My McLeod RXT install - 03/04 cobra

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDUB348

Established Member
McLeod RXT install - 03/04 cobra

If any one has any questions about their install, feel free to send me a PM and i can try to help with the knowledge i gained from my install.

challanger-Viper_rxt-assemby-copy-2.jpg

Parts installed:
  • McLeod RXT
  • McLeod Steel Flywheel
  • McLeod Retainer Sleeve
  • McLeod Adjustable Pivot ball
  • Stock TOB (i bought an aftermarket one, F'ed it up via wrong installation)
  • Maximum Motorsports Clutch cable, Firewall adjuster, Quadrant
  • Tremec 26 spline input shaft

Clutch Install:

• I installed the RXT exactly to the directions given by McLeod. Torqued the pressure plate bolts to 35 FT/LBs.

Input shaft install:

• I originally installed a .42 shim since i saw some one on the forum here got away with using it. I checked the end play with this thickness of shim, and was getting absolutely no movement. I then took it out, and put the stock shim back in. Again, zero movement. Lastly, i installed a .34 shim and this gave me .002 - .003 end play. From what i have read on the forum, the tolerance is .000 - .005, so lands me perfect. Even with this tiny bit of play, the shaft does not move very much at all. I guess it is after all, only about .002 - .003 of movement ;-)

Pivot ball:

• I adjusted the pivot ball using what users recommended here on the forum. 4.5 MM shorter then stock. It works perfect. I did try using the stock pivot ball, but it instantly put preload on the pressure plate fingers. Per McLeod's directions, your TOB should not be in constant contact with the pressure plate fingers.

Retainer sleeve:

• Very simple, open the case and pound the old one out. I used the old retainer sleeve to hammer in the new one, as it fits perfectly on the surface of the new one lol

TOB/Clutch Fork:

• My only advice for the TOB is to make sure you install it correctly. It should be installed on top of the springs just like this:

• As far as installing the clutch fork, make sure it seats properly on the pivot ball. This was the biggest mistake i made. See second picture

08-01-13028_zpsac00467d.jpg

59C93510-1755-4E2A-AEC0-C78B049307AF_zpsv1462ivb.jpg

There's alot of mixed information here on the forum, so i just wanted to try and condense it down into one thread. The setup i posted above is working perfectly.

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
awesome, so you bought an adjustable Mcleod adjustable ball? I have never messed with one, by 4.5mm shorter do you mean that it would be 4.5mm shorter from the tranny faceplate to the end of the ball? stupid question but I just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly!

Can you not cut the stock ball or just screw it in more?

Awesome post, love the pics and it will help me out a ton. I'm hoping for a first time go!

Last edited:

JDUB348

Established Member
awesome, so you bought an adjustable Mcleod adjustable ball? I have never messed with one, by 4.5mm shorter do you mean that it would be 4.5mm shorter from the tranny faceplate to the end of the ball? stupid question but I just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly!

Awesome post, love the pics and it will help me out a ton. I'm hoping for a first time go!

You cant make the stock pivot ball any shorter then it already is, as the nut in the picture below (lower pivot ball in the picture) is fixed in place

I would say if you set yours up exactly like i did and use the same parts, it should go perfect. I just went 4.5 MM shorter on the inside mesaurement of the pivot ball.. like so:

Untitled_zpsc51cf874.png

Last edited:

JDUB348

Established Member
The small things can really F up your installation/setup lol. I originally installed my clutch fork like this and was having all kinds of problems (Broke my aftermarket TOB):

5578FC54-B47E-46CC-B00C-C4C2A1F7C3EC_zpscvcpthke.jpg

It was driving me insane because i knew that i installed the clutch EXACTLY to the directions given by McLeod, so i knew there was nothing wrong there. Kept on thinking of what could be wrong, then popped in my head the clutch fork wasn't installed right!

And as i originally posted, the TOB being on top of those springs is another little detail to make sure you get right. Dropping the transmission isnt fun lol. I'm fast at it now, as i can have it out in about an hour. Did that about 5 or so times in the last 2 days to get everything right! I also just man handle my transmission in with my bare hands.. no transmission jack here lol

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I still have everything on the ground as my motor is still out but hoping to put it in soon. Pics are always awesome. I'll make sure to get that clutch fork installed right ;)

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
just one thing about the pivot ball, many of us here (including myself) have used the stock pivot ball and still had adequate clearance. there are many informational threads about it.

