold 59 on other sites, but don't see it on their site anymore.

Now group 59 may translate/cross reference to H7...give me minute or two.

BTW: I substitute teach and am bored out of my mind!

nope..the 59 appears to be the widest you can get. and that width is the one that fits best.
unless Advanced can get you a gold 59 somewhere..otherwise,

ADD:
it looks like a gold 58 is it...
what??
no gold 58 as well!!.

Now that explains why they swapped my old gold for a silver on my car.

We are stuck with silver at Advanced....with a lousey 2 yr warrantee....unless we get something smaller.

Well... we both learned something new today!!

I appreciate u searching for me. I also typed in gold autocraft on google and it goes to gold battery size 34 on advance site. so I wonder if this one will fit.

I’m going there after work to compare what they have in stock.

shurur

Established Member
I appreciate u searching for me. I also typed in gold autocraft on google and it goes to gold battery size 34 on advance site. so I wonder if this one will fit.

I’m going there after work to compare what they have in stock.

There are autocraft golds that are from other vendors. They are probably stock that got bought up from advanced.

I would just get the silver for now or see how much the autozone duralast gold is going to set you back. It may come to the same amount of money.

It is the width..the 59 is the widest battery size 7-5/8", others may be loose in the tray.

Users who are viewing this thread