my exhaust experience and thoughts

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Will in a little bit. Old lady will murder me if I do it in the neighborhood

HAHAHA! I know the feeling. I used to live in a condo and had real old neighbors. One day my garage was already open, and I got into the car and the old man was on his porch which is about 5 feet away from my rear tailpipes. Fired it up (OR X and GT500s w resonator deletes) and backed it out and he comes walking real fast towards me so I roll down the window and he just goes "WOW! Can you roll that out from now on before you start it". I always did after that lol. The old lady absolutely despised my car. I got a scoffing look every time she saw me in it lol. Good times

Mat5.0

Established Member
HAHAHA! I know the feeling. I used to live in a condo and had real old neighbors. One day my garage was already open, and I got into the car and the old man was on his porch which is about 5 feet away from my rear tailpipes. Fired it up (OR X and GT500s w resonator deletes) and backed it out and he comes walking real fast towards me so I roll down the window and he just goes "WOW! Can you roll that out from now on before you start it". I always did after that lol. The old lady absolutely despised my car. I got a scoffing look every time she saw me in it lol. Good times

I mean she loves the car and sound but she doesnt want to piss off the neighbors, I'll play along. All the kids in the neighborhood LOVE the car, so far no one's complained but I'm sure they secretly hate me. Plus I just loaded up the idle lope tune from AED so that can't help much haha

Acunamatata

Established Member
Nah what are they? I can embed a YouTube link here or post there
Screenshot_20170225-221244.png

Mat5.0

Established Member
Post a video

Only about a week late on this, but here's the video with a few revs. Currently running idle lope tune for fun because I just got it but I probably will go back to performance tune until I actually cam the car.

Mat5.0

Established Member
Taken with a cell phone so the backfire sounds pretty awful but you get the idea

Cain96

Established Member
I'm a little bored this morning and I was thinking about the recent changes I made to my exhaust, and thought I'd share my thoughts so hopefully it can help someone else who may be thinking of trying different set ups and how it may affect the noise level / drone etc. Gonna be a little lengthy to provide all my thoughts/experiences because the way my car sounds to me is almost as important as it looks. I like talking about exhausts as you can probably tell.....

Stock is too quiet, I think almost everyone feels that way so I originally ordered some GT500 mufflers because I heard they sounded good. Put those on and it was a noticible difference and did sound good but I wanted more so I had a shop put 3" resonator deletes in place. I didn't wait too long to do that and it again made it a little louder, but more of a throaty sound than before. No drone at all and it got a little louder over time but still wanted more so next was a Pypes OR X.

On start up VERY noticable difference. Growl sounded crazy and I loved it. Until the car gets warmed up this set up is very raspy. Cold start can be neighbor waking (I start my car w/ the garage door shut just in case lol). Once it gets warmed up it's not as loud and putting around or normal driving isn't loud at all. Sounds good though. You can for sure hear it in the cab but it's not annoying at all. Once you get up to highway speeds anything under 80 you can't barely and I mean barely hear it in the cab and that is with zero radio or conversation going . If you are talking with someone or have the radio on at all you won't notice it. 80mph and over you can start to hear it more but honestly who drives 85mph steadily for very long and even so there is still no drone, you can just hear it. Again, 80mph and under on cruise you won't even notice it. Next up was I wanted to try another muffler so I picked up some Kooks.

They were about half the size of the GT500s so I thought they'd be much louder. Put them on and on start up noticed right away WAY deeper sounded. Super deep. That sound stays with it and on my set up with the OR X and resonator deletes this just wasn't going to work. The deep resonating drone was crazy. 2k RPM was SUPER annoying. It was like having a fog horn inside your head. What's odd about those is under throttle (moderate to full) they actually get quieter after about 2500 and I think decible wise are quieter than the GT500s under moderate / full throttle and lack that hard growl the GT500s have.

The next day I put the gt500s back on and immediately started smiling and was just like being home after a long time away and just felt right. Put a big smile on my face b/c it just sounded and felt right again. To me this is about the best of a set up you can get. Under throttle (moderate to full) it sounds really mean. Like people go man that sounds good! It's just got a crazy gurggle sound/race car/kind of exotic sound to it. And the best part is under normal driving and cruzing it's nothing that would turn heads at all - really tame. I've even had people compliment me at stop lights from light to light normal driving say how good it sounds and ask if it came that way stock. If you give it the beans though they will quickly know it's not stock and that's the best part.

Well, thats my story. Thanks for reading and if anybody has any questions for me I'll do my best to give you my honest feedback

Thanks for posting this.. it's nice to read about others experiences with their exhaust setups/sound. On my 2013, I have kooks 1 7/8 LTH.. with off road H pipe... along with magnaflow competition quad axle backs.. and at cold start its a neighborhood shaker....... warmed up though and it really backs off the sound. Anything above 3k rpms and it sounds like the car is about to blow up... which is fun, but honestly it sometimes mess with what I think speed the car is really at.. along with boost levels... if that makes sense.

I used to be able to go off sound, now there is no way. I will admit that it can get pretty loud at 70 plus mph... cruising... drone can get pretty obnoxious... but I just love the sound when it accelerates. I was thinking of maybe doing an electronic cutoff to add to this.. but I don't know if those work well with an already installed aftermarket exhaust setup.

Users who are viewing this thread