***my turbo cobra is running better now***

20-COBRA-03

Banned
Hey guys... i have been experiencing what i assumed was spark blowout, after i got my car 'tuned' at a local shop. I brought the car to them with NGK BR7EF's gapped at .030 to.032... For some reason, he said they were not working too well with my setup, and insisted that I put NGK TR-6's back in at .032... He tuned the car like that, and i had a constant problem since it came off of the dyno (yes, it was a loaded MD). The AFR was close to where it should be, but i had another problem. Almost every single time i tried to stay in it at full load, the car would break up something fierce. It would always happen around 4500-4700rpm's or so. I tried to throw more fuel at it up top, and it still broke up. I took my WeaponX coils out and tried swapping my stock coil packs back in, problem persisted.

I finally got around to addressing a few things that i wanted to fix. I ended up ditching my 4in charge pipe, in favor of a 3in pipe... as the 4in was probably skewing my MAF quite a bit. I also got rid of my little odyssey battery and threw a big optima in, out back ofcourse... the only place i had room. I also took the time to change the shit TR-6's out. I pulled them out, and although I had gapped them at .032 when they went in... some how they were between .038 and .042 when i pulled them out?!?!? I did some reading, and opted for the Autolite AR94's. I gapped them at .028 to start. I put them in, leaving the WeaponX coils in place. I did a couple of quick pulls, noticed that the AFR was leaning quite a bit up top. I then threw a bit more fuel at it, in small intervals... until i got it close, before i romped on it. I ended up seeing 11.8-11.7's up top, damn close to what i have the fueling tables calling for, so i left it there for now.

So, after i got the fueling safe, i ripped it through a couple gears... and made a couple pulls. I am sure that i pulled it well above 4700rpm's... and the car didn't miss a beat. It didn't break up at all, no spark blowout, no signs of detonation... etc. I was ecstatic to be able to stay in it, with out the car breaking up. My only concern is that the weather being cold (maybe 20deg), may have been responsible for the car running cleaner than before, but i hope that is not the case. I'm sure that if the problem was not resolved, the car would still break up, even in the freezing cold. Any input would be appreciated! -Bob

BTW, a quick run down on the car...

Single turbo, Stock longblock, TH400, VMP slot meter from Justin, 3in charge pipe, Sullivan intake, about 14lbs. boost on the gate, WeaponX, Autolite AR94's, Stock ECU, Tuning with Sniper...

20-COBRA-03

Banned
what the car make through the th400 on 14lbs if you dont mind me asking.

the car never did get dialed in 100pct... but it did make 515rwhp530rwtq thru the auto on about 13 to 14lbs. He stopped the pull at around 5800rpm's. He had it at 15 or 16deg up top.

20-COBRA-03

Banned
that doesn't mean too much... dyno #'s are sort of irrelevant, as every dyno is going to yield something different. there are way too many variables involved. my car won't even see the dyno after i crank the boost. all i care about is keeping the AFR where it belongs, and the timing conservative.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I had this problem too. Plug gaps were way too big and I'm not sure how that happened.

Is detonation a possible cause? There were no other signs of detonation.

It was an amazing feeling regapping them and having the car pull all the way to 7500 without a hiccup. My t45 and king cobra clutch aren't up to the task anymore though. I was kind of hoping I could wait it out for a padding shifted dual clutch transmission option to become available but that's probably several years off at best.

01-04Cobra

Established Member
What was happening to you? Pre-ignition? I'm having a similar issue on pump 93 after 15 psi, but on the dyno we pulled a number of 20-22 psi runs and produced 680-690 rwhp. On E85 the cars runs fine and made close to 800, but on 93 is crap again. Had the turbo rebuilt since we thought it was blowing oil into the chambers, and it was bad, we had oil in the in pipes, dripping from the BOV, etc. but the turbo is now rebuilt and still the same.

Users who are viewing this thread