Navy guys, I have a question...

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I'm doing some WWII research on a relative and have a Navy-related question. Using the famous Sullivan brothers from WWII as an example, they all have a training class of V-6. Can anyone explain what training class V-6 is?

SULLIVAN, Albert Leo, Seaman Second Class, V-6, USNR
SULLIVAN, Francis Henry , Coxswain, V-6, USNR
SULLIVAN, George Thomas, Gunner’s Mate Second Class, V-6, USNR
SULLIVAN, Joseph Eugene, Seaman Second Class, V-6, USNR
SULLIVAN, Madison Abel, Seaman Second Class, V-6, USNR

Dusten

Established Member
i guess i dont understand the question. where did you find the info you have provided.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I am looking through some Navy documents regarding my wife's grandfather who was KIA in WWII. I have a medical officer's report from the day he was killed. All the casualties and wounded are listed as shown above... Name, rank, training class (???), and USN or USNR.

I think I may have found the answer. This is part of a Navy recruiting letter from WWII...

Enlistments are for four years -BUT- men will be released when the present emergency is over REGARDLESS of the time remaining on current enlistment.
Men are given the same opportunities to enter Service Schools and Advance in rating as those in the Regular Navy.
Opportunity for patriotic duty during the emergency, while following one of the many trades offered by the U.S. NAVY.
The following classes are now open.

Class V-2
Age 17 to 28: **Apprentice Seamen, for Aviation Machinist's Mate.

Class V-3
Age 17 to 26: **Apprentice Seamen, for Radioman, Signalman or Yeoman (Clerical).
Telegraphers, Chief, First Class, Second Class or Third Class.
Telegraphers (for Cable Duty), Chief, First Class, Second Class or Third Class.

Class V-5
Age 29 to 27: Must have 2 years college; enlisted as Seaman Second Class for Aviation Cadet Training.

Class V-6
Age 17 to 36: **Apprentice Seaman, for Metalsmith, Machinist's Mate, Electrician's Mate, Carpenter's Mate and Storekeeper.
Age 17 to 50: Any Rating corresponding to those of the Regular Navy.

**Upon completion of recruit training, if qualified in accordance with the present standards for entrance in Service Schools, will be sent to School for instruction in their Specialty. If not qualified, these men will be available for general detail.

Class V-7
Age 20 to 28: Must be College graduate and hold BA, BS or Engineering degree. Enlisted as Apprentice Seaman for three-month training cruise as Midshipman, upon the successful completion of which to be commissioned as Ensign D-V(G) U.S. Naval Reserve.

Users who are viewing this thread