My GT40 Build

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Cool! I keep my GoPro charged and the wife is pretty good with her DSLR. Let me know.
We will not be able to do it this weekend, the "partner in crime" does in fact have a new car coming to him this weekend, so I still do not have license plates.

Hang tight, we will make it happen!

E

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
So....

On Tuesday I was able to go pick up some temporary license plates, and this morning I unleashed the beast! (kind of)

Nothing to crazy, the ECU is still learning, and the engine/clutch do not yet have 500 miles so for the most part the drive was pretty tame.

Logged 75 miles and will try to get it out again tomorrow.

Superformance GT40 Drive

I am not happy with the camera mount, and the sound is not good. So some things to work on.

E

Last edited:

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
That’s awesome! So is it everything you expected? It turned out gorgeous and is a dream car of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
That’s awesome! So is it everything you expected? It turned out gorgeous and is a dream car of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Oh yeah, the car is on rails. I was on cloud nine driving it.

I did not get too crazy, still need to sort out a few things on it, but overall it is nuts.

:D

E

lilcoop03

Established Member
Would love to see some more video with good audio! Killer car man, congratulations

96dreamer

Established Member
So....

On Tuesday I was able to go pick up some temporary license plates, and this morning I unleashed the beast! (kind of)

Nothing to crazy, the ECU is still learning, and the engine/clutch do not yet have 500 miles so for the most part the drive was pretty tame.

Logged 75 miles and will try to get it out again tomorrow.

I am not happy with the camera mount, and the sound is not good. So some things to work on.

E
This is on highway nn and b in cedar hill isn't it? Didn't realize you were so close to me. Unless your drove out of your way to hit those roads specifically.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
This is on highway nn and b in cedar hill isn't it? Didn't realize you were so close to me. Unless your drove out of your way to hit those roads specifically.
Ha, You caught me!

Those are some great roads to roll on.

I also like 94 out to Defiance.

E

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Any updates on this? How is the ownership experience in general? The driving experience?

I've been seriously considering getting one of these.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Any updates on this? How is the ownership experience in general? The driving experience?

I've been seriously considering getting one of these.

Yes, GT40 updates.
I had one oil pan bolt that was leaking (it was weird) that I changed the bolt out to a stud and sealed it, no more leak.

Driving the GT40 is a really primal experience. You get the enclosed cabin experience like in an MGB, or a Spitfire, with a very connected to the ground feeling. The car is best suited for someone 6' tall or shorter. And I have personally shed a few pounds to make it easier to get in and out, and comfortable to drive.

The shifter is a close gate, and since it uses cables (2) to shift, you really have to learn the pattern and the best way to get to the gear you want. I only have 800 miles on it, so the shifting may get cleaner yet.

Manual brakes really let you feel the road, except for a 65 Mustang when I was in High School I had not driven a car with manual brakes. For me, the pedal effort is normal, just that you can feel better.

The Borla System has been amazing. I was worried about it as the Cobra originally had an 8-stack injection system that I took off after 17 months of ownership and just not being able to get it dialed in. The final tuning was performed by Prestige Motorsports Performance Engine Builders | Concord | Prestige Motorsports (shameless plug) off one of their box tunes from their library. If I was building from scratch, and was getting a "weber looking" injection system, I would have Prestige build the engine and tune it. The ECU is truly a self learning unit, and the engine characteristics have gotten better and better.

I used the 351W based 427, it makes just over 550 hp at the flywheel. But really, the car doesn't need all that. I got hung up on hp numbers, but 500hp is plenty for the car.

If you are considering buying one and in St. Louis, swing by and we can get it out.

I did get a Hero 9 black for Christmas, so expect some videos soon.

E

PS The bundle of snakes is amazing. On medium to hard acceleration it is a symphony back there. Sounds more Ferrari than Ford

Last edited:

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Would love to see an update on both your rides.
-J
So I posted the GT40 above.

The Cobra got a lot of attention this winter. The oil pan gasket replacement was slightly more tricky than I gave it credit for, which required me to do it essentially twice to get it correct. The Aviaid road race pan just did not want to line up on all the holes the first time (two gaskets and a windage tray) and ended up the first go with two bolts that just would not make. I was much more careful the second time, and ran through dry test runs to get the pan on quickly. I also used studs the second time, that after I got the pan seated, I went through one at a time and exchanged them with bolts. Oil pan is now dry as a bone.

Sealing the pan showed me another leak that I could not find while the pan gasket weeped. The back of the intake at the block skirt was leaking...LOL. I was able to patch that with Black Ultra without having to remove the intake. No leaks.

Unhappy with one of new valve cover gasket replacements, I pulled that and again had a better plan and got better results.

These FE motors really want to leak...lol

Went through the brakes, all okay.

The 1" spacer under the carb had warped, so I installed a new one. But the carb can leak gas out the throttle shafts after shutting down the engine. I reduced the float level, and that helped. It is such a tiny amount, I am just going to keep an eye on it this year.

When all was complete, the Cobra got a clay bar, polish, and final wax.

1.jpg

2.jpg

And now helping a buddy who was loosing his mind on a brake system for a Cobra replica, I should have all new brakes/master cylinder with combo valve and some lines finished by next week.

3.jpg

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It looks so good.

Also, that shop is enormous.

I would tell you to paint that wall, but damn, that's a huge wall.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Love it, and great feedback on the Borla injection too.
I’m really liking the 5.2 Aluminator, Borla 8-stack and Tremec TKX for our Backdraft Racing Cobra build.

And those Gulf colors on the GT40 are killer.
Looking forward to video audio clips.
-J

IA Shelby

Established Member
Love it, and great feedback on the Borla injection too.
I’m really liking the 5.2 Aluminator, Borla 8-stack and Tremec TKX for our Backdraft Racing Cobra build.

And those Gulf colors on the GT40 are killer.
Looking forward to video audio clips.
-J
I have been looking at a backdraft build as well. Jay from Vintage Motorsports was not a fan of the 5.2. Not sure where you getting your backdraft.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have been looking at a backdraft build as well. Jay from Vintage Motorsports was not a fan of the 5.2. Not sure where you getting your backdraft.
There is a dealer only a few miles from my house.
I know Vintage has a great reputation and would listen to his concerns.
Lots of guys prefer the pushrod builds, but for our use, I’ll take a low torque 5.2 for my wife.
She won’t go over 4000rpm but I’ll enjoy the 4000-8000rpm range :)
Also the TKO was standard on Backdrafts and my builds included a Magnum upgrade, but now it’ll be easy to use the TKX that replaces the TKO and matches the Coyote shift points.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread