(MY!!!) Terminator OIL recommendations and capacities.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I answered a PM from a member here and afterwards he asked me why I don't just post it all in a thread, so that if it is searched it will pop up. I didn't really have a compelling reason not to so here you go.

Hopefully next time someone actually bothers to do a search something helpful will pop up.

If you don't want to use Royal Purple, use what you want. The rest of the viscosity and quantity info is still there so you can use what you prefer.

Engine: Royal Purple SAE 5W-30 (part #01530,quart bottle) or Royal Purple SAE 5W-20(part #01520, quart bottle).
Or for a very significant upgrade in performance and protection Royal Purple HPS 5W-30 (part #31530, quart bottle)or Royal Purple HPS 5W-20 (part #31520, quart bottle);

6 quarts(dip stick readings are all over the map on these cars so you can actually safely use 7 quarts without issue)

Mostly drag focused cars will benefit from higher horsepower and better round to round consistency by using a 5w-20.

Cars consistently seeing very high oil temperatures or road race type track events should probably be using a 5w-30.

For highly modified or dedicated race usage engines, Royal Purple XPR 5W-30 (part #31130, quart bottle) or Royal Purple XPR 5W-20 (part #01021, quart bottle) XPR can also be used in daily driven normal cars with cats for decades with out issue.

Engine Oil Filter: Royal Purple Extended Life Synthetic Oil Filter (part #20-820)(available at most Pep Boys and available from many online sellers)

Manual Trans: Royal Purple Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle); 4.1 quarts; Or a Mercon/Dexron ATF.

Differential: Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-140 (part #01301, quart bottle); 1.5 quarts;

Power Steering: Royal Purple Max EZ (part #01326, 12- oz bottle) or Royal Purple Max ATF (part #01320, quart bottle; Or a Mercon/Dexron ATF.

Updated availability info.
Due to Royal Purple HPS being a new product in may of 2011, you are not likely to find it on a local store shelf. However a special order is possible at your local NAPA and O’Reilly’s.
When getting HPS locally does not work out it is definitely available and shipping online at:

Lucky7trucks.com: http://www.lucky7trucks.com/_e/dept/08-001-011/HPS_High_Performance_Street_Oil.htm
Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/Royal-Purple/?autoview=ProductName
Jegs: http://www.jegs.com/i/Royal+Purple/831/31130/10002/-1
Pace Performance: http://paceperformance.com/search.html?q=royal+purple&go=Search
Amazon.com:

Jim Morrissey

Royal Purple Technical Services

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Great info! I do plan on going with the hps oil, but I'm a believer in the motorcraft oil filter. Would that be fine with that new oil? I put about 2k miles a year.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good info Jimmy. But a question. Do you recommend Royal Purple? :poke: :lol1: Seriously, though, RP does have an awesome product line. I envy your job my friend. :)

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
good suggestions but they are more opinions in my "opinion"

there are other great oils out there like amsoil, mobile one, redline,ect...

but the ones you posted are good suggestions

same for filters

check out this website for a filter study

Engine Oil Filter Study

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
good suggestions but they are more opinions in my "opinion"

there are other great oils out there like amsoil, mobile one, redline,ect...

but the ones you posted are good suggestions

same for filters

check out this website for a filter study

Engine Oil Filter Study

So what you're saying is....I should use royal purple?

Are these opinions? Or are they recommendations?

Use what ever you want.

I've been using Royal Purple about 10 years, however I've only been working there since May of this year. I thought it was the best 10 years ago and still think that today. Working there has just confirmed much of what I suspected about the overall quality and phenomenal film strength.

Speaking of film strength.
Royal Purple Performance Lubricants

Oh by the way, still no tick @ 29,000+ miles. WOT? What's that? :)

Last edited:

4vmn12

Perpetual project creator
Established Member
Although some of these new oil technologies are just coming out, it may be difficult to have much "time in the saddle", even if someone has 2 years, and 30k miles that would likely give more of us some confidence. I need to see validation / durability results! :)

Honestly making 2 or 4 more HP doesn't make that much difference to me, making my $6k to $10k engine last longer, helping the hydraulic lifters to maintain control at higher rpms, helping my rod and all bearings live as long as possible. This is my primary concern!
I'll be frank, spending more money and having flashy terms does not always equal a better result. Does anyone know if these touted certs, mileage claims, features advertised, i.e. film strength are good for the overall engine function and durability? i.e. 4.6 Ford Cobra lifters, etc? These are only questions. I think many are unanswered without further results.
I'm not dissing any product, I just think it would be a good idea to start a thread so that owners can share application specific durability info.

Sample data set: Cobra engine, o.e. or aftermarket bearings, induction/usage, etc. X model designation of oil, for X amount of total time, and X amount of miles (approximate), and of XwXX grade, with X number of quarts. If street driven (or?), and duration of time between changes.

Of course everyone may not be analytically minded like a typical engineer, but I'd bet many would feel more comfortable about switching to a newer oil model/spec if there were some kind of application specific validation results.

