My remanned engine build/install thread

JDUB348

Established Member
Just thought i'd get this going in the "proper" section of the forum.. basically i installed an autometer lunar series oil pressure gauge a couple months back.

When the car was idling i noticed the oil pressure gauge on both the autometer and lunar series gauges were dropping to zero at idle. I thought it could have been an electrical problem.. until i hooked a mechanical oil pressure gauge up to the engine and saw the same result.

In the end, it sounds like the old motor has a spun main bearing. I recall when i was accelerating around 2,000 - 3,000 rpm there was a some what of a "marble" sound through the throttle range.

Heres the car..

Tolow_zps9cf2107d.jpg

64487_543723852326063_284840650_n_zps753d25d4.jpg

And the tear down..

Engineout3_zps2c84e355.jpg

Engineout2_zps50877979.jpg

How the car currently sits

Engineout1_zps2aaf6a7e.jpg

And new engine arrives..

new1_zps4d8c8a3b.jpg

new2_zps84ce13cc.jpg

I thought this was the coolest thing to see.. my engine was literally built about 2 weeks ago :D

IMG_20130805_124022_092_zps2226fb13.jpg

How the new engine currently sits.. just need to bolt the LT's on, clutch, flyhweel, bell housing and it's ready to go back in :)

newengineassembled_zps02e19095.jpg

More to come.. i've gotta get the cherry picker back from my buddies place and i shall continue with the install. The plan is to go through the top with the LT's bolted to the engine.. so it will be a tight fit! I know it can be done, as my buddy did this exact engine install with the exact LT's on his car.

I will not be swapping valve covers or oil pan on to the new engine. I did this on my OEM engine and i had a pretty bad oil leak, as there was oil all over everything on the original engine (timing cover, alternator, belts, pulleys.. everything). To me its not worth the risk as if you get an oil leak from the oil pan you're going to be either dropping the kmember or pulling the engine to change the gasket. Valve covers.. passenger side is easy, drivers side.. you'll be pulling apart the hole drivers side of the engine bay and taking apart the master cylinder just to get to it. I just don't want to create a head ache for my self again. Plus side is oil changes wont be as much any more with the stock pan lol

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Is there a cooling mod on the new mill? Worth installing if it's not there already.

Good call on the reman engine. I would imagine they put those tight filling slugs back in the holes. Any idea what the PWC is? That's the first limiting factor with regard to how much boost you can stuff in the motor.

Make sure you get lots of pics shoehorning the lump, LT's and all into the engine bay

:pop:

I think I got a case of "compressor envy" :bored:

JDUB348

Established Member
Long tubes bolted on, oil lines hooked up, and got the picking plate on and ready to go.. the engine is basically all ready to be put in but i'm not going to have the time to do it for a couple weeks. I dont know how long it will take me to get it in there, so i did not want to attempt it today.

Almostready1_zps343110fd.jpg

Almostready2_zpsd87e4d16.jpg

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I like that plate you have for your lift in the middle gallery. Where did you get it?

Are you not putting on the canton or the powdered valve covers?

Last edited:

JDUB348

Established Member
I like that plate you have for your lift in the middle gallery. Where did you get it?

Are you not putting on the canton or the powdered valve covers?

My buddy actually made it.. It works awesome!

And no I am not swapping valve covers or oil pan.. I'm eliminating any chance of an oil leak happening ever again!

Last edited:

Sagittaria

Established Member
Just have to know how to install it right. I had my canton and windage tray in mine for 25k no issues. Now would be the best time. Everything is easily accessible and since it's brand new... pretty darn clean already. It's all in the prep work...

JDUB348

Established Member
Alright so I'm thinking I'll be taking the day off work tomorrow so I can hopefully start the install and get the engine all bolted in by tomorrow. More pictures hopefully later tonight...

rudycobra

Established Member
Make sure that the two coolant drain plugs , 1 being behind pass motor mount are in and also dipstick before installing . Just probs I ran into few weeks ago

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Is there a cooling mod on the new mill? Worth installing if it's not there already.

Good call on the reman engine. I would imagine they put those tight filling slugs back in the holes. Any idea what the PWC is? That's the first limiting factor with regard to how much boost you can stuff in the motor.

Make sure you get lots of pics shoehorning the lump, LT's and all into the engine bay

:pop:

I think I got a case of "compressor envy" :bored:

Someone confirmed they aren't the Zoler (sp) that came in the originals engines. Remans use a Mahle piston. We still don't know if it's a larger PTW though.

My thought's are if they bored the remans 20 over and still used the exact same piston size as before wouldn't we get more PTW? Big IF...

Last edited:

GNX423

Established Member
Hey Jdub, I bought the engine that came in right after you, built on 7/29.
I have swapped over nearly everything needed and will be going in this weekend.

Good luck with the install, shoot me a PM if you want to compare notes. I welded up some lift brackets to drop it in with the charger on and trans bolted up.

Mike

JDUB348

Established Member
Very nice! I'll be using the picking plate my buddy made. I'll be going through the top with the long tubes bolted on. Trans and bell housing will be bolted on after the engine is in.. plenty of access to do so (hoping leaving the bell housing off may give me a little extra needed wiggle room)

JDUB348

Established Member
So i got it all in there.. going through the top with the long tubes bolted on isnt that bad at all! I believe it only took me around 2 hours to get it in there? (That included bolting some stuff on and getting some stuff ready before getting it in there)

Basically if you are going through the top with L/T's you will HAVE to get the engine going in at an angle and slowly work it in and lowering it all at the same time. I did this all by my self using just a cherry picker and ratcheting straps. I basically strapped around the L/T's down around my K member to put a downward pull on the engine :)

Like so..

9bd3f08bf517cde64d7a1d14fb27c2fd_zps8e85697d.jpg

I also ratchet strapped the L/T's together some to give just a little bit extra clearance..

01f75cfda3b994f1e901a0a0b0c68a3a_zps30700332.jpg

And heres the rest of the pics..

8d3aca31ff0c87f4053d16a3aece2147_zps060dc5f9.jpg

904f0c8a08cf79d273918e18286f486d_zpsddc115b4.jpg

1095168d06a08d32b8b8006014e4af30_zps69b14078.jpg

781c4a583c21acc5f0da84dc41001f88_zps0c2f4a54.jpg

All in all it was rather straight forward :)

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Nice oil filter relocation kit! I have the same setup, oil filters are a breeze with no mess! Congrats man, looks good!

Users who are viewing this thread