My GT350 Quality Woes...

LUV2REV

Established Member
I discovered a blob of overspray (it is definitely not window sealant) on my drivers side c pillar last week. It appears to be from my black painted roof as it is about 4" down from the roof along the rear window. Not sure how I missed this in the 3 months I have had the car which currently has only 613 KM's. It is quite visible from the passenger side. I tried using clay to remove it but that did not work and I don't want to damage the clear. It appears to be on top of the clear from what I can garner, I assume the black roof is painted after the body is complete.

Any idea if the overspray can be removed by a bodyshop without the need for paint work ? I also have several dirt specks in the paint in various areas.

-My rear bumper is starting to droop or pull away from the fender. I recently looked at a 2017 R and the bumper cap was tight to the quarter panel, are they not all buttoned up the same ??

-I have never had anyone in the backseat yet I have a bunch of scratches on the plastic surrounding the drivers quarter window. Could have been from when it was PDI'd, who knows. I don't trust a dealer to take apart the interior to replace it.

-My front hood has a noticeably larger gap on the passenger side compared to the drivers where it meets the from bumper cap.

Does the factory not do quality checks before the car leaves or does putting a silly UAW "built with pride" or "built by world class people" sticker on the car suffice ? The GT350 is Ford's current flagship performance car until the GT arrives.

My Mexican built 2015 Fiesta ST is truly better from a quality perspective. I have had zero issues or concerns thus far.

Not meant to be a bitch fest, I love my GT350 but this is disappointing.

*An interesting note for those with the black painted roof. There is blue metallic in the black paint which I discovered using an LED light to inspect the overspray. Perhaps that was known but new to me.

P1090031_zpsollv58m8.gif

P1090030_zpse1xlmic0.gif

P1090033_zpsa8spk6zs.jpg

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
That overspray is really bad. The dealer should take care of it.

I got the droop as well, no other problems like that though. I have the black painted roof option too.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

LUV2REV

Established Member
That overspray is really bad. The dealer should take care of it.

I got the droop as well, no other problems like that though. I have the black painted roof option too.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I'm hoping Ford engineers find a fix for the bumper droop as there are quite a few 350's with this issue. Taking the car to the dealer on Friday to address the overspray.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
When you take it to the dealer about the overspray tell them you want the person in the body shop with the longest tenure to look at it not some teenager that washes them.

Breitling

Established Member
That bumper droop is unacceptable. Not sure how Ford misses this type of issue on a top-of-the-line car. Reminds me of my '91 LX coupe that sagged near the license plate area.

I am going to a cars and coffee next weekend where there will be at least one GT350, so I'll take a look at his bumper and see if it's got a similar droop.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
That bumper droop is unacceptable. Not sure how Ford misses this type of issue on a top-of-the-line car. ...

It's not a top-of-the-line car. This isn't a 911. It's still a Mustang that rolls down the assembly line with all the other $20K Mustangs. This QC is just another reason why it's insane for people to be paying outrageous markups for these things.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hood gap is typically just the bump stops needing adjustment.

Bumper gap is a problem.

If the overspray is on top of the clear, it's not a warranty issue.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It's not a top-of-the-line car. This isn't a 911. It's still a Mustang that rolls down the assembly line with all the other $20K Mustangs. This QC is just another reason why it's insane for people to be paying outrageous markups for these things.

It's also another reason that we need to see the old SVT program (circa 2003) return.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Our red/black one came in with a cracked corner light. Had a ton of condensation in it.

8656a6b0187526a16e978e6b62cff0fe.jpg

Good news, my tech was able to access it from the wheel well and not have to take off the front bumper.

Breitling

Established Member

It is currently Ford's top-of-the-line car. For $60k, that bumper sag is unacceptable.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Unfortunately the bumper sag was an unforeseen issue. They test the hell out of these cars, but they don't let one sit for 4 months to make sure all the mounts hold...that wouldn't make sense.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
If the overspray is on top of the clear, it's not a warranty issue.

my 2014 F150 came in with rail dust over spray all over it.. my salesman quickly saw it and had the body shop take care of it before i took delivery.. technically it didnt come from the factory like that, but it was something a dealer will take care of nonetheless.. the OP has a valid complaint about the imperfect paint.. not saying you disagree, but i wanted to point out that..

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
my 2014 F150 came in with rail dust over spray all over it.. my salesman quickly saw it and had the body shop take care of it before i took delivery.. technically it didnt come from the factory like that, but it was something a dealer will take care of nonetheless.. the OP has a valid complaint about the imperfect paint.. not saying you disagree, but i wanted to point out that..

I completely agree, it is an issue. But if it's paint (not rail dust), then it is not covered under warranty if it is on top of the clear coat.

LUV2REV

Established Member

If my econobox Fiesta ST can be built to a higher standard there is no excuse for my $75K GT350 to have such notable cosmetic deficiencies when it leaves Flat Rock. I can almost guarantee you would not find these issues on a new M3/4. Ford needs to fix what needs fixing so this does not happen.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If my econobox Fiesta ST can be built to a higher standard there is no excuse for my $75K GT350 to have such notable cosmetic deficiencies when it leaves Flat Rock. I can almost guarantee you would not find these issues on a new M3/4. Ford needs to fix what needs fixing so this does not happen.
Here, read this.

Unfortunately the bumper sag was an unforeseen issue. They test the hell out of these cars, but they don't let one sit for 4 months to make sure all the mounts hold...that wouldn't make sense.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Does the factory not do quality checks before the car leaves the factory or does putting a silly UAW "built with pride" or "built by world class people" sticker on the car suffice ? The GT350 is Ford's current flagship performance car until the GT arrives.

It is not just Ford with Quality control issues, my new $68K Dodge Hellcat had a couple nice "Birthmarks" and some of the body panels and hood were poorly aligned. :nonono:

I discovered this flaw (crease or ripple) on the back edge of the rear quarter window after I got the car home. There was a similar one on the other side, but not as bad.

After I filed a claim, FCA came back with "these areas Do Not depict a warrantable concern, and that is a Normal Characteristic of that vehicle."

I guess that was a blessing in disguise because I have had several experienced body shop guys tell me to leave it alone.
They said the entire panel would have to be replaced and paint matched to the OEM paint.
They told me "Do not make a mountain out of a mole hill." :nono:

Good luck.

Rear%20Window%204_zps9loy1uiw.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread