Need a knife for my son, ideas?

NIXDSG

Established Member
My son asked me to borrow a knife last week for work for utility purposes, opening boxes/containers and such. The first one I found was an old Gerber bear grylls that I had sitting in the drawer. It's cheap and functional. I'd like to get him a decent one he can call his own. Not too nice, but functional. Needs to be able to open with one hand, and maybe close with one hand, 3" blade.

What are we buying these days, what are we staying away from?

NIXDSG

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
There are a lot of great options out there. I carry a Cold Steel for every day stuff. I can open and close it with one hand and the blade locks.

**** Biden

NIXDSG

Established Member
As much as I like multi tools, he seems to like clipping the knife onto his pocket. He doesn't normally wear a belt to carry a multi tool.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'd say a little Buck knife. He'll probably cut things he shouldn't be, it'll probably get pretty damn dirty and he may even lose it. I'd stay around the 30.00 range tops. As he gets older and safer you can step his knives up. The good thing is he is learning responsibility for something that could be dangerous and the maintenance of it. Crazy important items in life. My Grandfather gave me my first knife...I'll post a picture. Also..not a bad choice ;)
Knife.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have one of these that I use frequently and I Iove it. Super easy to open, without a thumb pin too.
Good find!

If his son is mainly using a blade for cutting, then he really only needs a good blade. This Kershaw knife would be my recommendation. 3" and it gets an 83% 5-star rating on Amazon with over a thousand reviews.

Myusername

Established Member
I like to use a folding razor/ utility blade knife. When the blade gets dull or broken I flip it around or put a new blade in. Great for boxes, stripping wire, etc. and they range from 8-20 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
I like to use a folding razor/ utility blade knife. When the blade gets dull or broken I flip it around or put a new blade in. Great for boxes, stripping wire, etc. and they range from 8-20 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
This. If you're opening boxes in a work environment I would stay away from traditional pocket knives. The blades will dull quickly and become dangerous in a work setting. I am the receiving guy in my building and open a lot of boxes daily. I use a folding utility knife that uses replaceable razor blades. Can't be beat imo.

Something like this:

Duluth Daily Carry Switch Utility Knife

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
This. If you're opening boxes in a work environment I would stay away from traditional pocket knives. The blades will dull quickly and become dangerous in a work setting. I am the receiving guy in my building and open a lot of boxes daily. I use a folding utility knife that uses replaceable razor blades. Can't be beat imo.

Something like this:

This paper/cardboard ****s up blades quick cause these is essentially clay in it. Box cutters for boxes. Huge Gerber Diesel fan, love a good multi. Pliers meet close enough to pull a splinter and all the rest has been used one way or another. Can't tell you how many times in the office people and ripping shit apart with the alligator style staple removers and just come over and grab it with the pliers, job done. Feel naked without a multi in within a few feet.

Thing does everything, make him wear a belt lol

Otherwise boycutter for boxes... just a waste to use a "real knife"

Last edited:

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Another vote for cold steel. I’ve had this knife for years. Used it as a knife, screwdriver, minimal prying, and as a hammer. Never once tightened anything, works like new.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Gerber and kershaw have been my go-tos for years for just standard pocket knifes. Spring assist opening for easy one handed operation.

96dreamer

Established Member
I've been carrying a Benchmade Griptillian for a few years. Solid knife with my favorite opening/ locking mechanism of any knife I've used. Edge has held up well but if it ever deteriorates i'll send it back to Benchmade for a free sharpening they offer on all of their knives.

4.698gt

Established Member
Vote for Kershaw here. Good knife with out being too pricey like a Benchmade or others. I cuts tons of boxes/tape/random other junk all day. I like this One personally, but they make various price ranges and most are American made. I've found the locks to be better on the USA made ones also and I know a thing about a lock failing and closing on a hand. Just teach him proper safety and don't fool around with them period.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

Something like this:

I agree with this. I do a lot of network cabling in my job as well as opening boxes and other miscellaneous things where I need a blade. I have gone through a number of knives of varying sizes and shapes. Nothing beats a 10 dollar folding box cutter

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Kershaw Cryo is a nice one and won’t break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread