My new 2021 F150 XLT Supercrew

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Beefcake is bad for my wallet. SCT X4 7015G w/ 5 Star tuning on its way. Went with a 93 tow/performance, 93 performance, E30 performance and E50 performance tune files.

Excited to see the results.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Beefcake is bad for my wallet. SCT X4 7015G w/ 5 Star tuning on its way. Went with a 93 tow/performance, 93 performance, E30 performance and E50 performance tune files.

Excited to see the results.
What really got me was when he let me know he didn’t just sell parts for mustangs lol. I’ve ordered camaro and TRX parts since, customer service is top notch

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Got my SCT X4 on Friday and promptly tested positive for the "rona". So isolated until today. Finally got out and opened the X4, connected to the truck and wrote down my ECU strategy. Sent that off to Beefcake to have 5 Star start on the tunes.

Hope to have them by the end of the week and can get them uploaded this weekend.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
So my OE strategy code isnt supported yet....oof. Downloaded the stock file, sent to 5 Star who sent it off to SCT. Not sure where this is headed. Hoping i can actually get this thing tuned.

Kinda bummed but its a brand new tuning type so i understand there will be hiccups. Crossing my fingers for the best.
IMG_2036.JPG

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Still waiting on SCT for my tune. Kinda bummed it wasnt hashed out well before the tuner was put on the market.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Finally received the tunes today. Uploaded the 93 Tow/Performance tune and took a test drive.

Truck is a complete animal. Hits 20psi by 2600ish and just freight trains to redline. Shift schedule and pressures feel superb. Torque is eye watering off the line.

Longer drive tomorrow to work. Will update with feel for daily commute.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2063.JPG

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Glad they finally got you straight, process looks like a real pain in the ass. I can only imagine how quick the aluminum body trucks feel with a tune

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Glad they finally got you straight, process looks like a real pain in the ass. I can only imagine how quick the aluminum body trucks feel with a tune
Feels irresponsibly fast for a full size pickup truck. When it gets warmer i may take it to the drag strip just for shits n giggles. Think on E30/E50 it could crack 12's. Might need traction bars as it gets a ton of wheel hop at just 1/2 throttle off the line.

5 Star and SCT did great with the turnaround. Was hoping for a little more communication but do understand it was a weekend. Either way, a couple of days and the lack of support was dealt with and tune uploaded without a single issue.

It feel awkward to plug things directly into the PCM versus under the dash. Like we took a step back to the 90's with plug in chips and burning them. Hope they can get around it in future updates to go back to flashing them using the OBD connector.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Went to the DC Autoshow yesterday with my wife. In the Ford area they had my exact truck but with the 20" wheel option.

Oxford White, 302a, FX4 with trailer tow package.(it did have the 3.5 versus my 2.7)
IMG_2102.JPG

Well....Now im thinking instead of leveling it and going to a 275/70R18 that maybe i would just grab a set of take-off 20" and keep the truck suspension wise stock(maybe a better damper in the future). I love the look of the dark 20" wheels that match the rest of the greyed out plastics - grille, fender vents, side steps.

Keep it stock suspension and 20's or level it 1.5" with 275/70R18s. That is the question.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Keeping stock suspension and definitely grabbing some 20's. Keep seeing them around and just fell in love with the look. Now to find some take offs that aren't as expensive as a kidney.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
New take offs ordered. It was cheaper to buy a set of take off wheels than it was to buy a new set of 275/70R18 AT tires for the wheels i have. Prices are just insane these days.

Says the new 20" wheel/tires will be here on Friday. Get my local shop to swap the TPMS into these from my 18" wheels and bolt them on.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Scheduled tomorrow to get TPMS swapped over and wheels bolted to the truck. Super excited to see it on the Sport Pack wheels. Next is some traction bars to eliminate some of the wheel hop.

May take it to the drag strap when they open around here for some shints & googles.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Contemplating VASFab or Bwoody traction bars. One is a cantilever type front pad versus the other as a regular bar setup.

I had slapper bars on my Lightning which worked fine but i know everyone ran the Stifflers type setup with full bars.

Worried about the NVH with these. Will go with the front diff brace and rear traction bars.

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Where do you find new take off wheels from? Is there a site or local fb stuff?
Both. Ebay and or Facebook Marketplace. The ones on Ebay are take off wheels from dealerships that customize trucks off the showroom floor. Most have less than 25 miles. The ones i received were pristine with zero wear and they were packaged exceptionally well.

The price shipped for 4 take off wheels was $1,184.00. $40 to swap the TPMS over and rebalance. I also upgraded the lug nuts to the one piece aftermarket versions since the OE 2 piece lug nuts like to swell after a few tire rotations. They were $44 on Amazon.

Total for everything to swap the 20's onto the truck was $1,268.00. Tires alone in 275/70R18 would have cost me $1200+. It was a worthwhile visual upgrade and the truck does feel smoother driving around.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
A friend has a private drag strip day on March 30th at MIR and is letting me join. Plan is to skip out on work at 11am or so and head down for some runs with the truck.

Wondering what it will run? Low 13s? Plan is 93 octane tune and 4wd launch from idle.

Im a little worried about the wheel hop it may experience on a prepped drag strip.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Welp, friend is saying they dont want street tires on the prepped surface so looks like im not allowed to run. Will find a test and tune night to see what this does at some point.

Bummer.

EDIT: Just got the message that they will allow me to run if i always launch in 4wd. So im headed tomorrow for some timeslips.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Truck ran fantastic. Drove 80+ miles to Maryland International Raceway, ran 13.2's @102mph then drove home 80+ miles with the A/C on in stop and go traffic.

Modifications:
AEM intake
CV Fab Titan intercooler
5 Star Tuning 93 octane Tow/Performance tune(s)

Datalogged each run to send back to 5 Star for review to see if they can fine tune it a bit better. Tried to get E30 or E50 going but i just filled up right before getting to the strip so not possible this round. I do think with E30 it would dip into the 12's quite easily and with E50 may hit mid 12's.

Truck needs traction bars badly. Rear end shakes violently on launch even in 4wd Hi. I turned advancetrac off, turned the drive mode to Sport and then 4wd Hi. Powerbrake it to 2000rpm then go WOT. Truck does the rest.

Slips:
BYKQ1223.JPG
IMG_2343.JPG
MCWI4866.JPG
MNUV6028.JPG

Videos:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread