My Terminator build

Wallace7666

Established Member
Well guys I've had my 2003 10th anniversary for about a year now and it has developed the head tick. Its pretty loud and can hear it while sitting in the drivers seat with the door and hood closed. Still runs excellent and pulls hard but its annoying at best, so I've decided to pull the motor and give it some 9 thread heads with a few other goodies. My budget is about 2k not including price of heads. I found heads but would like some input from you guys. The heads are bare so I will need everything (cams, springs, valves, retainers, etc..). My question is what route should I go? What brand/stage cams should I get and what supporting parts? I am new to the DOHC engines, I have taken apart pushrod motors before but these engines admittedly scare me. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks.

SlowSVT

Established Member
If you need to replace the valve guides use the OEM powdered metal guides which will hold-up better than bronze in this motor especially on the exhaust side which lacks a boss cast around the guide and are directly exposed to the hot gasses (just 1 extended WOT run can waste the exhaust guides starting with #7 :nonono:). PM metal is extremely hard, has a low coefficient of friction and will tolerate higher temperatures.

The stock cams are actually pretty good unless you want a lumpy idle and a little more top end but fuel mileage and emissions can suffer with aftermarket cams. Boost is what overwhelms EVERYTHING!

Here are a set of PAC valve springs. They have 90 lbs. of seat pressure vs. 62 lbs for the factory springs

http://pacracingsprings.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/114634/PAC-1223

Don't fret too much where your getting your valve springs from as long as they are made by PAC or Associated which chances are will be what your buying unless they are sourced who knows where. Those 2 company are the major supplier to the OEM's.

Reuse the stock valves unless they need to be replaced.

Make sure the cam bearings on the heads you buy are in good shape. Take a pass on any set of heads with scored cam bearings.

Wallace7666

Established Member
I know that you don't get much power gain from aftermarket cams but I did want a slightly lumpy idle. Would it be worth my time to have the heads sent out for a valve job? I read that port/polish of the heads doesn't yield much gain and that the most bang for you buck is a valve job.

svtcobratenthan

Established Member
cams

I have the stage 3 crowers in mine and at lowend or trying to idle across a parking lot they are a pain in the ass.But sound amazing on a full bassani ex system.[I run 110 oct in mine they really lope] Here is where they shine, I run a 2.9 whipple a couple of my buddies also run one.But no cams I kill them on the top end.Thats all I have found them to be good for other then sound badass.

Users who are viewing this thread