Mystichrome Leather?

NAVIG8ER

Established Member
Does anyone have a small amount of leather that is in good shape they would let go? I need to have my steering wheel restored and cannot locate any leather!

HPLouis

Established Member
I’m getting another wheel restored and I’ll be putting it up for sale once done.

These are pics of my first one I just had done.
2.jpg
1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That restored wheel came out really, really good!! I take it your restoration source has a quantity of Mystichrome leather. How many wheels have you gotten restored? Just the one?

HPLouis

Established Member
I went to Dallas Custom Steering Wheel (Dallas Custom Steering Wheel). They didn't have the leather. I had to supply my own. Someone I knew on a FaceBook group had some leather left over and got out of the Mystichrome game and sold me his last pieces of leather. They did a great job with the wheel.

I damaged my current wheel when my ring scratched the leather so I had Dallas Custom create me a replacement wheel and I had enough leather left over for another one so I went on eBay and bought another wheel for them to recover with my remaining leather.

I'm gonna keep one wheel and probably throw the other wheel up on eBay or something for sale since I only need one wheel.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I wonder if they could make the wheel a little thicker? The later model cars tend to be a little thicker and feel better IMO. One of those things where you get the stock look but a better feel.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I went to Dallas Custom Steering Wheel (Dallas Custom Steering Wheel). They didn't have the leather. I had to supply my own. Someone I knew on a FaceBook group had some leather left over and got out of the Mystichrome game and sold me his last pieces of leather. They did a great job with the wheel.

I damaged my current wheel when my ring scratched the leather so I had Dallas Custom create me a replacement wheel and I had enough leather left over for another one so I went on eBay and bought another wheel for them to recover with my remaining leather.

I'm gonna keep one wheel and probably throw the other wheel up on eBay or something for sale since I only need one wheel.
Cool! Thanks for the response and background info. :)

HPLouis

Established Member
I wonder if they could make the wheel a little thicker? The later model cars tend to be a little thicker and feel better IMO. One of those things where you get the stock look but a better feel.

They can. Here is what they emailed me:

The cost to recover your Ford Mustang steering wheel to the factory's specifications with some options available is.
- Wheel $379 (solid black/charcoal leather) or $429 (two-tone, including combine perforated and solid black/charcoal leathers).
- Adding thumb rests $100 (bumps at 10 and 2 o'clock for sporty look likes 10th Anniversary). This option won't be needed if you have an original 10th Anniversary wheel which already had the factory's built-in thumb rests.
- Adding extra padding $75 (if prefer thicker than stock for a comfort feel).
- Adding a stripe $50 (any colored band at 12 o'clock).
- Colored/Style stitching (no extra charge).
- Shipping $30 (CONUS) or $80 (International).
Turn around time about 7-8 days.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
They can. Here is what they emailed me:

The cost to recover your Ford Mustang steering wheel to the factory's specifications with some options available is.
- Wheel $379 (solid black/charcoal leather) or $429 (two-tone, including combine perforated and solid black/charcoal leathers).
- Adding thumb rests $100 (bumps at 10 and 2 o'clock for sporty look likes 10th Anniversary). This option won't be needed if you have an original 10th Anniversary wheel which already had the factory's built-in thumb rests.
- Adding extra padding $75 (if prefer thicker than stock for a comfort feel).
- Adding a stripe $50 (any colored band at 12 o'clock).
- Colored/Style stitching (no extra charge).
- Shipping $30 (CONUS) or $80 (International).
Turn around time about 7-8 days.
That's actually not bad. I thought it would be over a grand. I have my spare wheel and some leather. Might have to send it to him.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That second one came out equally nice. Bidding is already up to $1,025 and there's 3 days to go. With Mystichrome leather no longer being available, this is probably going to climb a bit higher. Maybe you should have kept it a bit longer because the value is just going to increase.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
That second one came out equally nice. Bidding is already up to $1,025 and there's 3 days to go. With Mystichrome leather no longer being available, this is probably going to climb a bit higher. Maybe you should have kept it a bit longer because the value is just going to increase.

That's about what I paid for my NIB wheel. I found it when it was listed for about $700 and kept an eye on it. Suddenly it jumped to $1400. When it dropped back down to the $1000 range I grabbed it.

HPLouis

Established Member

Damn.....I didn't think about that. It really can't hurt to just hold onto it.

Now I'm wondering if I should cancel the auction

Users who are viewing this thread