My new build...finally. (Long)

TRBO VNM

Well, I was hoping to do it sooner, but between meeting a couple goals with the eaton and pleasing some friends with running 10's with it and then slowly collecting parts, I put off the build about 6 months.

I am hoping there isn't a lot of delay between updates, but there are some parts I am still waiting for:

HPP upper
Sullivan Lower
Rails
Coated manifolds
Turbo Rebuild

Looks like next week all of this will be ordered and the turbo/manifolds will be sent out.

I know a lot of people have asked if I am doing the twin kit and compound and right now I am not. Mainly because of $$$. I built my first comp. orange turbo with equity from the house and cc's. I won't do that again. between paying all that off and other personal things, I am working my way out of debt and so the single kit was the best option. Also, I was able to put a kit together very very cheap. I had one customer who upgraded his downpipe from the get go, so I was able to buy his hot side cheap and actually trade labor for it. Another customer had a full custom cold side made while going blow thru and sold me his cold side with BOV for under $200. Jon Lund had his old turbo so I picked that up at a reasonable price and will have it rebuilt(same as my old car, 76mm ball bearing upgrade, Q-trim impeller). found an intercooler from someone who upgraded theirs and got that for very cheap imo.

I already have the MM suspension on the car, which I made a deal with a customer who bought for his terminator in prep. for the turbo setup, but opted to sell the car for a vette before we installed it all.

So I had one pipe, wastegate, couple brackets to buy to complete the kit. As you can see, I didn't spend a lot and it just makes sense to go this route. Plus I have the nitrous installed already.

At first it will be the standard setup, draw thru and all.

For my fuel system:

Fuel Lab pump(1300), fuel lab regulator
Glenns sleeper sump tank, -10an feed, -8an return
80# injectors

I plan to powdercoat the hpp upper and sullivan lower gloss black. I have my valve covers orange and my fore coil covers are black. just need to decide if I want black or silver rails. the regulator is black and will have a bracket off the hpp upper.

I alreay get the halloween jokes from the local track for an orange car, so I may as well live up to the hype. lol

As of now, it will be on the stock motor. Future plans are a big bore 302.

I will update with some pics after the weekend of the current setup and as the build goes along. I didn't do this for some of my other builds and never took pics and regret it. so hopefully this will force me to take the pics and have a record. lol

I think that is about it for now. Can't wait to be back in the game.
Jason

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
No pictures.... WTF?? lol

Sounds like it will be a fun build! Welcome back to the game! Turbo cobras are the best thing since sliced bread :)

So it was you that I heard about the Fuel-Lab pump from!! I was trying to remember how I had heard about it.. I've been thinking about running the 1500hp model ever since I first saw it. Will you be wiring yours up with the voltage signal from the TPS?

TRBO VNM

lol, no pics yet. well, here is one of the current engine bay

COEngineBay.jpg

and yeah, it may have been me you heard about the pump from. I am waiting to hear from jon lund in regards to the trigger wire to see if I should use the tps or another source.

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
Definitely looking forward to this build. Good luck man. I'm very interested to see just how inexpensive it turns out. I think it will be cool to see a turbo system put together for a great price and through know-how and alittle work, turn out a great running turbo car. Maybe it'll inspire others to do the same.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
I remember seeing your old comp orange car sitting in front of the dyno at the Hot Rod Power Tour at E-town a few years ago... It was the first orange cobra and first turbo cobra for that matter I had ever seen. I remember thinking wow that color is rare as shit and then I saw the intercooler and your license plate and all I could think was "mother of god"... I was drooling and knew one day I would have to buy a terminator. Good luck with the new setup!

Last edited:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I've been waiting to see another turbo Comp O from you.:banana:
Glad to see you were able to put a kit together for so low.

TRBO VNM

thanks J. I am looking forward to it.

I remember seeing your old comp orange car sitting in front of the dyno at the Hot Rod Power Tour at E-town a few years ago... It was the first orange cobra and first turbo cobra for that matter I had ever seen. I remember thinking wow that color is rare as shit and then I saw the intercooler and your license plate and all I could think was "mother of god"... I was drooling and knew one day I would have to buy a terminator. Good luck with the new setup!

:lol: yup, that was me. I haven't met or read many people online that were there. I loved it and really want to do it again, but I hear there are some cars putting down over 1000rwhp now. I wouldn't push mine to that for the power tour. after a 6hr drive in the heat I think I was pushing it some doing what I did, but the c16 definitely helped keep things in check.

I've been waiting to see another turbo Comp O from you.:banana:
Glad to see you were able to put a kit together for so low.

well, you helped out, thank you. :beer:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Yeah it was awhile after I had signed up on svtp I saw your s/n and your car's pics and put 2 & 2 together. Then when I read about what happened to your car I wanted to cry... Good luck with the new car! Btw that was my first time at the HRPT and it was definitely an insane experience. I remember seeing that LS7 Solstice GM built, some sick twin turbo old muscle cars and also that sleeper Nova that Hot Rod built runnning at the track. I haven't been in recent years but I def wanna go again.

brunocobratt

Established Member
good luck with the build, your first cobra was one of the reasons i disaded to go turbo :beer:
th_TRBOVNM.jpg
[/ame]"][ame=http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/brunocobratt/?action=view&current=TRBOVNM.flv]
th_TRBOVNM.jpg
[/ame]

01Lowboy

SPTZCLNT
Established Member
WEAK SAUCE! You call this junk idea a build?! There's a kid down the street from me with a power wheels that would wipe the floor with this setup!

haha. j/k It's about time you got around to this.

TRBO VNM

good luck with the build, your first cobra was one of the reasons i disaded to go turbo :beer:

that is one vid that got lost, do you have it saved that you could email me or host on a ftp site so I can download it?

I wish at the time I understood brake boosting. that whippled cobra would not have had a jump or anything.

WEAK SAUCE! You call this junk idea a build?! There's a kid down the street from me with a power wheels that would wipe the floor with this setup!

haha. j/k It's about time you got around to this.

right...you like to talk a lot of smack man. I heard you have a honda

You sold your comp orange and bought another?

yes and no. lol

quick story: raced at NMRA in ATCO. 2 cars ahead of me put fluids down and the officials didn't see it. I was the victim of that and went into the wall running close to 800rwhp. decided the best thing was to part it out and pay it off and sold the body to someone. he has a body shop or the capability to fix them, so he rebuilt it and it now is running, so it isn't a totalled car. I never reported it to insurance as they wouldn't cover it anyway. then bought a silver unfinished hellion car, finished it and sold it because I couldn't see myself being happy with silver. then bought this one and the rest is history. :D

Boostinator

www.UltimateAutoPortal.co
Established Member
See my avatar for a pic of a Comp Orange Engine bay with a 91 MM single turbo....lol...almost like you described!

Great taste! Mine is Comp Orange with Black stripes. Black FR500's...the engine them was meant to match the rest of the car. Orange and Black. Should be complete in the next two weeks. Got it running...need to break it in and tune.

VAMPIR3

Established Member
Oh my..... That video was nasty!!

Good Luck on the build Jason. I will be watching this thread. Post Pics of the build:rockon:

TRBO VNM

hahaha, yeah Cory it will. then next yr at OC when someone asks what size turbo I can tell them instead of the story of it not being on there. lol

here are some updates from today. probably gonna be a little slow now. I will be waiting on some stuff before I can really get going and found out my core support is bent, well, I knew it was after I put it on the lift the first time, but everything has been fine and no other issues really with the car, but it is bent forward too much for the intercooler to bolt up like it should. so I can make a bracket to make it work, but unfortunately I am a little anal about things, so I priced out a new core support and am checking into some other things to get it replaced and will see what I need to do. I don't want to do it, but it would give me the peace of mind that it is perfect. I am not worried about the AC as I have someone who recharge it for free. the coolant is drained and everything else removed, so now is the time to do it. just need to find out how much for everything else.

Car before tear down.

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

Some of the tear down. about 95% done. just need to remove the alternator and lower pulley. other than that, ready to start putting back together once I get some parts back/in.

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

Lot of space up front...

IMG_1328.jpg

Last edited:

nitemarestang

Bush Wookie
Established Member
very noice. il be watching this thread for sho. aswell as when i get back in the states from my tour over here in europe il be swinging by wit the cobra for a blowthrough conversion :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread