My McLeod RST experience so far…

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
Based on advice from Jimmysidecarr, I decided to post the following as a new thread. I hope it's helpful:

Hello everyone. I just wanted to give some info regarding the McLeod RST. I recently had my shop install a Spec 3/new Fidanza friction plate and I personally hated it due to the chatter/shudder getting into 1st gear -chattered like hell in the trans area and sounded like wheel hop in the rear-, although I was told this is normal during break-in.

It did get a lot better around 1000 miles -not completely gone though- but I jumped the gun around the 400 mile mark and ordered the McLeod RST/FRPP TOB/Lethal Sleeve/Clutch Fork/ and replaced the center plate in the Fidanza aluminum flywheel for a second time as I wanted to be sure everything was new and there were no weak spots in the setup.
Anyway, the RST does have an incredibly light pedal feel, (I swear it is softer than my wife's Scion! It's funny to jump into her car and think that her clutch is harder than mine since it was the extreme opposite for the past few years! It is absolutely, 100% as soft as everyone claims)

It does still have a slight chatter/shudder getting into 1st & reverse, but it is a fraction of what the Spec's chatter was at the same point-in-time during break-in. Now, I'm only at about 300 miles into break-in with the RST so this may be premature as it may completely disappear very soon, but from what other posts I've read and what my tuner explained (they have installed dozens of McCleod twin disc clutches on many high performance cars) this too is normal and expected from even the McCleod RST twin disc, but should completely disappear with time. Just keep in mind the chatter/shudder from the very beginning was substantially less than what I experienced with the Spec 3, but it does still exist with the RST.

Personally, I do not drag or abuse my car, and driveability is of utmost priority which is why I replaced the Spec with the RST, but to be honest, I was and still am somewhat disappointed that there has been even an ounce of shudder with this expensive, and arguably the best, clutch setup on the market. Other than getting into first/reverse, the clutch shifts, feels, and performs perfectly although as I said, I'm still in the break-in period.

Maybe someone out there can explain to me why even the organic twin disc chatters/shudders when I thought this upgraded clutch would not have such an issue from the start.
Can anyone confirm that even a 'softer' organic material twin clutch can/will chatter during break-in? It seems the more I search for RST posts, the more I find that chatter is fairly common during break-in.

Could it be because I have an aluminum flywheel vs. steel flywheel?? Anyway, I do enjoy the clutch and pedal effort but I simply hate the slight chatter from a start. This setup costs way too much to put up with this, although this issue may be a distant memory in a couple weeks. I hope it goes away soon! I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Hopefully after the break in period is complete and the material transfer has been completed, the grip of the friction material will be improved enough that the chatter will go completely away.

The process is nearly identical to bedding in a set of race pads, it happens on a molecular level and if botched can result in uneven transfer of the friction material onto the flywheel friction surface.

I would ride it out, do post up how it behaves later on though in this thread so as to keep us updated on the eventual end result.:beer:

WMD

Established Member
My RST has never chattered, like you say SO light. It holds up to 3.4 Crusher with 10.13 no slip what so ever. I love it so much better than the DFX. You will be happy with it!

Marc

Established Member
I picked up my cobra yesterday and have the McCleod RXT version.

I can tell you there is absolutely no chatter whatsoever. This thing has about 1/2 the stiffness of a stock clutch. It is as smooth as butter!

By far the best clutch I have EVER experienced on a Mustang. I would recommend it to anyone. I know its not the RST version, but the RXT version is absolutely, without a doubt, the best clutch on the market--IMOP.

Marc

Established Member
And...I don't know about others, but mine releases near the top (meaning when the clutch pedal is almost fully disengaged). This seems a little different than the stock one, which if I remember, almost engaged immediately after when I started letting up on it off the floor. But, I really like it!

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
I'm very interested in your experience. I'm having the RXT installed tomorrow and spent the money due to so many people having a positive experience. I'm hoping that after your break-in period, you'll have no complaints. I'm expecting an 800-1000 mile break-in period with the clutch. I believe that is what I did with the Spec as well, but that never panned out.

rudycobra

Established Member
My rxt had tiny bit of chatter when trying to really slowly release clutch but went away after 550 miles . I installed same setup on buddies whippled cobra and had none at all !

laruei

Established Member
Just installed a rxt in my car ad I'm at 54.2 miles (in the car in traffic right now) and it chatters pretty good in slow release..... Hoping it goes away...

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
I've got 1000 miles on mine since Friday evening. I have to say it is the best aftermarket clutch I've felt. I do have some chatter in 4th under 2k rpm. I'm hoping that will go away after more city driving. The pedal is so light I'm shocked that it can hold so much hp.

I'm very excited about this clutch and hope it lasts 85K miles like my stock clutch did. So far, well worth the money!

Termilvr

Established Member
I've got 1000 miles on mine since Friday evening. I have to say it is the best aftermarket clutch I've felt. I do have some chatter in 4th under 2k rpm. I'm hoping that will go away after more city driving. The pedal is so light I'm shocked that it can hold so much hp.

I'm very excited about this clutch and hope it lasts 85K miles like my stock clutch did. So far, well worth the money!

what do you mean by chatter in 4th? i get a vibration under a little load between 1.5-2k rpm's in 4th.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
As I live up the clutch, I can hear the clutch present some chatter until I hit 2K rpm. I don't have to put the gas pedal down hard, but just try to easily accelerate as you would with normal driving and I hear some chatter.

I just went through a vibration issue prior to having this clutch installed, that is resolved, so I would not describe what I'm hearing as a vibration.

laruei

Established Member
Interesting that I have this same "vibration" at the same rpm... 4th gear under and at 2k...

Rooster1969

Established Member
RST Steel flywheel here. Light pedal, chatter went away after break in, my engagement is at about half travel, My pedal rattles at around 2000 RPM in fourth. All in all, I like it. But, it`s about time to move on to a different vehicle. As light as it is, there are still times when my knee doesnt like it.

Termilvr

Established Member
As I live up the clutch, I can hear the clutch present some chatter until I hit 2K rpm. I don't have to put the gas pedal down hard, but just try to easily accelerate as you would with normal driving and I hear some chatter.

I just went through a vibration issue prior to having this clutch installed, that is resolved, so I would not describe what I'm hearing as a vibration.

Interesting that I have this same "vibration" at the same rpm... 4th gear under and at 2k...

Exactly only easing on the gas and it 4th to pick up speed or change lane, not wot 4th at those rpm's, I am not sure its chatter since the clutch is fully engaged. where do you guys have your pivot ball set? where on the floor does the clutch start to engage?

laruei

Established Member
Mine engages just below the brake pedal and i have a stock pivot.. i did spend a lot of time on the final adjustment and made sure the throw out was just touching the pressure plate..

And a little update as i drive it everyday.. the chatter is so bad sometimes it feel like there is a TON of slack in my driveline.. also the other day it chirped as i took off.. lol

Maybe im just not graceful with the clutch anymore going from a TOUGH pedal'ed ram clutch to this little girl clutch.. haha

I do love that my left leg can take a break in traffic now though..

Users who are viewing this thread