My son is thinking about this 2013 3.7 Mustang...

lilcoop03

Established Member
The 2V is probably safer since it's slower than the V6 and has less potential to make power than the V6:D
LoL exactly.. and they sound awesome and have (can have) sharp looks. Very reliable if not crazy modded. I beat the hell out of my '01 GT and it was just a great, fun car

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I have a 18 and 16 year old driving now. To save about $500-$600 a month in insurance I just paid cash for their cars. Then only put liability and comprehensive (mainly for theft) on them. Left the collision off. For $500 a month I'll self insure any mistakes they may make. I agree on no V8 yet.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
No, in regards to people telling the OP to get his kid a coyote mustang im saying a v6 is more than enough for his sons second car and first "quick". He started his kid out in a civic, not an evo.

Which is an important underlying fact in itself, the OPs son already has some time on the road, whereas the scenario you're proposing would be giving your son a rally homoginization car and letting that be the first thing he gets to drive on his own.

I'm not a parent, I'm just some dude on the internet with apparently a crappy over cautious opinion.

Edit: I also just want to make this clear, I am not trying to call your parenting skills into question, this is just a simple conversation.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Agree with most of that. This won't be his sons first car.

The only reason i offered awd performance was the fact that we are already talking about a 300+ horse vehicle. The AWD will offer some safety margin over the rwd v6 Mustang if he has his heart set on a vehicle with this power.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Agree with most of that. This won't be his sons first car.

The only reason i offered awd performance was the fact that we are already talking about a 300+ horse vehicle. The AWD will offer some safety margin over the rwd v6 Mustang if he has his heart set on a vehicle with this power.
Yes i would agree in that sense that awd would be safer over rwd for an inexperienced driver, but I was more leaning at the fact that awd isnt a blanket safety measure and a young driver can do real dumb stuff with any fast car at that age, no matter where the power is sent.

I know these days for instance, a lot of people like to assume AWD means super traction in all road conditions, they are usually the first ones in the ditch come winter time.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

8ballBooker

Established Member
I bought my 3.7 last year and have no regrets. This is not the old underpowered sixes. Only issue I have is the 2.73 which sucks (swapping to 3.73 next year). As far as money, Im kinda in a similar situation to 18 year olds. Im a single dad with 2 kids in private school and handling a mortgage while also saving for retirement. I bought what I could reasonably afford. Id love a coyote, but not at the expense of my other responsibilities.

Keep in mind, I have a manual, so the fun factor is there, and its way faster than my old Integra GS-R.

I also work in insurance so be prepared for a HUGE difference in premium for a young male.

As far as people calling me out about a V6, its usually from people that dont even own a mustang, camaro, challenger, etc...Most crap I get is from CUV and sedan drivers. I dont really give a shit about what people think, I bought my car for my enjoyment.

NOW, down the line I will get a V8 when im in a better financial picture. Till then, I love my V6, the fuel economy, the cheap insurance, the lower monthly payment, the fact that I can add parts when I have the money available all factor in.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Coiled03

Established Member
I've seen as many people killed or hurt in slow, unerpowered slugs as I have in fast, overpowered vehicles.

True, the extra power makes things happen at a faster rate. But that doesn't have near the same impact as sound judgement, anticipation, and a level head while driving. The only reason not to get the 5.0, in my opinion, is overall costs. That is definitely significant, though, so if that's the deciding factor, so be it.

This is coming from a guy who drove an '88 GT in high school with no tickets, one minor accident that wasn't my fault. I don't say that to brag, rather to point out that there are teenagers that are perfectly capable of handling a "high power" vehicle.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Ended up making the deal on the 3.7! I drove it for about an hour...super clean for the most part. Needs a good buff but other than that it's in pretty good shape. Clean Carfax.

Really good power! The bassani exhaust sounds really good on the 6 banger...I was a little shocked how good it sounded. ha. The auto shifted nicely in all modes and the handling was pretty good. Overall I thought the car was great. As others have mentioned its about as well optioned as you can get a v6.

They came down to 12999 and tossed in a ford premium warranty on it...36 months or 24k on the miles. Good at any ford dealer and is a bumper to bumper warranty. That added 900 to the price but I think it will be worth it. If he breaks anything down at his base he wont be calling me begging for the money! ha.

He's really excited...he graduates his MOS school next wed. I plan to drive it down, hand it off and then fly home. Aint been back to Camp Lagoon since I got out in 03!

Thanks for all the advice and comments.

_Snake_

Established Member
Ended up making the deal on the 3.7! I drove it for about an hour...super clean for the most part. Needs a good buff but other than that it's in pretty good shape. Clean Carfax.

Really good power! The bassani exhaust sounds really good on the 6 banger...I was a little shocked how good it sounded. ha. The auto shifted nicely in all modes and the handling was pretty good. Overall I thought the car was great. As others have mentioned its about as well optioned as you can get a v6.

They came down to 12999 and tossed in a ford premium warranty on it...36 months or 24k on the miles. Good at any ford dealer and is a bumper to bumper warranty. That added 900 to the price but I think it will be worth it. If he breaks anything down at his base he wont be calling me begging for the money! ha.

He's really excited...he graduates his MOS school next wed. I plan to drive it down, hand it off and then fly home. Aint been back to Camp Lagoon since I got out in 03!

Congrats! Your son has a great dad.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I've seen as many people killed or hurt in slow, unerpowered slugs as I have in fast, overpowered vehicles.

True, the extra power makes things happen at a faster rate. But that doesn't have near the same impact as sound judgement, anticipation, and a level head while driving. The only reason not to get the 5.0, in my opinion, is overall costs. That is definitely significant, though, so if that's the deciding factor, so be it.

This is coming from a guy who drove an '88 GT in high school with no tickets, one minor accident that wasn't my fault. I don't say that to brag, rather to point out that there are teenagers that are perfectly capable of handling a "high power" vehicle.

Different time in a different world. Now everyone txts and drives. Changes the game alot in the driving world.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Congrats. You got a good deal. Make a thread with pics

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Where is this? 13k for a loaded 3.7 with 60k is a decent deal. Unlike the old 3.8 and 4.0s, the 3.7 will respond decently to basic bolt ons if he really wanted a little boost. Or hell, used Vortechs and prochargers are always for sale. The only 5.0's I am seeing for under 16k are 2011-12 base models with accident histories.

If thats false, let me know where I can find a nicely optioned coyote with low miles and no accidents for 13k so I can trade in my Honda.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/759734762/overview/

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member

You really think someone would be dumb enough to sell a clean 5.0 for about half of what it's actually worth?

That car is salvage. Search the vin.
1ZVBP8CF0B5106664 - 2011 Ford Mustang GT price - Poctra.com

1ZVBP8CF0B5106664-2011-Ford-Mustang-Gt-front-right-20455814.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread