My FRPP Recaro's just came in...

brandonflood123

Established Member
I swapped a set of 2014 recaros into my 2010 with no issues

See I just did the same thing right now as we speak. I had got some 14 recaros didn't change out anything plugged them in and my airbag light came on. So today I went and bought a 2010 mustang passenger seat and swapped everything over to the recaro, do you know if there's a process to zero the oscm or am I missing something I can't get this light to go away

GT500-2007

Established Member
So I have the same issue.

Got a set of the FRPP Recaros, built 02/2012 according to the seat tag. So I think those would be the "B" series. Installed just the driver side to see what would happen. Airbag light went on. Pulled the airbag from the 2010 seat and just plugged this in in place of the recaro airbag but left the other plug (the big gray one) from the recaro plug in. Airbag light not on and everything else functions fine. Thought, based on earlier posts, that the airbags didn't change. So not sure what to do next. Although I have disconnected the battery when working with the airbag would pulling the fuse reset the system or would resetting thru a handheld scanner be possible. Really am stuck.

Thinking of swapping the 2010 airbag into the recaro seat but can't figure out how to take the recaro upper seat cover off. Unlike the regular factory seat that has a "j hook" running along the bottom that you simply separate and pull the cover up the recaros look to be different. Looked thru the entire thread and Tob's pictures but can't see how to open up the seat cover so I can pull it up to swap the airbag. Anyone have some detailed instructions around these steps if I have no other options?

Thanks!

GT

Paul.

Established Member
There are detailed pictures of exactlying how to strip the skins off the Recaros earlier in this thread. I followed them when I did mine. It's easy.

Paul.

GT500-2007

Established Member
There are detailed pictures of exactlying how to strip the skins off the Recaros earlier in this thread. I followed them when I did mine. It's easy.

Paul.

Yes I saw those but I can't seem to get my finger under the corner edge and I am not sure do I pull down if I get my finger under it or do I just flip it up. I don't want to risk tearing the fabric that's why I was looking for some additional instructions.

Thanks

GT

Paul.

Established Member
The plastic straps sort of fold together. You have to pull down and sort of twist toward you. You'll see once you get it apart.

Paul.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Recaro is almost the defacto seat to go to, but dang they're expensive compared to the others! Corbeau has some decent looking seats, but they're the main ones I was talking about with the cheap vinyl. I haven't checked Bride. I'll have to look into those. My wife used to own a performance shop. I'll ask her of some other brands.

A year later, and I'm still hunting for some seats. I did come across a company called Tecnocraft that makes some all-carbon fiber seats. They supposedly weigh about 6lbs each (without seat frames) and cost about the same as factory Recaros. The issue is the pesky airbag lights and the fact that the passenger airbag would not deploy in a crash. However, I almost never have passengers in it anymore, so...

Shelbyfan73

Established Member
Hello,

I am in the process of adding Recaro seats to my 2013 GT500. I've read your old how to thread several times to prepare for the cloth to leather swap on the seats. I am supposed to be getting my leather black and white take off skins from SAI tomorrow. I am betting that the holes for the leather to hook into the seat belt bezel area will be sliced like yours were. You said you punched new holes in the skins and zip tied them. With that in mind, what did you use to punch the new holes? I don't have a leather punch. I do have one of those hand held, single hole, paper punches. Do you think that might work?

By the way, your Recaro how to is very well laid out and easy to see and understand. Thanks for doing it.

Paul.

Established Member
You don't need anything fancy to punch the hole in the leather. I used an awl to poke a whole through it, then just ran my zip ties and it worked liked a champ.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
An awl works good as does the corner of a sharp razor blade used to make a very short incision.

Please report back as to whether Shelby is still cutting up the skins they resell.

Shelbyfan73

Established Member
Thanks Paul and Tob! You both did a great job on this thread. I'll let you know if Shelby still is cutting the holes out or not.

mgmustang1

Established Member
The plastic holds the leather just fine without cutting new holes. Btw did you pay 3k for just the skins from Shelby on ebay?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Shelbyfan73

Established Member
The plastic holds the leather just fine without cutting new holes. Btw did you pay 3k for just the skins from Shelby on ebay?

Actually, yes, I did. It was more than I was really hoping to pay. I entered my max bid and that is what won the auction in the end. I know how much Ford asks for the seat skins, without the rear seat skins/head rests included. I have also been looking for these color seats for quite awhile and not had much luck. I got a super deal on a local set of low mileage 2014 cloth Recaro seats. All in all, between the cost of the seats and the skins, I still have come out cheaper than buying a front set of Recaro's in the color I wanted. If I could even find them. At least this is the logic I am using on myself to not feel so bad spending that much on skins. ;)

I guess you were bidding or watching them too?

mgmustang1

Established Member
These use to go for 500-600. I'm glad I have a spare set. Same color.

Shelbyfan73

Established Member
These use to go for 500-600. I'm glad I have a spare set. Same color.

I wish I would have had the forethought to have bought them a few years ago. But at that time I didn't want the Recaro seats. Until I sat in some.

I got a price quote from White Bear Lake Ford for 6k for just the front seat skins. Too much for just front seats. Like I said, I looked for some time for the black and white. I saw plenty of black and black or black and red. I thought about the black and black but with my car having white stripes I wanted to stay with the same color scheme.

mgmustang1

Established Member
I wish I would have had the forethought to have bought them a few years ago. But at that time I didn't want the Recaro seats. Until I sat in some.

I got a price quote from White Bear Lake Ford for 6k for just the front seat skins. Too much for just front seats. Like I said, I looked for some time for the black and white. I saw plenty of black and black or black and red. I thought about the black and black but with my car having white stripes I wanted to stay with the same color scheme.
They are really comfortable, and are gorgeous seats. Enjoy!

Paul.

Established Member
Hmmm. Makes me wonder what a complete set of used Shelby Recaros are worth today. I'll be selling mine sometime in the next few months as I prepare for my next car. Perhaps a '19 GT500 or an '18 GT350 with a couple turbos.

Paul.

Paul.

Established Member
They are a set of FRPP "B" seats (2011-12) that were converted to power/heated/adjustable lumbar Shelby leather, (black with white stripes) front and back. See this thread for details. Tob and I "wrote the book" on how to do this. :)

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread