Need a new alternator.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
If I got 14.0 or even mid 13s after a 45 minute drive, I'd be ecstatic. It's 115 heat index here today. Humid. My reman dips mid 12s. Winter time it's at least .5 higher. 13.0 WOT

Many moons ago on the forum, there was a member or 2 fabricating ac type duct tubing from the hole next to the passenger foglight, then snaking it back to the alternator for air flow. Maybe a little shield as well. They reported higher voltages consistently. Anyone else fab'd something up?

I've never seen below 13.9 and I live in the Florida heat and humidity.

esonu

Established Member
Just an update. New alternator is in from ken and installed. No more light flickering on the car and it’s keeping constant voltage. So all good in my book for kens alternators.

delly

Established Member
I see your happy with kens alt, was it a direct bolt in? Any modifications needed or wires? I had replaced mine 9 years ago with a guy named “stark n charge” a few guys on here will prob remember the name I’m sure malcom will he has been around awhile, anyway I wish I could get this guy again, like I said I got 9 years out of his and it required me doing a wire upgrade real simple. I now need a new alt...

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I would be curious to see what it is under load / wot.

Coming from Test n tune the other night, with lights on and music bumping on the highway Aeroforce Interceptor gauge read constant volts of 13.5-13.9s on a 45 minute drive home.

So far so good, i also had to contact Justine over a question i had about the pully and he responded quickly.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Coming from Test n tune the other night, with lights on and music bumping on the highway Aeroforce Interceptor gauge read constant volts of 13.5-13.9s on a 45 minute drive home.

So far so good, i also had to contact Justine over a question i had about the pully and he responded quickly.
Good deal. My cheapie is in the mid 13's cruising around as well then drops to mid 12's under wot to redline. I would love to see a datalog of his alternator in a wot pull.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My nation's is 14.3-14.7 cruising around.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Nice.. i see high 14s on occasions but after the car has been running it drops to mid to high 13s.

Something i did find odd was that J2Fab does not recommend the smaller 3.2 alternator pulley, when running larger lowers?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
My Nations is 14.4 volts (you can adjust to what ever you like) and it holds that solid. Idle, cruising, WOT all the way to redline it's 14.4 volts. Under WOT I may see occasional blips to 14.2. Doesn't matter if cold, warm, cooling fans are on max, headlights etc. Always 14.4 solid.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
That's some good output, is the Nations a direct bolt-on or does it take some modification?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
That's some good output, is the Nations a direct bolt-on or does it take some modification?

It bolts in but does require a shim or washer to make sure the pulley lines up correctly. Both top and bottom bolt. I used a laser pulley alignment tool and tried various shims/washers till it fit perfect. I also have an aftermarket balancer and lower pulley which adds a little to the mix.

It comes with an external regulator you have to mount some where too. It's pre-wired in and just needs to be bolted somewhere. I stuck it in the front driver's fender area. To me this external regulator is one of the greatest advantages of the Nations. Regulators are the most common thing to fail from heat on our alternators and they move it away from the engine and exhaust heat. It's also adjustable so if your battery is remote mounted in the trunk you can adjust it up or down to suit your application. It also does an amazing job of holding a steady voltage as I mentioned in a prior post.

It has one wire that needs to be connected to the factory alternator harness plug. It's for the battery light on the dash. They expect you to splice the wire. I grabbed a plug I had laying around handy and installed on the Nations wire so it just plugs into the harness like stock.

Thanks
Malcolm

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I had read somewhere that it needed some modifications, i believe that's what deterred me from using the Nations alt. I battled a belt alignment issue for almost 6 months on/off, and was concerned it would happen again if i used the Nations Alt.

I do like the external regulator, that seems to be very beneficial. Really appreciate your input.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I had read somewhere that it needed some modifications, i believe that's what deterred me from using the Nations alt. I battled a belt alignment issue for almost 6 months on/off, and was concerned it would happen again if i used the Nations Alt.

I do like the external regulator, that seems to be very beneficial. Really appreciate your input.

Do yourself a favor and get a laser alignment tool. They're about $60 or so but without it you're just pissing in the wind guessing if your pulley lines up or not. Many brands are this way on purpose so you can shim to fit. Remember most of these cars have aftermarket blowers & pulleys, idlers and dampers and lower pulleys. So many little tolerances get introduced. Been able to move the alternator back and forth a few thousands of an inch to get perfect alignment is a good thing but you need the right tools. Eye balling it and you'll be suffering and struggling and blowing money in shredded belts.
I've even used straight edges in a pinch and gotten good results.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Do yourself a favor and get a laser alignment tool. They're about $60 or so but without it you're just pissing in the wind guessing if your pulley lines up or not. Many brands are this way on purpose so you can shim to fit. Remember most of these cars have aftermarket blowers & pulleys, idlers and dampers and lower pulleys. So many little tolerances get introduced. Been able to move the alternator back and forth a few thousands of an inch to get perfect alignment is a good thing but you need the right tools. Eye balling it and you'll be suffering and struggling and blowing money in shredded belts.
I've even used straight edges in a pinch and gotten good results.
What lazer pulley tool are you using?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread