Need a little networking help!

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
Im using a linksys wireless router setup with my three computers. I have it as close to the middle of the house as possible. My two desktops are running fine off of wires but my lap top is having hell connecting in my back bedroom. It cant be more than 40 feet away. I can get a "very low" signal in there untill someone gets on the 2.4ghz phone then it just flushes the bandwidth down the pooper. I thought this router would reach farther than it does. What can I do to extend my range where I can get a good signal in the bedroom. Any help is appreciated. Im looking for the cheapest way to go about this.

slow_rider

Established Member
What are your walls made of? is you laptop using a built in card? what is between you and the router (i.e. electronics)?

You could try changing the channel on the router. That might help with the phone issue.

Got5onIt

Mean Green Nation
Established Member
My laptop was having this exact issue a few months ago. The only difference was that it had a very strong signal for a long time. I took it apart and found one of the antennas unplugged.

Have you tried your laptop on another wireless network to verify it is working correctly?

Last edited:

djc

Professional Nerd
Established Member
try a different channel. most people just leave it at the default and you have 10 wireless routers fighting for room on the same channel

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
changed the channel and it increased the signal alot when the phone is operating. thanks for the help. Ive been looking into it and think I will get a bigger antenna.

Users who are viewing this thread