My V8 Rx7 at Streets of Willow

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Got to take the car out to Streets of Willow last weekend and the car ran great. This was my 3rd time out to the track with the car since it has been running with the v8.

Here is a video of 3 laps late in the day. The middle lap was a 1:25.3, my best of the day. The car has more in it, I think I can get another second out of it pretty easily with some tweaks and more practice. I have not ran this track in about 3 years.

3 fast laps at Streets of Willow

Here is the full session with no telemetry. I had a good slide at 7:35, and I'm dodging a couple cars that went off at 6:10 - 6:40.

LS1 Rx7 Streets of Willow full session 12/2013

A couple pics of the car..

IMG_1640_zps4eef3661.jpg

IMG_1638_zps6981124d.jpg

C3B66461-AAEA-4450-8103-34CD1E44F549-6555-000005FAAE8DD7C6_zpsba96985c.jpg

IMG_1642_zpsab4eff97.jpg

IMG_1643_zps9db98a28.jpg

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Nice looking build! Gotta be a ton of fun! How much power and what does it weigh? T56?

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Nice looking build! Gotta be a ton of fun! How much power and what does it weigh? T56?

Thanks guys.

I only have about 1500 miles on it since the swap. About half of those are track miles :)

I need to weigh it and dyno it still but it should be under 2700 lbs wet without driver. Weight balance should be right at 50/50 and it probably makes around 410-420 WHP. It gently pulls C6 Z06s on the straights.

The car has a LS1 with forged pistons, valvetrain upgrades and a small cam. The trans is a T56 out of an Fbody, and it has a 8.8 rear center section out of an IRS Explorer with 3.73 gears and a TruTrac.

The chassis was already well sorted with the rotary, so I've just been making adjustments to get the car to put down the extra power.

I still have 50-60 lbs of easy weight to pull out (sunroof, sound deadening tar and some extra wiring) and I will probably get a full cage in the car later this year along with some aero mods.

texaswrx

Established Member
Nice to still see your user name here LOF. It seems like a long time has passed since the Subaru days. Take care.
And, that car must be a blast to drive and track.

John

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I just sold some 31 spline IRS parts to a guy in Florida who's building a twin turbo LS Chevy RX7. Apparently someone makes a kit that uses the Ford center section and stub axles.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
I just sold some 31 spline IRS parts to a guy in Florida who's building a twin turbo LS Chevy RX7. Apparently someone makes a kit that uses the Ford center section and stub axles.

Yep, that is what I have in the car. Ronin Speedworks makes 8.8 conversion kits for the FC (2nd gen like mine) and FD (3rd gen) RX7s. They are my buddies and live down the street from me. Some of the parts were mocked/designed up on my car.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Haven't seen you guys in a while. When are you guys going out again?

We have just been running the Wed. OTR Big Willow events for awhile with rentals or our street cars as I worked on the RX7. It is really good to be hitting the track again.

Steve still has his Cobra, but tracks the black SN95 mustang now, it is a dedicated track car.

Steve, Rusty and I are going to run OTR at Big Willow on Wed the 22nd of this month. I don't know if that works with your schedule.

We will probably do a Saturday event a few weeks after that.. I just haven't figured out where or when. Are you still going out there a lot?

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Nice to still see your user name here LOF. It seems like a long time has passed since the Subaru days. Take care.
And, that car must be a blast to drive and track.

John

It is nice to see you here too! It has been awhile! I saw your thread about your 2014 track pack... it looks great. My buddy has a 2013 track pack, they are awesome cars.

texaswrx

Established Member
It is nice to see you here too! It has been awhile! I saw your thread about your 2014 track pack... it looks great. My buddy has a 2013 track pack, they are awesome cars.

I can't wait to get back out on the track this year. Looking ahead, I would like a dedicated track car one day.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
I can't wait to get back out on the track this year. Looking ahead, I would like a dedicated track car one day.

It is nice not caring if the guy in front of you puts a wheel off and sprays your car with rocks, dirt and debris, instead of letting off you just pass him :beer:.

I tracked this car with the N/A rotary for 2 years before I did the V8 swap, and had a ton of fun and really improved my driving. It only made like 150 HP, and it sucked getting passed all the time on faster tracks, but I had more fun in it than tracking my 04 Cobra believe it or not.

Now it is just silly with the extra power.

Users who are viewing this thread