For now, I'll continue to run my tried and true Mobil 1 5w30 and 3.5-4.2k mile changes! I've used both Mobil 1 filters and Motorcraft FL1A?-the large filter, 70k miles no issues. I'm never going to be the guy whom expects a filter to last longer than 5k miles. (nevermind 10 or 15). I'm just going to change the oil and filter because it is damn cheap insurance. If there is an oil which improves function and durability then I will consider it.
BTW, I know some have had good results with Amsoil and longer duration oil changes. My friend uses amsoil oil, and filters and changes his "chevy" truck at 15k mile intervals, basically once a year. I've also heard of Nissan and Honda/acura vehicle users (with engines that I presume have tighter tolerances) try to do the same only to loose a rod bearing at around the 7.5k mile mark (with a darn near new engine - 1 year old car with 20k miles or so)! This was from 2-3 vehicle examples that I read about and who knows what exactly caused it. Just sharing that as it is enough caution for me to reinforce the notion: don't believe everything you read on the internet applies to your application like a blanket, or actually has a benefit to your specific engine!

Having said that, 10 years with RP products that is a good experience to share, but I'm sure that was with different products? Anyway sound like you have some good results to share with road racing in the picture too.

Just my .02

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Although some of these new oil technologies are just coming out, it may be difficult to have much "time in the saddle", even if someone has 2 years, and 30k miles that would likely give more of us some confidence. I need to see validation / durability results! :)

Honestly making 2 or 4 more HP doesn't make that much difference to me, making my $6k to $10k engine last longer, helping the hydraulic lifters to maintain control at higher rpms, helping my rod and all bearings live as long as possible. This is my primary concern!
I'll be frank, spending more money and having flashy terms does not always equal a better result. Does anyone know if these touted certs, mileage claims, features advertised, i.e. film strength are good for the overall engine function and durability? i.e. 4.6 Ford Cobra lifters, etc? These are only questions. I think many are unanswered without further results.
I'm not dissing any product, I just think it would be a good idea to start a thread so that owners can share application specific durability info.

Sample data set: Cobra engine, o.e. or aftermarket bearings, induction/usage, etc. X model designation of oil, for X amount of total time, and X amount of miles (approximate), and of XwXX grade, with X number of quarts. If street driven (or?), and duration of time between changes.

Of course everyone may not be analytically minded like a typical engineer, but I'd bet many would feel more comfortable about switching to a newer oil model/spec if there were some kind of application specific validation results.

For now, I'll continue to run my tried and true Mobil 1 5w30 and 3.5-4.2k mile changes! I've used both Mobil 1 filters and Motorcraft FL1A?-the large filter, 70k miles no issues. I'm never going to be the guy whom expects a filter to last longer than 5k miles. (nevermind 10 or 15). I'm just going to change the oil and filter because it is damn cheap insurance. If there is an oil which improves function and durability then I will consider it.
BTW, I know some have had good results with Amsoil and longer duration oil changes. My friend uses amsoil oil, and filters and changes his "chevy" truck at 15k mile intervals, basically once a year. I've also heard of Nissan and Honda/acura vehicle users (with engines that I presume have tighter tolerances) try to do the same only to loose a rod bearing at around the 7.5k mile mark (with a darn near new engine - 1 year old car with 20k miles or so)! This was from 2-3 vehicle examples that I read about and who knows what exactly caused it. Just sharing that as it is enough caution for me to reinforce the notion: don't believe everything you read on the internet applies to your application like a blanket, or actually has a benefit to your specific engine!

Having said that, 10 years with RP products that is a good experience to share, but I'm sure that was with different products? Anyway sound like you have some good results to share with road racing in the picture too.

Just my .02

Since I have been answering calls and emails here in the tech department, some of the personal experience testimonies from race car owners, engine builders and grass roots enthusiasts have been very encouraging, THE WORD IS GETTING OUT.

Royal Purple is less and less being thought of as snake oil and more and more being considered a secret weapon.

However a secret weapon that is becoming less secret every year.

Street vehicle engines are normally not torn down unless something seriously bad happens, on these cars it's usually detonation destroyed pistons that no oil on the planet could have saved. Though exhaust guide wear(tick) is real and not really all that rare.

Race engines are regularly torn down so feed back is more frequent and comments are usually weighted differently given the level of expertise of most of the builders.

Oils have come a long way though and even regular maintenance with normal every day conventional oils can produce amazingly high mileages on today's roller follower, roller chain engines. 90s through early 2000s vintage Lincoln Town cars with 300,000+ miles on the original engines are not uncommon.

Royal Purple is for the folks who want more than just good.

For sure film strength matters, especially on start ups but also near the end of a 20 minute session.

If I can use an oil with the most film strength I can find, as long as there are no other short comings like some additives are known to have, then that's what I'll run.

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
What weight of oil?

I know there have been a million threads on oil, but what weight of oil is everyone using? I use Mobil 1 full synthetic at the factory recommended weight. What weight is everyone else using?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
some guys run 5W20,0W30,5W30,10W30 and Anabolic says he runs the old school pushrod 20W50 which is surely on the thick side for a 4V Modular..

Users who are viewing this thread