My New Car Audio System - 03 CObra

Saleen313

Cat Herder
Established Member
I have the 8120 in my stang, awesome headunit. Love kenwood and the garmin Nav is great. Matting up the trunk made a huge difference. Did you also change out you're tweeters. I went with infinitys throughout.

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
Nice set up!

I've got a vert and have been seriously considering what to do as it's tougher in verts to get a decent sub back there that allows porting through the "barrier" created from the vert itself...

You're stuff is kickin I'm sure, congrats again!

Tmac01baller

Established Member
I have the 8120 in my stang, awesome headunit. Love kenwood and the garmin Nav is great. Matting up the trunk made a huge difference. Did you also change out you're tweeters. I went with infinitys throughout.

Yeah I changed out the tweeters. The JL component set I went with had its own set of tweeters. I used the factory locations to mount them.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
looks good, Kenwood sucks balls IMO though. I'm a huge pioneer nut and after my F90bt that is in my F150 I decided to try the DNX6140 in the Cobra, sure it may start faster but the Garmin doesn't provide any better routes or functionality over the Teleatlas and even lacks customization options, Pioneer wins in the Nav department as long as you know how to use it. Biggest issue for me is iPod, Pioneer completely rapes the Kenwood in this department. Kenwood reuires you to re-organize your ipod if you don't want to scroll through thousands of songs and artist. Pioneer ipod function is way smarter than their old D series which I had and did the same crap as my "new" Kenwood. I emailed Kenwood and they said ipod would only let them do so much, lol. Besides, Pioneers new X series should destory all others. If I didn't spend $1K on my Kenwood I would get rid of it and buy a new X series! Nice setup in the trunk though!

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I have a killer sound system as well, MRT midpipe and Steeda Catback!!!!

OP, I bet it sounds killer but that is a lot of cash for tunes.

Tmac01baller

Established Member
looks good, Kenwood sucks balls IMO though. I'm a huge pioneer nut and after my F90bt that is in my F150 I decided to try the DNX6140 in the Cobra, sure it may start faster but the Garmin doesn't provide any better routes or functionality over the Teleatlas and even lacks customization options, Pioneer wins in the Nav department as long as you know how to use it. Biggest issue for me is iPod, Pioneer completely rapes the Kenwood in this department. Kenwood reuires you to re-organize your ipod if you don't want to scroll through thousands of songs and artist. Pioneer ipod function is way smarter than their old D series which I had and did the same crap as my "new" Kenwood. I emailed Kenwood and they said ipod would only let them do so much, lol. Besides, Pioneers new X series should destory all others. If I didn't spend $1K on my Kenwood I would get rid of it and buy a new X series! Nice setup in the trunk though!

I don't have any experience with the Kenwood model you tried out but this unit has none of those issues you described above. The issues I had with the F90bt were just to much for me to overlook. I tried out two separate units of the F90bt so I know it wasn't just the one I was testing out. The touch screen isn't very sensitive and I would have to keep pushing the damn thing all over to make it do what I wanted, and then when it finally recognized it would take forever to execute the command. I couldn't stand the GPS with the Pioneer unit and I hated how it wouldn't even tell you the side of the street that your destination was going to be on. It's funny too because I was actually referred to the Kenwood unit off the avic411 website which is for Pioneer units. The Garmin GPS in my Kenwood is always spot on and there are so many things I can customize with it. I can select all kinds of preferences, favorites, or even call a place after finding it in the Points of Interest. Everything I can do on my Ipod I can also do through the Kenwood unit as well, whether that be movies, songs, or look up files I have saved on it. I don't know what Kenwood representative you spoke with but they were lost in the sauce.

Looks really sweet but they took advantage of you at the audio shop. No way you should've paid more than 5k for that.

LOL yeah now that I look at it this was a ton of money. But I would do it again honestly. The sound quality in the system is amazing even with my borla stinger catback:-D If you look up the prices for the equipment that I bought you will easily see how it adds up. And I didn't buy the equipment from the audio shop or else it would have been a lot more.

WeeZee

Member of NMRA
Established Member
Sick JL setup I have 1 JLW7 10" with a 500/1 Mono amp, full JL interior speakers and JL wiring, etc etc etc in my ImpalaSS but I only rock Alpine head units.

Users who are viewing this thread