My turbo build so far

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
That’s unique, I like it! Looks perfect off the silver. And good score on insurance paying for fresh paint on the bumper and hood. Hope that doesn’t hurt the title though. I don’t assume you’ll be getting rid of that car anytime soon with all the blood sweat and tears put into it

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Thanks, Harpell Fab puts them on their rad covers and I loved the look, lots of patients to put it on lol.

car already had a accident on the title so I don't care. Don't plan on selling the car soon if ever.

Sent from my SM-G991U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
Very happy with how the rad cover came out.

but being a typical project car I found some coolant oil mixture.. Unfortunately I need to pull the oil cooler off and rebuild it now.

When I picked it up from the body shop the oil had gone bad from so many cold starts with e85 and condensation. Some oil was coming out of the down pipe. So I towed the car home.

Checked spark plugs, bore scope the Cylinders, flushed oil, let the car run for about 2 min and started to blow smoke and oil out the exhaust again. Found oil and coolant mixing. Only thing I can think is the oil cooler since pluhs and Cylinders looked good.

well see what happens after the oil cooler rebuild, I ordered the speed concepts kit that has all O rings and block gasket. Really hoping I don't have to get the turbo rebuilt but if I do, I'll do the ball bearing upgrade.

20210423_205739.jpeg
20210422_212935.jpeg

Last edited:

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Hopefully it’s just the cooler rebuild. I get sporadic smoke once in a while usually when coming up to a light after being on it but not all the time. Compression test is excellent

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
I'll be doing a compression check and leak down as well.

I pulled the wastegates and there is no sign of oil or water inside so smoke is coming from the turbo hotside. Also checked the cold side pipes and there is no oil, which gives me hope lol.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'll be doing a compression check and leak down as well.

I pulled the wastegates and there is no sign of oil or water inside so smoke is coming from the turbo hotside. Also checked the cold side pipes and there is no oil, which gives me hope lol.

Same here, I do have a leaking oil return hose that was replaced once, but even wrapped it’s close to the exhaust. Plugs are all consistent and clean. Could just be a seal on the turbo. Those happen. Or smoke can be a fueling issue too. I just need to learn some more.

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
Same here, I do have a leaking oil return hose that was replaced once, but even wrapped it’s close to the exhaust. Plugs are all consistent and clean. Could just be a seal on the turbo. Those happen. Or smoke can be a fueling issue too. I just need to learn some more.

I do see some oil from under the turbo, might be the drain.

I will probably make a stainless drain pipe to thead in so I don't have to worry about it melting. I have a good 3" of air space around the drain and pipes are ceramic so I'd hope that would help.

Next weekend I'll be pulling the turbo off and the cooler to inspect it all.

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
After some digging found that in fact the factory oil cooler had failed.

After removing it I said **** it and decided to delete the factory cooler and put in a 19 row air to oil cooler from mishimoto. I liked their fitment of the radiator so figured the coer would be solid aswell.

finished all the oil lines, new fter location, and mounting the oil cooler.

oil changes will be about 9-10.5qts of oil between the relocation lines, cooler, and turbo.

looking forward to finishing up the lower radiator hose and driving the car this weekend.
20210619_205150.jpeg
20210621_191702.jpeg
20210621_191710.jpeg
20210621_191716.jpeg
20210621_201248.jpeg
20210621_201548.jpeg

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
Well as luck would have it, the factory cooler had the last laugh, my turbo seals are blown and I have to send it off for rebuild. I will be doing a BB upgrade as well since it will be at percision.

Positive note-
car got to operating temp and no leaks from coolant or oil system. Oil is still clear and clean as well so it 110% proves it was the oil cooler causing the coolant/oil mix.

Someday I'll get to drive again...

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
THE CAR GODS HAVE BLESSED ME!

I spoke with precision this morning whom said turbo is likely fine if no metal shavings were in the oil.

They said pull the down pipe, clean all oil I can find then rev to 2-3000 rpm for a few min. if smoke doesn't get worse go for a drive.

Well I did just that and decided **** it let's drive. Drove fine, got on the freeway for a 3-4 pull and sure enough no more smoke, drove maybe 15 miles and zero smoke or issues. got home and no smoke at idle or anywhere else.

Time to get back to dyno with 18psi springs for base tune and final tune of 24psi.

Thanks to all that have been following and messaging me suggestions!

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
Been driving the car and enjoying it last few weeks. Met up with a buddy who has a built motor c6 grand sport vert with a procharger making 750whp. I spun the shit out of 3rd doing 60 and money shifted 4th to only have 7 neutrals after.

Already have a 26 spline on the bench so I ordered a new 26 spline clutch disc,tob, tob sleeve, pilot bearing, and shim kit. Parts should be here friday, hopefully knock it out this coming weekend.

I fully expected to break this 10 spline. It and the stock axels are what I expect to break while racing. partially to try and save the rest of the trans and rear diff.

Last edited:

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
Well got the trans out and sure enough the 10 spline let go.

I'll be dropping off the trans to a local shop that builds t56s. They will swap input shafts and rebuild whatever is needed while it's apart.

Hopefully have it back within a week or 2. I already have a Tremec 26 spline, and a lethal performance tob sleeve to drop off with the trans.
20210801_205957.jpeg
20210801_211006.jpeg
20210801_211014.jpeg

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Damn, I have a spec 3+ disc 26 spline laying around that I never used. Glad you have it all sorted out and will be back on the road shortly

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
Dropped off the transmission to a local SF bay area shop called All standard Transmission.

Guy had a ton of T56 for GM and mustangs. Stocks tremec parts and have the shim kits already. he said should be done by the end of the week. I'm opting for a rebuilt and replace what's needed. Can't want to have some smooth shifts at 7k rpm.

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
Went by the trans shop to drop off parts from lethal. Found that 5th sycro teeth were a little chewed so we are sourcing a new 5th, otherwise carbon fiber syncros and new bearings going with the 26 spline. all tremec parts that were already instock. should be rocking this weekend.

Also got some garage art to bring home.
20210803_102701.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread