My install of the AR/HBH Anti-Wheelhop shocks

03DOHC

Established Member
I took the following from the last page of my install here-->clicky.

I only had a few chances to get on it tonight so there is definately going to be more time before I can say whether or not it cured my wheelhop.

I generally experience wheelhop when it is cold outside or it's wet, and the tires are barely breaking loose. My first run with Larry in the car resulted in a giant DOH! Friggin traction control was on. DUH.:D Try number two. From a slow roll in first gear about 2500 rpm I punched it. Under these conditions my car will start to lose traction at about 3500rpm and that's when she starts hopping like a bunny. Surprisingly she didn't react violently at all. It didn't hop hop, but the tires kind of spun and caught traction a few times WITHOUT the up and down hopping motion.

Seems pretty good so far. I'll wait for it to rain again and get colder and give it more time. But so far they seem to work pretty well.

On the full stiff setting the shocks ride slightly softer than stock. It appears that the AR/HBH shock compression is a little softer than the Bilsteins but the rebound is STIFF. I guess the combination is what makes them work for preventing wheelhop.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Re: seems like you like them

Originally posted by hpbyhermann
they really work well huh......:beer:
So far so good! :beer: Thanks Hermann!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Joe Lynch

Established Member
What we found on the 99 and 01 was that stiffer shocks will reduce the hop amplitude some but it will not eliminate the hop under all conditions. Sticky tires help more than anything else, and the reason is that you can then minimize wheelspin. If the wheels loose traction, you will get some hop, depending upon the surface and the tires.
Joe Lynch
http://www.lx.net/jlynch

grnenvy

Established Member
I have 11 inch rims and 315 nitto's and once they get hot the car either spins or hooks. My car runs mid 11s so I think tires are the big fix and then the amazon kit. I have a huge contact patch with this setup, I think that I have atleast 12 inches on the ground. I will be purchasing the amazon kit next because you know traction is the way to win races

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Joe Lynch
What we found on the 99 and 01 was that stiffer shocks will reduce the hop amplitude some but it will not eliminate the hop under all conditions. Sticky tires help more than anything else, and the reason is that you can then minimize wheelspin. If the wheels loose traction, you will get some hop, depending upon the surface and the tires.
Joe Lynch
http://www.lx.net/jlynch
Thanks for the input Joe! I've been to your site many times over the last year or two and respect your opinion.:beer: If I can eliminate, or reduce, the hop under some conditions I'll be happy. This car is my daily driver and I almost never get to the track so it's on road performance is what I'm mostly concerned about.

I might go to the strip once or twice, just to see what I can get her to do, but that's it. I'd probably go more often if the track was closer, but I don't want to break my car 150 miles from my house. Been there, done that, not fun.

Last edited:

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
03... You said it. I plan to hit the strip a couple of times a year, and in daily driving will just drive around other conditions (wet road, bumpy road). I just want to be able to jump on it in good conditions without apogizing to the passenger or getting waxed by a lesser car that has better traction.
This all sounds promising
JW

Users who are viewing this thread