JDUB348

Established Member
just one thing about the pivot ball, many of us here (including myself) have used the stock pivot ball and still had adequate clearance. there are many informational threads about it.

Maybe the flywheel of choice has to mess with that? I'm not sure, but it's a possibility

vadorsnake04

Established Member
You cant make the stock pivot ball any shorter then it already is, as the nut in the picture below (lower pivot ball in the picture) is fixed in place

I would say if you set yours up exactly like i did and use the same parts, it should go perfect. I just went 4.5 MM shorter on the inside mesaurement of the pivot ball.. like so:

Untitled_zpsc51cf874.png

I want to point out that this is misinformation. You can make the stock pivot ball shorter where it actually needs to be shorter. The gap you are showing measured means nothing at all. The measurement that actually means something and what needs to be changed is from the face of the trans where the pivot ball bolts in to the backside of the ball.

So as I said in the other thread if you use a lathe to turn back around that 4.5mm off the side of the nut with threads then you will be golden because it will bring the ball that much closer to the trans. This will give you proper clearance.

If anybody would like to see mine turned back you can look in my latest build thread.

JDUB348

Established Member
I want to point out that this is misinformation. You can make the stock pivot ball shorter where it actually needs to be shorter. The gap you are showing measured means nothing at all. The measurement that actually means something and what needs to be changed is from the face of the trans where the pivot ball bolts in to the backside of the ball.

So as I said in the other thread if you use a lathe to turn back around that 4.5mm off the side of the nut with threads then you will be golden because it will bring the ball that much closer to the trans. This will give you proper clearance.

If anybody would like to see mine turned back you can look in my latest build thread.

That's something to only worry about if your looking to use the stock pivot ball correct? With the adjustable if you make it 4.5 mm shorter any where it will make it 4.5mm shorter then the stock?

vadorsnake04

Established Member
That's something to only worry about if your looking to use the stock pivot ball correct? With the adjustable if you make it 4.5 mm shorter any where it will make it 4.5mm shorter then the stock?

Not exactly. As long as you are using the same thickness of nut. A better way to look at it or to look at the picture you posted is to show a measurement from side of the nut that will be against the trans to the flat side of the pivot ball. That number will work for a modified stock pivot ball or an adjustable one.

agent-orange

Established Member
I have a 01 Cobra with a Tr3650 and I want to install a RST clutch. About the pivot ball, do I have to install the adjustable pivot ball also 4-5mm closed to the engine than the stock one? I will also install the Mcleod TOB. You guys have some pics where the clutch fork points at the inspection windows? Just to now about the distance from the fork to edge of the rear end of the window.

kmyers

Established Member
I just confused as to how to check the clearance between each disc at full engagement. The instructions I have from McLeod state that once the clutch is installed and diaphragm fingers are below the pressure plate to go ahead and install TOB and transmission THEN check the disks for the 0.020" clearance. With the clutch fully engaged there is really no way to check the clearance. Am I missing something????

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I just confused as to how to check the clearance between each disc at full engagement. The instructions I have from McLeod state that once the clutch is installed and diaphragm fingers are below the pressure plate to go ahead and install TOB and transmission THEN check the disks for the 0.020" clearance. With the clutch fully engaged there is really no way to check the clearance. Am I missing something????

once you clamp down the pp then the discs wont turn so i dont think you can check for clearance. my instructions said to check BEFORE tightening pp. as long both discs can turn for you pretty freely before clamping it down you should be ok.

davidbettencour

Established Member
I have searched the thread a few times, and didn't see this issue yet.
Since it has been a bit since you have done the install, have you had any issues with the clutch fork?? I'm about to do the install with a Mcleod RST, and I am going between an FRPP clutch fork and the Mcleod Long clutch fork and factory replacement. Not sure which to get and really not wanting to put the wrong one in. Which did you use originally, and have you had to replace it since you did this install, and if so what are you running now?? thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread