(MY!!!) Terminator OIL recommendations and capacities.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
How many quarts of that synchromax do you use? I was thinking 3 of the ATF and one of the synchromax. Does that sound right?

I was assuming you use nothing but RP Syncromax. 4.1 quarts.

I'm buying a Lincoln oil gun (Amazon.com: Lincoln Lubrication 615 20 oz. Suction Gun: Automotive) to replace the fluid in the T56. I'm tired of crappy chinese-made auto parts pumps. Hope this it will last longer than just this 1 job.

What do you guys use for supercharger fluid? Ford's supercharger fluid is $25 for 4oz and we need 8oz. Thinking about just sticking with the trusty old Mobil 1 10w30 per CobraBob's FAQ.

98SaleenSnake

Established Member
I was assuming you use nothing but RP Syncromax. 4.1 quarts.

I'm buying a Lincoln oil gun (Amazon.com: Lincoln Lubrication 615 20 oz. Suction Gun: Automotive) to replace the fluid in the T56. I'm tired of crappy chinese-made auto parts pumps. Hope this it will last longer than just this 1 job.

What do you guys use for supercharger fluid? Ford's supercharger fluid is $25 for 4oz and we need 8oz. Thinking about just sticking with the trusty old Mobil 1 10w30 per CobraBob's FAQ.

why don't you just take the shifter off and remove the fill plug and fill the trans up thru shifter hole?

the motor I have has about 76000 miles on it I was thinking the 10w-30 hps that sound right?

Ghost17

Established Member
Ordered the HPS from Jegs @ $8.30 per quart, free shipping. Grabbed the RP filter locally at Pep Boys, will be going in later this week on the new (to me) 03 :rockon: Vert

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
This is a dumb question, but what are the affects from switching from RP back to the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend?

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
This is a dumb question, but what are the affects from switching from RP back to the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend?
Previous owner of my cobra is the owner of the dealership and always used mc syn blend 520. I do the same and change oil once a Year since I put 1k miles on a year. If your not racing and just street the car syn blend should do just fine if changed frequently.

As far as lubriciation, syn blend will protect less but are you ripping on it constantly? Only thing I don't know is will it effect the seals by switching back. Cant see a major issue by switching back. I'm sure others will chime in.

If you track the car or rip down the 1/4 mi I would consider royal purple or amsoil.

getTwisted

Established Member
Previous owner of my cobra is the owner of the dealership and always used mc syn blend 520. I do the same and change oil once a Year since I put 1k miles on a year. If your not racing and just street the car syn blend should do just fine if changed frequently.

As far as lubriciation, syn blend will protect less but are you ripping on it constantly? Only thing I don't know is will it effect the seals by switching back. Cant see a major issue by switching back. I'm sure others will chime in.

If you track the car or rip down the 1/4 mi I would consider royal purple or amsoil.

Thanks for the reply. I don't rip on the car or track it. I'll hit full boost every once in a while but I just enjoy cruising in it more than anything.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

There is no issue what so ever. You'll just be switching to a less robust and less protective cheaper oil.
Anyone can switch from synthetic back to conventional or synth blend at any time and can switch back again to synthetic at any time as well.

getTwisted

Established Member
There is no issue what so ever. You'll just be switching to a less robust and less protective cheaper oil.
Anyone can switch from synthetic back to conventional or synth blend at any time and can switch back again to synthetic at any time as well.

Thank you Jimmy, great info!

meanstang007

Established Member
I strongly believe in Royal Purple products. That's all I used in my 2000 GT and now when I got my TR Cobra I immediately changed all the fluids with RP. Although I have not used the HPS series but I may just do that during the next flush and fill.

VADER*

*the original
Established Member
Hey Jimmy, I have an 04 cobra with 19K, drive it maybe once a month, living in FL, what weight type of RP do you recommend? I think I need something for easy startups but able to take the heat of FL. I just changed with mobil 1 5-30 approx. 200 miles ago, but I will top off with RP since I only used 6 qts for now, and change it soon.

Last edited:

pdm

Established Member
Just so I don't bump an old thread, I'll ask this here. This is the referenced thread: Royal Purple HPS oil in your TERMINATOR?

Jimmy, in post #19, you stated, "Since the reformulation to bring our SAE/API street oils into SN compliance and Synerlec being removed from all but the 5W-40..."
In post #60, you stated, "A suitable substitute that would be less costly would be HPS 10W-30 (part #31130, quart bottle) or HPS 5W-30 (part #31530, quart bottle). Though it does have less, HPS does have a very generous dose of both Synerlec and the ZDDP anti wear additive."

HPS is marketed as a "street" oil. Is it not an API/SAE oil and subject to SN compliance?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Just so I don't bump an old thread, I'll ask this here. This is the referenced thread: Royal Purple HPS oil in your TERMINATOR?

Jimmy, in post #19, you stated, "Since the reformulation to bring our SAE/API street oils into SN compliance and Synerlec being removed from all but the 5W-40..."
In post #60, you stated, "A suitable substitute that would be less costly would be HPS 10W-30 (part #31130, quart bottle) or HPS 5W-30 (part #31530, quart bottle). Though it does have less, HPS does have a very generous dose of both Synerlec and the ZDDP anti wear additive."

HPS is marketed as a "street" oil. Is it not an API/SAE oil and subject to SN compliance?

That is correct,
To make your selection of Royal Purple automotive engine oils easier and to also show you how our different oils rank with each other in terms of performance and protection, I will list them below in order, listed from awesome at the top to most awesome at the bottom.
Royal Purple SAE 5W-20 (part #01520, quart bottle) / Royal Purple SAE 5W-30 (part #01530, quart bottle);
SAE/API: http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-motor-oil/

For a significant upgrade in performance and protection including the addition of our proprietary Synerlec additive technology and more ZDDP anti-wear additive:
Royal Purple HMX 5W-30 (part #11744, quart bottle)(part #11748, 5 quart bottle);(only available in a 30 weight)
HMX High Mileage: http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/hmx-high-mileage-motor-oil/

For an even more significant upgrade in performance and protection, with even more Synerlec and even more ZDDP:
Royal Purple HPS 5W-20 (part #31520, quart bottle) / Royal Purple HPS 5W-30 (part #31530, quart bottle);
HPS: http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/hps-motor-oil/
The HPS series can be ordered from any local NAPA or O’Reilly store, though O’Reilly stores do use their own unique part numbers, HPS5-20 = RP part #31520 / HPS5-30 = RP part #31530

The ultimate option is an a little bit expensive option, however our XPR racing oil can be used in normal street driven applications.
XPR Racing: http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/xpr-racing-oil/
Royal Purple XPR 5W-20 (part #01011, quart bottle) / Royal Purple XPR 5W-30 (part #01021, quart bottle)

sonic_whine2003

Car Crazy
Established Member
Great info! I do plan on going with the hps oil, but I'm a believer in the motorcraft oil filter. Would that be fine with that new oil? I put about 2k miles a year.

Since your changing only once a year, then id go with the RP filter instead of the Motorcraft, because RP uses a synthetic elements inside which don't break down like the motorcraft will.....Don't get me wrong the Motorcraft filter is a pretty good filter if you drive your car and do regular oil changes every 3k-5k but sinceu don't and it sits id go RP

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Mr. sidecarr, Just wondering, does the XPR use high amounts of zinc and phosphorus like many "race" oils do?

On a side note, I was beginning to think you died and dropped of the face of the earth. Haven't read a post by you in the Terminator sections in ages. I haven't read this thread sense it was started some years ago.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Mr. sidecarr, Just wondering, does the XPR use high amounts of zinc and phosphorus like many "race" oils do?

On a side note, I was beginning to think you died and dropped of the face of the earth. Haven't read a post by you in the Terminator sections in ages. I haven't read this thread sense it was started some years ago.

Yes, of all our engine oils the XPR series has the most zinc and phosphorous. Typical/nominal batches will be in excess of 1300ppm zinc and phosphorous each. That's not as crazy high as some of our competitors race oils though, it's enough to get the job done handily without concessions to marketing people wanting to brag about high numbers. XPR also has the most Synerlec.

Nope, not dead(thank you GOD!) just don't have the time I used to have to do much posting.

Users who are viewing this thread