NASA Time Trial TT2 Win Carolina Motorsport Park

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Congrats! Thanks for sharing the video. Looks like fun. My last track day there were two guys in ZL1 1LEs in my group that were flying! My stroker C5 had nothing for them on the straights. I'm just getting into big track events from Autocross with my car.
Do you ever regret not having a manual?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
THAT looked to be a lot of fun. As always, your ZL1 runs well! Nice driving, too!

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
THAT looked to be a lot of fun. As always, your ZL1 runs well! Nice driving, too!

Congrats! Thanks for sharing the video. Looks like fun. My last track day there were two guys in ZL1 1LEs in my group that were flying! My stroker C5 had nothing for them on the straights. I'm just getting into big track events from Autocross with my car.
Do you ever regret not having a manual?

Thanks Cobrabob!

RacerX,

The A10 auto is faster, but the M6 is more engaging. I leave it in drive, since the up and downshifts happen so frequently (I would be doing nothing but hitting paddles). The transmission can overheat during long sessions on hot days, but I've done a few things to minimize the temp. If the 2024 Camaro comes out with the LT5, then I'll consider getting a ZL1 1LE with a M6. That would be the ultimate 6th Gen Camaro and one of the greatest of all time.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Thanks Cobrabob!

RacerX,

The A10 auto is faster, but the M6 is more engaging. I leave it in drive, since the up and downshifts happen so frequently (I would be doing nothing but hitting paddles). The transmission can overheat during long sessions on hot days, but I've done a few things to minimize the temp. If the 2024 Camaro comes out with the LT5, then I'll consider getting a ZL1 1LE with a M6. That would be the ultimate 6th Gen Camaro and one of the greatest of all time.
GM needs to do that as a swansong and then it destroys the GT500, that would be pretty bad ass. I'm more of a GT500 fan, but should GM do this, Ford would need to answer back (yea right), with a GT500R. A lighter, road course focused GT500.

If GM does do an LT5 with an a10, it will probably be lighter than the GT500 dct combo. **** thinking about it gets me excited, now GM just needs to DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Here is an interesting lap comparison of me compared to a amateur driving in a Hendrick Track Attack compared to a pro-driver in a Hendrick Track Attack.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Here is an interesting lap comparison of me compared to a amateur driving in a Hendrick Track Attack compared to a pro-driver in a Hendrick Track Attack.

That video was kind of busy, I ended up just ignoring your portion lol.

Curious what level of amateur that guy is, 2.X seconds is a lifetime for that short of a lap but that's not bad if he is new to it.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I know it is information overload, especially on a smart phone. He's an advanced driver.
Makes sense. We have a professional driver who comes out and helps some of the guys on practice days. I think he is usually 1.5 seconds faster in their own cars on slightly longer laps. One of them was less than .5 of him and was pretty proud about it.

blk02edge

Established Member
Makes sense. We have a professional driver who comes out and helps some of the guys on practice days. I think he is usually 1.5 seconds faster in their own cars on slightly longer laps. One of them was less than .5 of him and was pretty proud about it.
One of our instructors is a Porsche hall of fame driver, won the PWC series, Indy lites, road to Indy blah blah blah. And one of the members at A27 bought his championship winning cup car. Guy is in his 60's... After a couple weeks of training ended up throwing down a faster lap than him... Pretty cool I thought. No prior racing history

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
One of our instructors is a Porsche hall of fame driver, won the PWC series, Indy lites, road to Indy blah blah blah. And one of the members at A27 bought his championship winning cup car. Guy is in his 60's... After a couple weeks of training ended up throwing down a faster lap than him... Pretty cool I thought. No prior racing history
That's rad.

None of our guys can touch the pro lol.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's incredible.

Sent from my Potato

Blackoyote

Established Member
Absolutely rolling, running lap times a couple seconds quicker than I run on a 600 out there!

Can't wait to get our there in my Boss, will be happy to see 1:5x lol.

Aeneas137

Established Member
I rode with a comp guy at Sonoma in his 2018 ZL1-1LE and it was incredible with massive acceleration and hard braking. But interestingly, it couldn't keep going the whole 20 minutes, slightly ran off the track at one point and he blamed hot tires. IDK if he was pushing too hard or not being my first time in one. I also noticed the AT having a hard time on the straights, but my idea of "hard time" could be just an aggressive shift and normal.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I rode with a comp guy at Sonoma in his 2018 ZL1-1LE and it was incredible with massive acceleration and hard braking. But interestingly, it couldn't keep going the whole 20 minutes, slightly ran off the track at one point and he blamed hot tires. IDK if he was pushing too hard or not being my first time in one. I also noticed the AT having a hard time on the straights, but my idea of "hard time" could be just an aggressive shift and normal.
20 minutes is a long session and you would need to set very low cold starting pressures to not go over after 15 minutes. The Goodyear 3R tires are best 34-36 psi hot. They start to drop off in grip around 37-38 psi. They are done at 39-40 psi and start to overheat.

The brakes are good for long sessions if you switch to Castrol SRF brake fluid.

There is no getting around a supercharged engine pulling power when it's hot. Overall the car's fastest laps are typically 3-8 on a 1:40 road course. After that, you are just burning gas and tires. You can extend the session by doing two cool down laps at 65% speed and then running another 3-4 laps.

The A10 transmission is super sensitive to fluid level and setting it is a pain in the ass. You have to get it up to max temp on the track (240+ F). Haul ass into the pits, get it up level on jackstands, and remove a drain plug with the car still running while trying not to go to the burn ward. I have a Banks OBDII gauge and Trans temp is on the very top!

Users who are viewing this thread