My son is thinking about this 2013 3.7 Mustang...

ArabianOak

Established Member
Hi Gang,

As some of you know my oldest son joined the USMC last year when he was 17. Graduated boot camp in October and is now about to graduate Motor T school. He got stationed the same place I was when I was in...camp Lejeune. So now it's time to find him another car. He originally had a civic when he turned 16. Did headers, exhaust and intake...lol. He loved it though.

He now is thinking heavily about either a v6 camaro or v6 mustang. He can't really afford the GT/SS models (more expensive plus insurance). And he loves the fact that the v6 stang or camaro still make over 300hp and can run in the 13's for a 1/4 mile time.

The camaro is too small for him...he's 6'5. So now he has his eye on one that is local to me. I am going to look at it Monday. It's a 2013 with only 60k on the odo. Seems pretty loaded. Here is the link...

https://www.hawkfordstcharles.com/i...18448/Used-2013-Ford-Mustang-Saint-Charles-IL

The dealer came down to 13k on this over the phone...so I am assuming there is slightly more wiggle room. Is that a good deal? Are there any problems with the 3.7? How are the auto's in them? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am excited for him. It looks like a pretty cool car.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
This is a really well optioned car considering most v6's are base models.

Someone went for the "MCA edition" (Mustang club of america), V6 performance package which has 19" wheels and 3.31 L/S rear end, as well as the 1500 dollar recaros.

download the window sticker here

Explanation and picture of Ford Window Sticker

If your son likes the car, I highly doubt he will find another v6 this high optioned. I think this one is the winner

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
What is wrong with the civic? if he deploys that mustang will sit for 7 months.

I got a GTO after my first deployment. Had decent finance too, i think it was 4.29% (used, i was 21). Lived check to check in camp pen. I vote the cheaper route.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Car looks great. Needs some cleaning up. But having factory performance options is very rare in the v6 3.7. The 3.7 is actually a reliable engine as long as maintained. Plugs, regular oil changes, air filter change ect. The 6 speed auto has proven to be a very strong and reliable trans. 13 was a good year too. All the bug fixes from 11/12

ArabianOak

Established Member
What is wrong with the civic? if he deploys that mustang will sit for 7 months.

I got a GTO after my first deployment. Had decent finance too, i think it was 4.29% (used, i was 21). Lived check to check in camp pen. I vote the cheaper route.

I sold his civic when he left for boot camp. I wasn't letting that thing sit in my driveway for 9 months while he did boot camp, mct and motor t school! haha

tistan

Established Member
Why not a 5.0? A couple thousand more and he won't get bored of the power. The is the problem with a v6 is he will end up wasting thousands of dollars trying to get it to go as fast as a stock mustang gt.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
We have had zero problems with these in our shop. The caveat is that we are a small shop and most of these cars are just coming off of their warranties. Still a solid platform with some history, as said most of the bugs were worked out by 13.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Why not a 5.0? A couple thousand more and he won't get bored of the power. The is the problem with a v6 is he will end up wasting thousands of dollars trying to get it to go as fast as a stock mustang gt.

Insurance and it costs more. Plus I don’t think he’s ready for the v8 yet. It’s a big jump from the power he’s used to.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Insurance and it costs more. Plus I don’t think he’s ready for the v8 yet. It’s a big jump from the power he’s used to.

yes he would be paying more in the Ins premiums than the actual car payments if it was a 5.0 GT. He would still probably be getting ripped with just this V6 model but it probably be doable over the GT. I'm no expert but when I first started to drive in my families 1987 Sundance with the oh so incredible 2.2L I4 I think it was like $1200 a year back in 1992. I say triple that for todays prices with any 16-20 YO driver.

blk02edge

Established Member
My vote would be get a 3v gt or just make sure he is smart enough for coyote power. Funny enough when I was that age my only friends that ever hurt themselves were in civics... plenty of teens out there that can out drive experienced adults.

I would never buy a v6 mustang in any circumstance

blk02edge

Established Member
Very few at best and factor in that they can't keep their ****ing faces out of the phone. Statistics are a bitch.
Faces in the phone means they shouldnt be driving a shopping cart. OP's son is a marine, should be able to respect any car. Turning the TC off in the new v6 mustangs can get someone in trouble just as fast so may as well get the cool engine and maintain respect for the car. Just my opinion. People kill themselves in cars of all power levels

Last edited:

jk57

Established Member
Had a 2012 for a couple of years zero issues with it .The 3.7 is pretty fast but in the end it is a v6 .If he's ok with it being a V6 its sounds like a decent deal but being young and when someone ask him what's in it and he's says a V6 and they just say oh he will be looking at 5.0s really fast ...I liked mine but I wished I bought the 5.0 in the first place.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
AO, just get him the v6. His seniors might want to take the v8 for a spin and end up wrecking.
Also save more money on insurance/mpg, etc.

Really no point in a pvt or pfc getting a 5.0 maybe after first deployment? Either way with low ass e1/e2 pay I'd stick to something practical, a good car to drive year round, in snow to and from North Carolina to illinois.
Btw those Ford v6s are used in racing, gt3 class cars use them.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice car but as said, you can get a coyote car for the same price.

When my oldest hits driving age though, he'll be in an Evo or WRX, awd DSM, or a Golf R. Something with decent power and AWD so he doesn't go flying off the road into crowds at 17 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread