My new ST! Oxford White 2015 content

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
One more update....with the B14's + 500lb springs + camber plates maxed out. Cant wait to try this new setup on track.
IMG_1103.JPG

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Signed up for a track day in September at Summit Point. Will be my first event coming back from a short hiatus(baby incoming!). Until then, maintenance and detailing the thing since it has a large layer of dust all over it.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Ordered some rear Bilstein B8 shocks for a Focus from 2004-2011 to test out the 46mm diameter body versus the 38mm body on the Fiesta shocks. Hoping for better heat dissipation and spring control with the larger diameter tube/piston.

They should be a direct fit, lower eye is 12.7mm and upper nut is M8 sized the same as the Fiesta. Length is within a 1/4" per the dimensions listed on the Monroe shock guide so im hoping the length of the B8 is adjusted the same as the Fiesta length.

Will be paired with the 500lb rate springs i currently have.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Measurements of the dampers i have on hand to show how small the Fiesta shocks are.

Bilstein B8 for a Fiesta ST(and installed on mine currently)
IMG_1214.JPG
2004-2011 Ford Focus KYB AGX
IMG_1213.JPG

HSD Mono Pro
IMG_1215.JPG

Ill grab a measurement off the 04-11 Focus Bilstein B8 when it shows up today. Hoping the larger diameter shock and piston will allow for greater control of the spring with increased heat dissipation.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
04-11 Focus rear Bilstein B8 is a whopping 49mm outer diameter. Swapped them on to try them out.

Drove last night to see Rage Against The Machine in Washington DC and the car did the trip quite well albeit a bit rough. The car is beyond stiff with the massive spring rates but the dampers seem to control them pretty good. Brutal on the roads around DC though and definitely not a daily drivable car.

On another note, car set P0217, P0454 and P061A on the way home.

Engine Coolant Temp sensor is getting replaced due to the P0217 code. Car isnt part of the cooling system recall so ill yank the old sensor, resistance test it and more than likely just replace it. Ill also pressure test the cooling system to double check no other leaks or cylinder head issues.

The P0454, yet again, is the stupid evaporative emissions canister purge valve piece. Third time this thing has gone bad and needing to be replaced. Another $170 down the drain to get this cleared.

P061A is the torque code that all tuned cars have. Ill ask Dizzy to tune it out as it should have been turned off to begin with.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any races planned in August or September, Kevin, other than the track day at Summit Point in September?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Any races planned in August or September, Kevin, other than the track day at Summit Point in September?
September at Summit Point for the CCC track day is 100% confirmed.

After that im looking for an event in October and there is an HPDE in November i have my eye on. There is three trackcross events im interested that run with the guidance of GFE. If the wife is ok with the kiddos ill be signing up with them. Have a few items i need to take care of - blend door actuator, ECT and CHT and maybe backing down on the spring rates following the track day to see how it does. If the spring rates are just too high(which they still feel a bit too much) ill back them down to a more reasonable setup(thinking 5k/4k) on the B14 kit.

For "racing" our champ car team - Pickle Boy Motorsports - will be doing champ car again at VIR in December. Thinking i might open up a spot for an SVTP member to join us with the approval of the admins. Or maybe have an admin come drive with us?!? We have 5 drivers and 1 crew chief for this one already signed up. So one more for a stint each day is available.

Either way, December 3-5 VIR North 8+7 in our Elantra. We plan on being really prepped for this one. Car is undergoing a full on build to max out the combo we can utilize.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
ECT delivered. Trying to install next week and hopefully clear this code. No other signs point to cracked head or the recall issues of the 2014-2015 cars and my VIN is outside of the coverage area.

Crossing my fingers that is the culprit.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
September at Summit Point for the CCC track day is 100% confirmed.
For "racing" our champ car team - Pickle Boy Motorsports - will be doing champ car again at VIR in December. Thinking i might open up a spot for an SVTP member to join us with the approval of the admins. Or maybe have an admin come drive with us?!? We have 5 drivers and 1 crew chief for this one already signed up. So one more for a stint each day is available.

Either way, December 3-5 VIR North 8+7 in our Elantra. We plan on being really prepped for this one. Car is undergoing a full on build to max out the combo we can utilize.
That would be pretty cool if it happened, Kevin.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Ended up removing the B14 kit and 500lb/in springs. Was just too brutal for the street. Bought a few sets of springs to adjust the rates and after a bunch of help from a forum member we have calculated that a 350F/300 rear rate would be optimal for grip.

When changing springs, i ended up stripping the studs out of the camber plates. So swapped by HSD MonoPro coilovers with 6k/5k rates until i can get the studs replaced. Very bummed the DNA plates stripped studs that easily. Did find they are M8x1.25 by 35mm in length. Mcmaster to the rescue.

Not enough time to get everything reinstalled and aligned. So will do the track day next week on the HSDs. More than likely swap back to the B14 setup after to test out the increased rates.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
The event, the Colonial Cup Challenge, was excellent. Met up with SVTP member cidasmuth at the event.

HSDs with the 350/300 rates felt fantastic. I forgot the adjustment tools at home so I was stuck on soft both front and rear. Could easily have bumped the compression/rebound up a few clicks to firm it up. Will increase them 3-5 clicks and go for another track event and see how i like it.

Brakes did fantastic. Porterfield R4 pads, Boomba deflectors, RBF600 and Stoptech lines. No fade, no cracking, no boiling fluid. Beyond happy with the R4's and the stock brake system. They modulate great and really come down from 118+ off the front straight. I do wish they were cheaper....

Car ran a best of 1:30.710 at Summit Point on Main during my 3rd session. This was in yellow group(novice) and probably should have just signed up for green(intermediate) there was so much hand holding by the instructor. Once i got a different instructor in the 3rd session my times came down from 1:32-1:33 into the low 1:31's and into the 1:30's.

Either way, car did great except for a slight bit of overheating. 20 min sessions and the car would creep beyond 250F around the 15min mark causing the red temp light and the ECU would pull power. Would take one easy lap and it would drop into the high 240's. At that point the session was nearly over so it would end me early.

Next step is to install the Mountune radiator, new thermostat and bleed the system.

A photo from the photographer on site(his prices are ridiculously expensive)....
Both 2.PNG

Kevin 2.PNG

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Ordered a RaceBox this past weekend to replace the TrackAddict App. Something a little more "pro" than the phone app. There is a 5% discount code from Speed Academy along with it being on sale for under $290 to begin with.

Id love a Garmin Catalyst but for $700+ more its not in the budget.

Will add it into the Champ Car Elantra for its first test and then do a track day early next year with the Fiesta.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Signed up for CCC in April. Going intermediate group this time and will have the cooling issues addressed before then.

Mountune radiator is in the garage already. Bought it on sale a while back but havent had cooling issues until this past September track day.

@cidasmuth told me of his luck scouring Amazon for the Mishimoto oil cooler for $100 off. Well today was my lucky day. $415 for the Mishimoto non-thermostatic oil cooler kit which is usually $587.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice savings on the Mishimoto oil cooler! Black Monday Week special?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice savings on the Mishimoto oil cooler! Black Monday Week special?
Shipped and sold by Amazon. Was some kind of blow out to maybe get new stock? or could have been a Cyber Monday/Black Monday special of some sorts. It did state last one in stock and usually that means its been on a shelf for a while and they want to move it to make space.

Same way i found my $150 KSport coilovers for our Elantra. They were probably sitting there for ages(since no one modifies a 2000's Elantra besides the sick and twisted) and needed the shelf room at the Amazon warehouse.

Its actually happened a few times. The Ksports were more than $800 off the original price. The H&R springs i bought for the Elantra before the Ksports were only $50 which is more than half off. If its sold and shipped from an Amazon warehouse they have the money and space tied up for however long it sits there. If its a part that isnt purchased after a certain time they will blow it out to make room for something else.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Mishimoto oil catch can installed. Fits damn near perfect. One little rub area between the bracket and the coolant tank hose that i wrapped with some insulation to ensure it doesnt rub through.

IMG_2003.JPG

Next is radiator, oil cooler and 160F thermostat. Track day in April which i want to be prepared for.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Mishimoto oil catch can installed. Fits damn near perfect. One little rub area between the bracket and the coolant tank hose that i wrapped with some insulation to ensure it doesnt rub through.

View attachment 1775634

Next is radiator, oil cooler and 160F thermostat. Track day in April which i want to be prepared for.
I miss my FiST, but have a GR Corolla on order. ETA is 2 years, so I’ll likely dump my GR86 to support my latest sickness.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I miss my FiST, but have a GR Corolla on order. ETA is 2 years, so I’ll likely dump my GR86 to support my latest sickness.
That is awesome. Keep seeing these videos of the GR Corolla and it is the next AWD monster.

Saw they got 500+whp overseas in one of the GR Yaris cars with basic bolt ons and turbo. Seems just nuts for a 3 cylinder.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
That is awesome. Keep seeing these videos of the GR Corolla and it is the next AWD monster.

Saw they got 500+whp overseas in one of the GR Yaris cars with basic bolt ons and turbo. Seems just nuts for a 3 cylinder.
I'll be happy with a mere 400Hp.... Probably.

OX1

Established Member

The problem to me is the boost you have to run to get 500 WHP on a 1.5 L. I guess not as big a deal, unless you are tracking it.

Users who are viewing this thread