My first review of Nations 200 amp alternator.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Looking for some insight please, I've been fighting belt squeal ever since installing this alternator. Went from a 1mm washer to 2mm and now 3mm, it cuts down more and more every time but is a washer this thick really necessary? I see yours is 2~mm, could mine be that much out of alignment?
Are you shredding belts? If not what kind of belt are you running? Ever since going with this alternator I have issues with the gates green belts chirping. I've since switched to a gatorback belt and it's been fine.

jbou91

Established Member
Are you shredding belts? If not what kind of belt are you running? Ever since going with this alternator I have issues with the gates green belts chirping. I've since switched to a gatorback belt and it's been fine.

I shredded one belt which was larger than the one I had on their previously, I tried two other smaller belts (green belt and regular continental belt) and still makes noise. It looks like the belt wobbles

The belt I have on there now has little to no slack, should I go to a larger belt?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I shredded one belt which was larger than the one I had on their previously, I tried two other smaller belts (green belt and regular continental belt) and still makes noise. It looks like the belt wobbles

The belt I have on there now has little to no slack, should I go to a larger belt?

If your belt looks like it wobbles, check all your idler pulleys, tensioner, ect. It could be a bad bearing on one of those.

sonicmach1

Established Member
Is your setup still working out? I am considering a mechman or nations as well.

keith89

Established Member
My mechman has been going strong for several years now. The battery light for the mechman install was fixed by connecting the voltage signal wire to a switched 12v source.

Boogie Chillin

Pew, pew, ... pew, pew, pew.
Established Member
This is a good thread to ask a Nations alternator question. OP did a great job. I have a Nations I'm about to install. Is it proper to ground from the alternator mounting bolt to the battery for the engine ground, and battery to chassis at the ground point by the battery with a at the ground point by the front light for the chassis ground? And since both engine and chassis are connected at the battery with heavy gauge wire, is it necessary to add / upgrade the motor mount to chassis ground wire?

From the videos, Mechman was different from the Nations and then there were some J2Fab big 3 vids where old wiring was stripped out of the loom. I'll have to dig into the loom to figure out what stays and what gets replaced. The direction do not mention grounding the alternator itself. Looks like the OP has the ground on the lower mounting bolt with the shim washer.

BTW - They supply two 2mm washers now. Am I correct in thinking that these washers are only used on the lower mount point to shim one side of the alternator and not on both sides?

Thanks... It's been a few months since I broke something, so I figured I'd do this during the pinko-pox..

Attachments

• Scan 2020-3-25 15.33.48.pdf
    297.7 KB · Views: 175
  • Scan 2020-3-25 18.57.10.pdf
    502.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This is a good thread to ask a Nations alternator question. OP did a great job. I have a Nations I'm about to install. Is it proper to ground from the alternator mounting bolt to the battery for the engine ground, and battery to chassis at the ground point by the battery with a at the ground point by the front light for the chassis ground? And since both engine and chassis are connected at the battery with heavy gauge wire, is it necessary to add / upgrade the motor mount to chassis ground wire?

From the videos, Mechman was different from the Nations and then there were some J2Fab big 3 vids where old wiring was stripped out of the loom. I'll have to dig into the loom to figure out what stays and what gets replaced. The direction do not mention grounding the alternator itself. Looks like the OP has the ground on the lower mounting bolt with the shim washer.

BTW - They supply two 2mm washers now. Am I correct in thinking that these washers are only used on the lower mount point to shim one side of the alternator and not on both sides?

Thanks... It's been a few months since I broke something, so I figured I'd do this during the pinko-pox..
Interesting they supply some washers now. I should have asked about it a few weeks ago when I ordered a bigger alternator pulley.

I'd recommend doing the wire upgrade and installing it the way you mentioned. That's how mine are.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Boogie Chillin

Pew, pew, ... pew, pew, pew.
Established Member
Interesting they supply some washers now. I should have asked about it a few weeks ago when I ordered a bigger alternator pulley.

I'd recommend doing the wire upgrade and installing it the way you mentioned. That's how mine are.

2mm x 1 required for my install.

IMG_5980.JPG

IMG_5982.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

hasonic

Established Member
Bdubbs how's the nations going? How many miles on it already? Any more issues with the belts?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Bdubbs how's the nations going? How many miles on it already? Any more issues with the belts?
It's still running strong. I don't put a ton of miles on. No problems with belts either.

hasonic

Established Member
Glad to hear, by any chance do you remember the size pulley you got with yours?

It's still running strong. I don't put a ton of miles on. No problems with belts either.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Glad to hear, by any chance do you remember the size pulley you got with yours?
I want to say it's around 2.9". I recently ordered a larger one from them which is around 3.1" in case I install my 4lb lower.

Nation's said I could run the smaller one with a lower without any trouble. The larger pulley is now standard on the nation's alternator.

Users who are viewing this thread