My FMIC Journey.

DaveWertz

Established Member
First off I wanted to say thanks to all that I have absolutely bugged over the last few months, your help was greatly appreciated. I tested positive for Covid in the month of December and had to take time off almost the whole month. SO figured it was the perfect time to get this done. Anyhow, Here are some pics of my install. It actually went pretty smooth minus a few things that were really pissing me off.

The very first obstacle was getting my blower clocked and dealing with the PITA AC lines. It took me about 2hrs to push and bend the lines but I got it done.

Next I got the first leg of piping on and to the cooler, come to find out the power steering cooler was my enemy. SO after trying to manhandle that cooler I said F-it and cut it off, put 2 fittings in each end and just looped them together. DONE!

I then started on the cold side. I used the supplied 90 and then cut a hole in my inner fender well and ran a straight 18" pc to the already existing Vortech charge pipe that connects to the throttle body. That was not my intention but it worked perfect! less bends and pretty much a straight shot to the TB. I also had the flange welded on my for VMP Slot maf. I snipped my old maf and IAT sensor wires and soldered them to the new maf. I then took a fitting and sized it, used a step bit to drill the bottom side of the Vortech charge pipe and used the fitting to thread and that is my IAC valve vacuum. I did it that way to keep it kind of clean under the hood. The passenger side valve cover still connects to the AFM power pipe. I then found a good deal of a K&N 12" filter brand new still in the box for around 40 bucks. SO in total for never doing this before I have right around 8hrs in this total. Minus the time to have my flange for my tial and maf welded. IT was actually pretty simple. The care goes back on the rollers march 26th at DGR, so hopefully without those 180+ IAT temps, and I am already pullied down we can throw some timing at it and get me some more power out of this. Sorry for the pic quality. My engine bay has never been this dirty and the space I was working in is far from ideal. Plus PA weather has been cold so it was quick shots.

Attachments

• IMG_20210129_050409_083.jpg
    IMG_20210129_050409_083.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20210129_050409_111.jpg
    IMG_20210129_050409_111.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20210129_050409_117.jpg
    IMG_20210129_050409_117.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20210129_050409_127.jpg
    IMG_20210129_050409_127.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20210129_050409_135.jpg
    IMG_20210129_050409_135.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20210129_050409_147.jpg
    IMG_20210129_050409_147.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 99

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
First off I wanted to say thanks to all that I have absolutely bugged over the last few months, your help was greatly appreciated. I tested positive for Covid in the month of December and had to take time off almost the whole month. SO figured it was the perfect time to get this done. Anyhow, Here are some pics of my install. It actually went pretty smooth minus a few things that were really pissing me off.

The very first obstacle was getting my blower clocked and dealing with the PITA AC lines. It took me about 2hrs to push and bend the lines but I got it done.

Next I got the first leg of piping on and to the cooler, come to find out the power steering cooler was my enemy. SO after trying to manhandle that cooler I said F-it and cut it off, put 2 fittings in each end and just looped them together. DONE!

I then started on the cold side. I used the supplied 90 and then cut a hole in my inner fender well and ran a straight 18" pc to the already existing Vortech charge pipe that connects to the throttle body. That was not my intention but it worked perfect! less bends and pretty much a straight shot to the TB. I also had the flange welded on my for VMP Slot maf. I snipped my old maf and IAT sensor wires and soldered them to the new maf. I then took a fitting and sized it, used a step bit to drill the bottom side of the Vortech charge pipe and used the fitting to thread and that is my IAC valve vacuum. I did it that way to keep it kind of clean under the hood. The passenger side valve cover still connects to the AFM power pipe. I then found a good deal of a K&N 12" filter brand new still in the box for around 40 bucks. SO in total for never doing this before I have right around 8hrs in this total. Minus the time to have my flange for my tial and maf welded. IT was actually pretty simple. The care goes back on the rollers march 26th at DGR, so hopefully without those 180+ IAT temps, and I am already pullied down we can throw some timing at it and get me some more power out of this. Sorry for the pic quality. My engine bay has never been this dirty and the space I was working in is far from ideal. Plus PA weather has been cold so it was quick shots.

what piece of pipe is that you used where you mounted the Tial? Seriously thinking about relocating my valve to that location but the procharger kit comes with a rubber piece

DaveWertz

Established Member
what piece of pipe is that you used where you mounted the Tial? Seriously thinking about relocating my valve to that location but the procharger kit comes with a rubber piece
Its a "J" pipe from CX racing. I used the entire hot side from them and it fit perfect. Other than the power steering cooler in the way.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Its a "J" pipe from CX racing. I used the entire hot side from them and it fit perfect. Other than the power steering cooler in the way.

thanks, the power steering cooler has to be modified no matter what you do on a front mount

DaveWertz

Established Member
thanks, the power steering cooler has to be modified no matter what you do on a front mount
I seen some people were able to retain them. I wasn't wasting my time with it. I don't road race and really had no need for it. Just cut a pc of hose, pushed in 2 fittings and looped it together

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I seen some people were able to retain them. I wasn't wasting my time with it. I don't road race and really had no need for it. Just cut a pc of hose, pushed in 2 fittings and looped it together

all I did to keep it was a couple or barb fittings, hose clamps and maybe 2 foot of hose

96dreamer

Established Member
Glad you finally got it sorted out man. Looks pretty well laid out and definitely worth the time invested. Quite the weld on that maf flange lol. It certainly shouldn't be going anywhere.

DaveWertz

Established Member
Glad you finally got it sorted out man. Looks pretty well laid out and definitely worth the time invested. Quite the weld on that maf flange lol. It certainly shouldn't be going anywhere.
LOL my buddy owed me like 15 bucks, and he has little experience welding aluminum so I said I don't need show quality but need it to function, made a even swap under the circumstance if he messes up he pays for the materials. Now that I have it in I am going to turn the pipe around so the maf is facing the firewall.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
all I did to keep it was a couple or barb fittings, hose clamps and maybe 2 foot of hose
That's what I did on my 01. I kept planning on going back and installing the cooler. I think I finally tossed the cooler last year after selling the car in 2015.

DaveWertz

Established Member
New numbers are in. Before intercooler i was 427/404. Timing being pulled after 100 degree IAT. I think right around 13lbs of boost.

Now, 8.2lbs of boost, same pulley same setup as last time just intercooled I hit 450/430 with 22 degrees of timing. Pretty stoked I made more power with less boost. Now to chase that boost back...

Sent from my LM-Q620 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread