NASA National Auto Sports Association

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
What is the opinion of NASA events. I was just looking on there site and they run a lot of track events about 8 this year in Florida. I am thinking about joining and doing some events with them.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/

They seem to be very structured which could be a good and safe thing.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Actually they are a little more lax than most? But they are a great organization! I only did one event with them so far.

They cancelled their Road America event on us!!:cryying:

I'm looking forward to running HPDE4 with them again. It's a blast!:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
I joined and participated in a NASA/Viginia event at Summit Point last month in HPDE 1.

I thought enough of the program & people to enroll in this w-e's event as well.

Link

I think the structure & attitudes made for a safe/instructional climate.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
What type of racing are you interested in? They have a couple of race groups (big bore, small bore) and four HPDE groups.

NASA is the "parent" and they have individual regions. I know nothing about the FL region.

This may help: NASA forums

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Next Feb. 2005, NASA Virgina will be running an HPDE event on the full long course. I know many have expressed a desire to run the full course so here is our chance. All depending on weather conditions to and from the track!

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Brian: NASA is divided into several regions. So far I have only tried the OH/IN one and enjoyed it. Bruce mentioned they are a little more lax (especially teching cars), but run their events well. Ted and I love their HPDE 4/Time Trials which has open passing anywhere - including corners. Once you work up to that level, it's the most fun you can have without actually racing. BTW, their races are fun to watch, but as Doc pointed out the lack of a 13/13 rule makes some of us skeptical to enter.

If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to try one of their HPDE events. The only other downside is you don't get as much track time as with some club events.

BTW Ken, there are several other full course VIR events you can chose from. Ted and I have loved the Audi events there (both full course). We'll be doing their December one this year.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Feb?????

Originally posted by NJ2000R
Next Feb. 2005, NASA Virgina will be running an HPDE event on the full long course. I know many have expressed a desire to run the full course so here is our chance. All depending on weather conditions to and from the track!

Ken,

Is that at VIR, or Summit Point?

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Flying Fred
Ken, there are several other full course VIR events you can chose from. Ted and I have loved the Audi events there (both full course). We'll be doing their December one this year.

Fred, what dates in december?

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Re: Feb?????

Originally posted by Cobra R Man
Ken,

Is that at VIR, or Summit Point?

VIR is what I heard....but there arent any 05 schedules out that I can find :shrug:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
I am interested in the open track events HPDE.

The NASA SE region has a very good HPDE program. The head instructor is very good. He has alot of experience in several different types of race cars. He does a good job explaining all the theories in the classroom. He organizes everything very well. They open the paddock on Friday night (until 10pm) so you can get set up and be ready for the track the next morning (8am). Your instructor is responsible for teching your car.

They try to place you with an instructor that drives the same type of car. If you have a Honda, they will try to get you an instructor who drives a Honda in the race group. Same with a Mustang (or even a sports racer).

I've done two Rd Atl dates with them. I was impressed with the owner/organizer, the chief stewart, instructors, and the most important consideration=safety. They had plently of experienced corner workers and medical workers. They ran the schedule on time. They even had a party after the track was closed (free beer). They gave away alot of parts and oil at the party. It was also fun walking around the paddock and inspecting the cars. I was impressed by the level of preparation of most of the Mustangs (and even a Porsche and a couple of Z06s).

As Fred mentioned, I wish they would impose a strictly enforced no-contact rule in the race groups. Vintage (and others) have one they call the 13/13 rule. It has worked exceptionably well in vintage. This rule is addressed to guys that bump (or worse) you on the track. It does not include all racing incidents. Some of those are unavoidable. It doesn't include incidents caused by mechanical failure(s). It is (mostly) meant to encourage other racers to give each other plently of room when negotiating a safe pass (that is why you have mirrors). Should contact occur the chief stewart will contact the corner workers for their opinion of what happened. He then talks to the people involved in the incident as well as other racers that saw the occurence. He may look at any video that he can find. If you are found to be in violation of the no-contact rule, you are placed on probation for 13 months. If you do it again, you are suspended for 13 months. IMO, guys that want to trade paint should go pro or Saturday night short track racing. Most guys I know have already stretched their racing budget to the limit and don't need the additional expense of going to the body shop after every race (or the hospital). Most tracks will also bill you for the wall (or guard rail) that you tear up with the front of your car.
Doc

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
The only thing I am not thrilled about is having to run in HPDE 1 for 3 events. I have no problem admitting what I do and don't know and am not trying to pull the wool over anybody's eyes about it. As an example I am a CCIE, if you don't know what it is its normally viewed as an equivalent to a Doctorate Degree only around 11k people in the world have obtained it in the last 10 years, and I have no problem admitting I am wrong or don’t know something. I am confident on the track with my driving and the instructors who have driven with me have stated that in several ways. My issue is that in my experience most people in the novice run groups don't have any idea about what they are doing and as such are dangerous. They don't have any line, high anxiety on the track, completely unaware of what is going on behind them, and usually very slow. At my last event I by far had the fastest car in my run group and was behind a much slower car for an entire lap who never waved me by at any of the passing areas because I don't think he even knew I was there so I ended up going into the staging area to re-position myself on the track with some room. I am seriously considering taking a Skip Barber course and see if that can bump me up to HPDE 2 or 3.

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
actually i think its the intermediate group thats the most dangerous.

the people that think they're better than they really are (me?). those are the ones to watch out for....

I have a totally different impression of NASA than others here, but I have that impression from reading posts, not from participating in their events. I'm very reluctant to subject myself to a NASA event becuase compared to what i've been attending, they sure seem out of control.

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
As Fred mentioned, I wish they would impose a strictly enforced no-contact rule in the race groups. Vintage (and others) have one they call the 13/13 rule. It has worked exceptionably well in vintage. This rule is addressed to guys that bump (or worse) you on the track. It does not include all racing incidents. Some of those are unavoidable. It doesn't include incidents caused by mechanical failure(s). It is (mostly) meant to encourage other racers to give each other plently of room when negotiating a safe pass (that is why you have mirrors). Should contact occur the chief stewart will contact the corner workers for their opinion of what happened. He then talks to the people involved in the incident as well as other racers that saw the occurence. He may look at any video that he can find. If you are found to be in violation of the no-contact rule, you are placed on probation for 13 months. If you do it again, you are suspended for 13 months. IMO, guys that want to trade paint should go pro or Saturday night short track racing. Most guys I know have already stretched their racing budget to the limit and don't need the additional expense of going to the body shop after every race (or the hospital). Most tracks will also bill you for the wall (or guard rail) that you tear up with the front of your car.

Thx for the 13/13 rule info!

b_tone

East bound and down!!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by NJ2000R

If you guys make it out for the VIR weekend with NASA VA we may enlist you! Mark and I are contemplating running the Sumthin Blue (#29) in the 3 hour enduro on the full course. IF we do it we are going to need some help with pit stops and general around the paddock stuff.

Is anyone interested in potentially helping out?

BPT

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Originally posted by b_tone
If you guys make it out for the VIR weekend with NASA VA we may enlist you! Mark and I are contemplating running the Sumthin Blue (#29) in the 3 hour enduro on the full course. IF we do it we are going to need some help with pit stops and general around the paddock stuff.

BPT

Brian and Mark....if I'm able to go, I'll be glad to help you guys out :thumbsup:

predator

Established Member
Originally posted by b_tone

BPT

Sure! If you need another set of hands for anything I would be glad to help you out!! :beer: I live about 3.5 hours north. :thumbsup: (Just enthusiastically interjecting my desire to even get close to the track with you guys!)

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
What was the famous line in the movie?

"Rubbin's racin' Harry!!!" ;-)

**EDIT**

You know Mark, after looking at those photos it's a shame knowing how much work you guys put into that car. :( It's not like the prize is tens of thousands of dollars to win? Might be worth it if it was? It's not like you have a crew or a shop full of guys like Jack Roush does?

We all know that we do this because we love it but sometimes there comes a point when you really have to weigh the good with the bad and decide if that's what you really have to do?

I hate to see that awesome specimen of yours wrinkled and bruised.

:dw:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread