My first review of Nations 200 amp alternator.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So there's no known fix for the battery light?

I think there might be. I haven't looked into it that much yet. I believe it involves running a signal wire to the fuse box I believe. I know Mechman was making a kit for their alternator I believe. This is the first time since I've had the car that the battery light has ever come on. Mine only did it for a split second and only once.

digital911

Established Member
I think there might be. I haven't looked into it that much yet. I believe it involves running a signal wire to the fuse box I believe. I know Mechman was making a kit for their alternator I believe. This is the first time since I've had the car that the battery light has ever come on. Mine only did it for a split second and only once.
I'm wondering if my possible misaligned belt is causing the batt light at full throttle at high rpm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

jwcobra03

Established Member
The alignment won't cure your batt light issue. My Natiion's does it and my alignment is fine. Some have said it could be the brushes bouncing at high rpm. Typically mine will do it around 5800-6k. Not ever single pull but more often than not. It maintains an output of 13.7 at the lowest on a wot pull and 14.3-5 at idle. Has to be a signal issue. I just deal with it. I'm not wot a lot.

Last edited:

digital911

Established Member
That supplied bolt from nations was to thick in diameter. Retain all factory bolts and make sure the correct washer is used. Did you see my thread with pictures? I was running a Gates HD green belt.

OK I see the photo now. So I need to insert the nations washer in between the lower mounting bracket and the alternator and use the factory alternator bolt, correct?

digital911

Established Member
The alignment won't cure your batt light issue. My Natiion's does it and my alignment is fine. Some have said it could be the brushes bouncing at high rpm. Typically mine will do it around 5800-6k. Not ever single pull but more often than not. It maintains an output of 13.7 at the lowest on a wot pull and 14.3-5 at idle. Has to be a signal issue. I just deal with it. I'm not wot a lot.
OK just thought it could be slipping. I will log some data and check the voltage after a few runs. I just made the adjustment to the alternator mount w/ the nation's washer as BDubbs recommended and also just got through putting a new belt on.
Just took it for a short test drive and didn't notice the batt light but I didn't get into it all the way to redline.

I'll do some more testing and post back. Thanks, especially BDubbs for the info.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
OK I see the photo now. So I need to insert the nations washer in between the lower mounting bracket and the alternator and use the factory alternator bolt, correct?

Correct, but for me the washer nations included wasn't thick enough. I had to go nearly twice as thick.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ive never paid attention when I turn my key on but does the batt light come on key on engine off? I know for a fact I occasionally drop voltage at WOT. Sometimes for just a couple hundred rpms, sometimes for like 2k, sometimes not at all. Never had the batt. light.

Depending on your guys' answers Ill take a look at the wiring and see if something was done to not get the light.

99cobrajn

cant touch this........
Established Member
I have one of these kits new in box i dont need anymore. I have one on my car and love it so far. PM ME

Harley Butler

Established Member
Ok I think the washer that was with the kit is to small or something I have a bad bad scream when the car is running will not go away

digital911

Established Member
Ok I think the washer that was with the kit is to small or something I have a bad bad scream when the car is running will not go away
Probably means your belt is too tight and or out of alignment. When I put my nations on, the belt I had was too tight according to the tensioner but I ignored it and ran the car, it squeeled and then a few days later my belt was destroyed.

With a 2.8 upper & stock lower and nation's alternator and stock idlers with a 90mm snub blower idler I now run a 75 and 5/8" belt which works perfect.

Harley Butler

Established Member
Probably means your belt is too tight and or out of alignment. When I put my nations on, the belt I had was too tight according to the tensioner but I ignored it and ran the car, it squeeled and then a few days later my belt was destroyed.

With a 2.8 upper & stock lower and nation's alternator and stock idlers with a 90mm snub blower idler I now run a 75 and 5/8" belt which works perfect.

I don't think it's to tight and it don't sound like a belt at all I'll try to post a video

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

I already stated that I needed a different washer than what was supplied with the kit. About double the width.

jbou91

Established Member
Looking for some insight please, I've been fighting belt squeal ever since installing this alternator. Went from a 1mm washer to 2mm and now 3mm, it cuts down more and more every time but is a washer this thick really necessary? I see yours is 2~mm, could mine be that much out of alignment?

Users who are viewing this thread