My GT wont idle!

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
I have no freaking clue whats going on with this car. Its been below freezing every day this week and the car refuses to idle. I start it in the morning and the engine will immediately die. I can start it and put my foot on the gas and it will continue to run but as soon as I take my foot off it dies. I drove it to work (about 20 miles) no engine light. Stopped at a stop light and it died again. If anyone has any ideas whats wrong or whats going on help me out. Thanks in advance.

whitelx

Established Member
Sounds like an IAC. My contour was doing the same thing and I swapped the IAC and it was beautiful again. If not try the fuel filter.
-whitelx

1998GT

Established Member
my Gt did the same thing and all i did was change the mass air meter, dont know much about cars yet but i think thats what its called, it s the sensor next to the air filter.

MAXX RS4

Established Member
First check all the vacum hoses. A leak anywhere in the vacume like will make the engine die instantly if it's not revving high. That's most likely your culprit.
I don't see how an iac can really cause the engine to die immediately, but it will cause idle problems. I'd check that next.

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
Its the idle air control valve 2 of friends with gts have had the same problem its easy to change thats all it is just do it your self and save some money my girlfriends expedition had the same promblem also nothing big just the iac valve

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
I originally thought the iac. I hadnt gotten arount to pulling it out or checking on prices. What does one of those seem to run normally.

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
lol Its my only means of transportation now. I sold the Cobra about a month ago. Its a good car. I replaced the lower control arms because one of the old ones broke and upgraded from 1/2 bolt to 9/16" bolts to hold them on. It runs like a scalded dog now. put a TB and plenum on it the next thing ill be putting on will be a jlt. I ran it at the track and out ran my brother in my old Cobra. It ran 13.8 dont remember the speed though. Thats with wheel spin off the line. I bet it would do a hell of alot better with a set of slicks and skinnies.

whitelx

Established Member
DO NOT spray carb cleaner on it. If you want to try and clean get some electrical parts cleaner. It wont leave a residue on it and screw it up.
-whitelx

thasalvoo

residue???? Its carb cleaner, it drys up in like 30 seconds....I've never had a problem!! Computer cleaner, isnt that just air??? Every few months i pull mine off and there is a black grime inside and i just spray it out..

MAXX RS4

Established Member
thasalvoo said:
residue???? Its carb cleaner, it drys up in like 30 seconds....I've never had a problem!! Computer cleaner, isnt that just air??? Every few months i pull mine off and there is a black grime inside and i just spray it out..

Electronics cleaner is residue free. Some carb cleaners do in fact leave behind a residue, though they still dry fast. I'd use electronics cleaner unless you have carb cleaner that states its residue free.

whitelx

Established Member
Thnaks MAXX. Yeah they do have a residue free carb cleaner, but Ive always used the electrical parts cleaner. And no its not the air in the can. :lol:
-whitelx

Dr.Kavorkien

Established Member
Take off the Throtle Position sensor, check it with a multi-meter, My T-bird is doing the same thing, well was.. it got worse. I haven't got around to taking the TP senor off yet, but when I do, i'll let you know if that fixed my problem. I checked the vaccuum lines and the Mass Airflow sensor and the IAC, so I think that's all thats left other than it's just a peice of junk 3.8. but anyways, check your TP sensor. they are about 30-40 bucks new, so if you don't have a meter, go pick up a brand new one.

BlownTampaGT

wow it's odd to see someone else with the same problem i'm having right now...glad to know i'm not the only one with a phucked up idle/rev right now...thanks for the info guys!!

Users who are viewing this thread