My last Mystichrome...I definitely won't sell this one.

HPLouis

Established Member
I did some more digging and saw that this car came from user 04asp (2004-2009, sold with 912 miles)) to loudtoy948 (2009-2022, sold with 5,177 miles) and then to me (2022-Present). It's pretty cool to be able to follow the car's history here.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That IS great to be able to do, Henry. Knowing the previous owners who are active members on SVTP allows you to definitely get a more encompassing look at how a vehicle was treated, driven, raced (if applicable), what mods were installed/changed over time, and whether it had any unreported mishaps along the way. I remember way back when a member was selling his Cobra, stating it had just a minor accident. However, his posting history showed it was a lot more than just a minor accident. It more often, though, works on the other side, showing how an owner took such great care of his Cobra, making the buyer feel much more optimistic and good about closing the deal, sometimes without even checking it out before the closing.

HPLouis

Established Member
That IS great to be able to do, Henry. Knowing the previous owners who are active members on SVTP allows you to definitely get a more encompassing look at how a vehicle was treated, driven, raced (if applicable), what mods were installed/changed over time, and whether it had any unreported mishaps along the way. I remember way back when a member was selling his Cobra, stating it had just a minor accident. However, his posting history showed it was a lot more than just a minor accident. It more often, though, works on the other side, showing how an owner took such great care of his Cobra, making the buyer feel much more optimistic and good about closing the deal, sometimes without even checking it out before the closing.
You are so right. While I was in the process of buying, I Google'd his username and used "site:www.svtperformance.com" and was able to see all his posts and his pics and progress with the car. It also let me see his level of knowledge and helpfulness. It allowed me to be comfortable enough to buy the car from him, sight unseen.

HPLouis

Established Member
So, I posted about the car on a FB group and someone starts talking about the car and working on it with the prior owner. He sounds familiar and I ask him if he's DSG2NV03 from SVT Performance and he says yes, it's him. He gives me more of the history on the car and how he's working on it for years with LoudToy948 and how his car has pretty much the same work since they were powder coating and upgrading both cars at the same time. Then I search here and I can see his posts too. This is a great community.

HPLouis

Established Member
I was under the car looking to see what size the oil filter is and noticed that he had the swaybar, mounts and thermostat housing powder and clearcoated to match the rest of the exposed metal on the underside.

IMG_3213.JPG

IMG_3214.JPG

IMG_3215.JPG

I’m still in awe at the attention to detail.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I can't believe I didn't not notice this thread earlier. @HPLouis man this is still the cleanest Mystichrome terminator I've seen. With a 2.9 whipple it'll be perfect, I was also reading about your passing inspection issue. I know in AZ my GT500 won't pass inspection so I have it registered as a collector car and I'm emissions and inspection exempt. Not sure if it works like that in NY, but might be worth looking into. I have Grundy collector car insurance.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can't believe I didn't not notice this thread earlier. @HPLouis man this is still the cleanest Mystichrome terminator I've seen. With a 2.9 whipple it'll be perfect, I was also reading about your passing inspection issue. I know in AZ my GT500 won't pass inspection so I have it registered as a collector car and I'm emissions and inspection exempt. Not sure if it works like that in NY, but might be worth looking into. I have Grundy collector car insurance.
That's awesome! Just out of curiosity, does AZ impose any mileage limit with a "collector car" registration?

HPLouis

Established Member
Thanks. I just Google'd NYS collector plates and the car has to be 25 years old to be emissions exempt. I registered the car on Monday and I have 10 days to get inspected. At worse, I can drive the car for the next 2 years and will not be allowed to renew my registration. Then I'll have to wait until 2029 to be able to register without emissions inspection. I'm hoping that doesn't happen so I'll keep trying. At least I have 2 years to straighten this out.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
That's awesome! Just out of curiosity, does AZ impose any mileage limit with a "collector car" registration?
There is, my car is limited to 3k a year, but I don't even put 2k a year on, so it doesn't matter. I just love being able to get 5 year tags for my car lol.
Thanks. I just Google'd NYS collector plates and the car has to be 25 years old to be emissions exempt. I registered the car on Monday and I have 10 days to get inspected. At worse, I can drive the car for the next 2 years and will not be allowed to renew my registration. Then I'll have to wait until 2029 to be able to register without emissions inspection. I'm hoping that doesn't happen so I'll keep trying. At least I have 2 years to straighten this out.
That blows, I figured ever state is different, I would still looking into getting collector car insurance for that cobra, you can have it valued at 80k, incase anyone hits it and it gets totaled, you'll get paid for what it's worth.

HPLouis

Established Member
There is, my car is limited to 3k a year, but I don't even put 2k a year on, so it doesn't matter. I just love being able to get 5 year tags for my car lol.

That blows, I figured ever state is different, I would still looking into getting collector car insurance for that cobra, you can have it valued at 80k, incase anyone hits it and it gets totaled, you'll get paid for what it's worth.
Thanks. I put in an application for Grundy. I'm guessing I'll hear something next week as far as pricing and approval.

C2tuck

Established Member
I have a much bigger problem when it comes to inspection. The car has no EGR and the rear O2's are off. Even though the monitors are off and there's no check engine light, the Emissions Station computer will know how many monitors the car has and see they're off and fail the car. Also, the exhaust is not factory so it'll fail with that too.

I am going to title and register the car next week. I'll get my plates and then I have 10 days to get inspection. I'm not even going to try. The car sits in my garage so I'm not worried about parking tickets. I'm just going to drive it. When I'll run into a problem is 2 years from now. I can't renew my registration without an inspection.

I'm hoping to find a place that'll pass me in those 2 years. If not, then I'll just keep the car unregistered from 2024 to 2029. I'll keep it in my garage and take little trips close to home to keep the fluids circulated. Then, in 2029, the car will hit 25 years old and it'll be exempt from inspection and I can register it again.

Register it in Montana. There are ways. Ever notice most million dollar motor homes have Montana plates?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

That definitely works for you. I was just curious. (y)

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Register it in Montana. There are ways. Ever notice most million dollar motor homes have Montana plates?

Some states are cracking down on that hard due to tax evasion. NY is a greedy state, I can't imagine they're blind to it.

OP you should consider taking your car down to Kevin Hand @ Wicked Motorsports for a tri-state friendly retune. Kevin was a long time member of the forum, he did a dyno tune on a friends Marauder which was in the same situation as your cobra, that car was able to pass NJ and NY inspection.

C2tuck

Established Member
Some states are cracking down on that hard due to tax evasion. NY is a greedy state, I can't imagine they're blind to it.

Better idea…move. Move to a non greedy state in the south and drive your car more than 4 months out of the year.

HPLouis

Established Member
They'd catch me. One of the new initiatives around NYC is out of state plates. They think you're either trying to commit crimes, avoid taxes or NYC insurance requirements, etc. I'm not sure if I'd have to change my driver's license too but if I got pulled over and showed a NY license, there would be problems too.

Users who are viewing this thread