Mystichrome paint available?

SnkBit

Established Member
Ive heard that Dupont makes the mystichrome paint for SVT. If this is true, can you buy it? I know the 96 Mystic paint wasnt available, but i heard the mystichrome is- am i correct? Does anybody know how much the stuff is? Any help is appreciated.

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I believe it is available and that it is Dupont. I saw a car on another site where the guy claimed it was genuine mystichrome like on the '04 Cobra and it was on his '01 GT. I think I have the pic if it shows up. It looks very purple and blue. There were some that showed a lot of green too. Here it is:

LCCOBRA

Established Member
People try and sell mystic paint on e-bay all the time but I think it's a joke.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Heard that ya really gotta jump through hurdles to get the stuff. Ford Salesman said they'll send you just enough to repair damage.....

1baddog

Established Member
Ok heres the deal.
1. It is supplied to Ford by Dupont
2. It is available to the general public as it is not ford trademarked as the 96 Mystic was and still is and supplied only by BASF Corp. (Glasurit)
3. Cost is about $460.00 per gallon wholesale $650.00 retail
4.Mystic is still about $2500.00 per gallon and you need vin #

Dino S.

Established Member
can't the same effect be produced by layering colors? I know you can do 2 colors, maybe not 8 or whatever the mystichrome is...

1baddog

Established Member
No, The color is achievied by the use of colored mica picture a small synthetic crystal with 4 sides on it in this case each side has a different color on it giving 4 color shift some less expensive colors have three sides however the 1996 Mystic has 4 I'm not sure if the 2004 Mystichrome has 3 or 4.

1baddog

Established Member
Heres a little known fact for you all. the 4 sided mica chips are actually patented by Kodak Company so paint companies have to pay a grip to them for the use of it in their formulas.

capnlbj

Beam Me Up Scotty!
Established Member
A friend with an '04 Mystic bought a quart from Ford to paint a hard tonneau cover. Supposedy it cost well over $700.00.

outlw

Established Member
I can get touch up paint in a small bottle email me if you need some..
cost $10.00+ shipping.

sir-blah

Established Member
Originally posted by LCCOBRA
People try and sell mystic paint on e-bay all the time but I think it's a joke.

I got a quart or so off of e-bay to do the flames on my '69 project. It was the real deal stuff

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
That's really kindof a shame that anyone and their dog can buy this stuff and paint anything this color. But then...Ford has always screwed its customers with exclusivity claims.

That's why the new V6 mustangs have the '99 cobra hood, and why the Harley Davidson F-150 got the Lightning engine, and the GT mustang got the bullit scoops and wheels, and the Mach 1 was brought back for a second year of production.

Ford loves to sucker buyers in with claims that their car will be special, and then screw them. That's life I suppose.

Last edited:

SNKBITE

Established Member
Contrary to popular belief, and not matter what has been claimed on this board, Ford does not sell, and can not sell the Mystic paint that is used on the Cobra..Its that plain and simple.
This original paint is ONLY available to the dealer when they are repainting a damaged Cobra, and then they have to produce the VIN # to the manufacturer of the paint. They will then supply the dealer enough, and ONLY ENOUGH to repaint the damaged area of the Cobra in question.
The only thing I am not certin of is who supplies it. But I beleive it is PPG, and not Dupont.
There are many,many look alikes, sold by other companies, but none are exact as it is a patented and protected formula.
I attempted to obtain this paint in 2001 to paint my Lightning, but even though I work in management at Ford, I could not get it.
Beware of those here that claim they have, or can get it.
Marc

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Originally posted by 1baddog
Ok heres the deal.
1. It is supplied to Ford by Dupont
2. It is available to the general public as it is not ford trademarked as the 96 Mystic was and still is and supplied only by BASF Corp. (Glasurit)
3. Cost is about $460.00 per gallon wholesale $650.00 retail
4.Mystic is still about $2500.00 per gallon and you need vin #

Snkbite,

I think that point #2 is tremendously important here. The paint you attempted to obtain in 2001 was obviously the FORD TRADEMARKED 1996 Mystic color. It appears that only the 2004 Mystic owners are screwed out of their exclusivity.

NukeX

My Shit Got Keyed, Yo
Established Member
Another reason is the paint hasto come from the same batch it was mixed in originally if you are only painting a section of that car. Imagine why the paint for 1996 mystic's is so expensive being theres only so much of it left.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Originally posted by NukeX
Another reason is the paint hasto come from the same batch it was mixed in originally if you are only painting a section of that car. Imagine why the paint for 1996 mystic's is so expensive being theres only so much of it left.

Yea, that's one reason I'm so delighted that they are selling MY paint to Joe Schmoe to paint his motorcycle. *sigh*

Mystichrome

Spoiler Delete
Established Member
I have a mystichrome and I have purchased the dupont mystichrome paint to do a new decklid for mine, as I wanted a spoiler delete mystichrome cobra. Ford accepted my order for a delete car, but then decided to put a spoiler on it anyway, the color is the same as my car

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Maybe I should buy like 600 tiny bottles of the touchup paint, in case my car is ever in an accident someday.

Users who are viewing this thread