My (new to me) 1986 Dark Grey Metallic GT.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
After searching since late October of last year and having many deals fall through, I finally found an 86 GT, which is what I want specifically for a Fox. I thought I found what I was looking for right away in mid November. I was trying to plan to drive down there and pick it up, but nearly 12 hours away, I decided just to have it transported to me. I offered his full asking price and then he just ghosted me. After many failed deals, I started looking at 87-93 LXs and found one that was actually only 45 min. from where I live. This was probably the worst experience I had as the seller was a complete as*hole and went on a rant when I simply asked if I could have the VIN. I'm not sure if that car is still for sale, but if anyone sees an 88 LX for sale in MD with an ON3 turbo kit in Emerald Green, stay far far away.

Anyways, I finally found this 86 GT in NY. I drove up with my friend in his truck and rented a U Haul trailer and trailered it back home to my garage. I was actually looking for something with a bit more engine work, i.e., stroker, suspension work, and more, and was willing to sacrifice on condition of the paint or interior. This car though had less engine work than I wanted, but was rust free, immaculate condition on the door jams, frame rails, strut towers, the hatch (except for a half-dollar sized rust spot near the key-hole), and the paint was in pretty good condition as well as is the interior. I decided that the car, being as clean as it was, rust free, and only 4 hours away from me that I would pull the trigger and pick it up. My project car is just going to look a little nicer than I anticipated and there's nothing wrong with that! Here's some pictures for everyone.

xlX0Rsa.jpg

v2pchtx.jpg

M58O0Hk.jpg

F7z3QmQ.jpg

Dupp20g.jpg

kRIIvt0.jpg

YZGHbuK.jpg

YeLhoVs.jpg

AsRL0lT.jpg

NTmCWyh.jpg

cgU7CUI.jpg

lWqRSXG.jpg

YFNGT7C.jpg

1H8DUqc.jpg

Here is the mod list:

Trick Flow top end kit --->
Trick flow Twisted Wedge Heads (170cc)
Trick flow stage 1 cam (Track Max)
Trick flow lower intake
Trick flow upper intake (Track Heat)
Trick flow 1.6 roller rockers
Trick flow valve covers
King Cobra Clutch
Stock T5 (yeah I know)
A/C & Smog Pump Delete
Pro-M Mass Air Meter
24lb injectors
Mass air flow conversion with A9L ECU
70mm throttle body
Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
LMR Short Throw Shifter
BBK headers
BBK cold air intake
BBK Underdrive pulleys
MSD Coil
MSD Distributor
Ford Racing Plug Wires
SVE Dual Electric Fans
SVE High Torque Mini Starter
Welded subframe connectors
BBK Shorty Headers
Off road H pipe
Flow master C/B
3.73 gears
17" Chrome Ponys w/ Nitto 555s. 255s all around

The interior is basically stock, except for the steering wheel which I plan to place with the Ford Performance one made by Sparco. It also has some type of Sony head unit and some custom made box for the Subs and two amps. It also has different brand name speakers, which I can't think of. I'm not sure which part is which brand, but I know it has Rockford Fosgate & JBL amps/speakers or the sub perhaps. I'm not into sound systems at all. The seller told me he would knock off $400 to remove the sound system which was perfect because I didn't want it anyways, but we started negotiating on the price and he ended up throwing in the sound system, so I figured I could always remove it myself and sell it. The only thing I like is that the head unit has BT, so I can hook it up to my phone and play SiriusXM off an app, otherwise I just see the subs and that custom box as extra weight I don't need.

I'm planning to do a 331/347 stroker and a more aggressive cam. I also want to add a MegaSquirt PNP ECU.

Before any of that I plan to work on the suspension first though. Tubular K, A arms, coilovers, pieces of MM & Griggs components. I also plan on doing a 5 lug conversion. My friend who also has an 86 GT with an IRS, has the stock 8.8 with almost new 5 lug axles, so I just need SN95 front spindles. His 8.8 also has the adapter plates for use with Cobra rear brakes, so I think i'll just use those for the rears and add a pair of Wilwood 6 Piston brakes up front.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
That’s pretty sweet. I’d love a clean 4 eye GT someday. Wife will probably divorce me because she says they’re the ugliest cars ever, but oh well.

i like it

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
That car is super clean. You lucked out with that one. I hope to own a FEF one day.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The exposed shifter looks cool to me I'll leave it like that.
That IS pretty cool looking.

Congrats on finding that great looking GT. You're have an awesome base to work with. Have fun with your project. It will only get better.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
I like it. Any reason you went with historic over street rod tags?

Not sure, I filled out an application for Street Rod tags along with my application for title and registration. The woman at the counter seemed confused about what to do when she asked for MD State Inspection and I told her it doesn't need it for Historic or Street Rod cars. I'm guessing he was the manager who was walking behind all the clerks came up behind her and I guess instructed her how to properly do it. He immediately pulled out Historic tags on the spot and she issued registration along with expiration numbers on the tags. Before that I figured there was a possibility the Street Rod tags weren't there and had to be ordered, so I figured the Historic tags were fine. I literally went home 30 minutes later, put the tags on the car, insurance and registration in the glove box and took is out for a ride. I guess I was just a bit too anxious and was worried it might take 2+ weeks if they didn't have Street Rod tags on hand. I did however get the title in my name yesterday which was very quick. I can always ordered Street Rod tags online since my car has already been registered.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Nice. Hope your left leg is strong with that king cobra clutch!

Yeah, that King Cobra clutch is a hand ful. I had a Spec Stage 3 clutch on my Vortech 99' GT and I promised to never get a puck style clutch again. The KC clutch feels just like the Spec clutch, so I do plan on replacing it with something more streetable. It's fine when it's warmed up, but when I have to pull it into my garage after sitting for a few hours, it doesn't exactly engage as smooth, plus to get into my garage it's a slight hill.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
That’s pretty sweet. I’d love a clean 4 eye GT someday. Wife will probably divorce me because she says they’re the ugliest cars ever, but oh well.

i like it

Thanks! I love the red piping on 85/86 seats. I actually have an extra 86 GT seat in my basement with 36,xxx original miles from when my dad wrecked his car. If I can easily remove the cloth, i'll try to replace the driver's seat which has slight wear on it.

I remember in high school in the 2000s every girl would tell me every Fox was the ugliest Mustang in the world as if they didn't know what a Mustang II was. I've gotten so many complements while driving and walking up to the car from people of all races, old women, so the tide has turned. I still don't think young 20-30 year girls like them though.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Not sure, I filled out an application for Street Rod tags along with my application for title and registration. The woman at the counter seemed confused about what to do when she asked for MD State Inspection and I told her it doesn't need it for Historic or Street Rod cars. I'm guessing he was the manager who was walking behind all the clerks came up behind her and I guess instructed her how to properly do it. He immediately pulled out Historic tags on the spot and she issued registration along with expiration numbers on the tags. Before that I figured there was a possibility the Street Rod tags weren't there and had to be ordered, so I figured the Historic tags were fine. I literally went home 30 minutes later, put the tags on the car, insurance and registration in the glove box and took is out for a ride. I guess I was just a bit too anxious and was worried it might take 2+ weeks if they didn't have Street Rod tags on hand. I did however get the title in my name yesterday which was very quick. I can always ordered Street Rod tags online since my car has already been registered.

Gotcha, I really don’t think it makes that much difference. I have heard that you will get harassed less by the police with street rod. Who knows. I came across a set of 86’ Maryland tags that I will be running in the spring, i was going with personalized until I found these.

Users who are viewing this thread