Mystery squeak... (low mile, stock 03 Cobra)

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Who likes a fun mystery to solve?

So I recently purchased this 12k mile, 1 owner, bone stock 03 Cobra from TN a few weeks ago. Overall the car is great, original owner drove it daily for a few years, then became ill, it got parked, the owner passed away, then his son held onto it in his collection for some time before recently selling it. In the last 16 years, its only been driven 2k miles! But it runs absolutely perfect, no leaks, zero issues, no noises... except for one damn squeak.

I'm at a loss, so wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas based on the conditions of when it is making a noise... or where I should look next (video below)

- Noise happens only AFTER the car is warmed up. It does not happen in the first 1-3 min of driving (so every time I get in and start driving I'm thinking its gone!)
- This tells me its something that gets hot, expands, and slightly touching something else metal?
- Noise happens ONLY when in motion, and kind of continuous but more prominent when car moves up and down over rougher road
- ZERO noise at a stop, at idle, at any RPM - engine idles and runs perfectly fine with zero noises
- Clutch in or out does not affect it
- In gear or neutral does not affect it
- Engine RPM does not affect it
- Not an interior panel from what I can tell
- Sounds like it is coming from by the firewall area
- ZERO horizontal or vertical play in front wheels (ball joint or tie rods have some cracking on the boots but no play)
- Cannot replicate it when parked - bouncing the car up and down on the front shocks is silent

The car was not a garage queen; from what I could tell the first few years the original owner did not have it garaged; it needed a little bit of cleanup underneath, but nothing major. So some of the rubber seals and bushings are a bit worn and cracking. But, the 'warmed up' point tells me it is not suspension related...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Man that’s tough over video.

I can’t even tell if it’s interior or exterior.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

railroad

Established Member
Might put some rubber lubricant on the hood bumpers and any rubber seals. Also lube the hood hinges and latch.
Anything under the hood, rubbing the bottom of the hood.
Hood heat pad probably covers center of engine, check around the edges.
Honda makes some clean and shine or something named like that in a spray can. It is safe on metal, paint, rubber, etc. It cleans and leaves a new like finish on surfaces. It also, lightly lubes surfaces.
Maybe a spray and clean up of the hoses, etc will eliminate the squeak.
good luck.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
can't really hear it in the video so i can't tell you what it is, but i do have a great solution: bassani x-pipe, borla stingers, smaller pulley, and open intake.

you won't be able to hear the squeak anymore and even if you could, you'll have so much fun driving the thing that you wouldn't care anyway!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
THAT'S a tough one. I would have believed it was suspension related but it doesn't squeak until the engine is warmed up. Not a clue based on your post, but I certainly agree with @railroad's recommendations. I hope you find the issue sooner than later.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Hard to say,,

Vent rattle/squeak is my first thought,

I have a tooth pick in mine,,
There is somewhat of a fix on site,

Amazing how it can be so loud and quiet with a touch in 1 spot

shurur

Established Member
Since we are guessing, I'm guessing it is the blower motor bearings..even though you say only when car is moving..

There was a Tsb for the sheet metal in the trunk area rubbing on the frame...fix was to bend the sheet metal so it could not bind.

You need a rider with a stethoscope..

Probably the vents or maybe a mirror mount.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread