Navy guys

AznStanger3v

King of the LOL
Established Member
If you decide to pull the trigger, I'd do everything in my power to make sure I ended up on the officer side. Your hardest day would be taking an ass chewing or getting a papercut. Days are long, but they get paid 2x as much, and that's some zitty faced 22 year old ensign. Don't even get me started on the higher ranks. :whine: I have zero compassion for them. lol.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
If you decide to pull the trigger, I'd do everything in my power to make sure I ended up on the officer side. Your hardest day would be taking an ass chewing or getting a papercut. Days are long, but they get paid 2x as much, and that's some zitty faced 22 year old ensign. Don't even get me started on the higher ranks. :whine: I have zero compassion for them. lol.

+A Billion

I love working a 13 hour shift then saluting a 22 year old butter bar straight out of OCS that's leaving to go see his girlfriend after a 4 hour flight briefing. Rank has it's privileges man. I love what I do but officers the way to go.

Steve@CJPP

I got 4 words for you. Haze Grey and Underway!!!

I have been out since 08 and I miss the hell out of it, I miss deployments and the Military lifestyle.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If you get that far, when dealing with a recruiter:
1. Any promise that isn't in writing, doesn't exist.
2. Any promise that is in writing, " they " may be able to argue & win.
3. His job is to fill billets & the " Needs of the Navy " come first. What ever field he is offering, that's where the need is.
4. You take tests that will decide what areas of " need " you are qualified to fill.
5. Joining the military, enlisted or officer, is a contract. If, after the fact, you break your contract......it will affect the rest of your life.
.......Having said that, I have no regrets about the 20 years I spent in the Navy. ( enlisted ) I was offered a school out of boot camp, but not the field I wanted. I managed to get the field I wanted, but it wasn't the road most people take. My field @ the time gave me a sea / shore rotation of 54 /24. ( 54 months @ sea, 24 @ shore ) In 20 years I had ( 2 ) shore billets and one of them was on a ship. Military life is hard on the wife & kids, moving all the time to who knows where. ( did a 3 year followed by 2 year out of country assignment )
The field I chose did prepare & allow me to land a well paying job with a " top " U.S. company after retirement.
It's not for everybody, but for the " 17 % " who join & stick it out, the rewards are many...good luck with your decision.

crazycarlo

Established Member
I spent 4 years on the Enlisted side in Aviation working on tomcats. Fist with VF-101 then with VF-143. If you would like to know anything just hit me up. I went on cruise, I was an Aviation Electronics Technician. Tomcats are no longer around so you'll more then likely be working with Hornets.

Life wasnt bad man. Yes You work alot esp on cruise. But the healthcare is free, life insurance is cheap. If worse comes to worse you will always have a place to live. It comes with alot of other benefits also. Free gym, MWR facilities. Deals on alot of stuff.

Like everyone says its not for everyone. Some people have a problem with authority, or taking orders from people who are younger then yourself. If you have a bad attitude and a smart mouth you cant control your going to have a hard time.

With a BA id deff look into going in as an Officer.

Marineflyboy

Established Member
+A Billion

I love working a 13 hour shift then saluting a 22 year old butter bar straight out of OCS that's leaving to go see his girlfriend after a 4 hour flight briefing. Rank has it's privileges man. I love what I do but officers the way to go.

I would love to meet somebody that leaves after four hours of work, brief or flight. Just realize that a lot of us work greater than 12 hour days, you might just not see it.

Back on topic. With a degree there is no reason to not go the officer route. I would talk directly to an officer recruiter. An enlisted recruiter will try and get you to go enlisted with talk about becoming an officer later. I dealt with an Officer Selection Officer that deals only with getting guys to OCS. I'm not sure if the Navy has something like that or not but worth looking into.

If you want to go the harder route look into the Marine Corps. If you are set on aviation you can get an aviation contract prior to attending OCS. You will complete OCS, get through TBS and then head to flight school as per your contract. It is a pretty good deal if you can get selected for it.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
I would love to meet somebody that leaves after four hours of work, brief or flight. Just realize that a lot of us work greater than 12 hour days, you might just not see it.

Back on topic. With a degree there is no reason to not go the officer route. I would talk directly to an officer recruiter. An enlisted recruiter will try and get you to go enlisted with talk about becoming an officer later. I dealt with an Officer Selection Officer that deals only with getting guys to OCS. I'm not sure if the Navy has something like that or not but worth looking into.

If you want to go the harder route look into the Marine Corps. If you are set on aviation you can get an aviation contract prior to attending OCS. You will complete OCS, get through TBS and then head to flight school as per your contract. It is a pretty good deal if you can get selected for it.

Was not generalizing all officers. I know how hard some work, and what your saying is vise versa. Some O's think we don't do shit. I really do respect your job though. It gives me one :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread