my early '01 has a teksid block? (see pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
after reading this thread, clicky out of curiosity I took a look at my car, and I was surprised to see that I could actually see teksid block features on the intake valley of my early '01 cobra (#50 off the line)

here is the pic
intakevalley.JPG

here is it zoomed
intakevalleyzoom.JPG

you can clearly see the square grids. Just like the picture of the Teksid block in this picture:
attachment.php

where as WAP blocks have a diamond shaped grids like this:
attachment.php

can you modular gurus (quadcammer?) confirm based on these pics? or am I smoking crack???

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
It's possible a few left over Teksids were used in the early run '01s.

Last edited:

Keith 5.0

5.0 is the way to go
Established Member
I have my block sitting on my coffee table as I'm getting it ready to send off to my engine builder. It has the same square grids. Does this mean that it's definately a teksid block?

Fourcam330

Established Member
Keith 5.0 said:
I have my block sitting on my coffee table as I'm getting it ready to send off to my engine builder. It has the same square grids. Does this mean that it's definately a teksid block?

What year car did your block come from?

Taz

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
It's possible a few left over Teksids were used on the first run '01s.

It's also possible that more than "a few" Teksids were used in the '01's. I have that same block, and my car is #1925 of 3384 convertibles. The car's build date was 30 MAY 01, and my engine's build date was 17 APR 01, putting it past the middle of the '01 production run.

I realize that Sean Hyland's book states that the WAP block was used for the '01 engines, but the fact is that I've asked other early adopters of the '99/'01 KB kit if any of the '01 owners had a WAP block. Nobody responded affirmatively, so maybe Sean Hyland isn't the infallible Mustang oracle that we sometimes fancy him to be.

T-

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I read somewhere that there were about 150 Teskid blocks used in the early 99's. It may have been in the SVT Recognition Guide. I will try to find it tonight. Mine is a 97, but was built in Oct 96 and has the old ink signatures on the valve cover like the 96's did, so anything is possible. If you do have a Teskid block, be glad. They are supposed to be able to handle up to 800+ blown HP. If you rebuild the top half of these engines, you can make a monster and eat those twin turbo Supras for lunch!

Fourcam330

Established Member
Taz said:
It's also possible that more than "a few" Teksids were used in the '01's. I have that same block, and my car is #1925 of 3384 convertibles. The car's build date was 30 MAY 01, and my engine's build date was 17 APR 01, putting it past the middle of the '01 production run.

I realize that Sean Hyland's book states that the WAP block was used for the '01 engines, but the fact is that I've asked other early adopters of the '99/'01 KB kit if any of the '01 owners had a WAP block. Nobody responded affirmatively, so maybe Sean Hyland isn't the infallible Mustang oracle that we sometimes fancy him to be.

T-

I don't quote Sean Hyland on anything. His parts/prices/motors absolutely suck as do his results.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Hersheyman said:
I read somewhere that there were about 150 Teskid blocks used in the early 99's. It may have been in the SVT Recognition Guide. I will try to find it tonight. Mine is a 97, but was built in Oct 96 and has the old ink signatures on the valve cover like the 96's did, so anything is possible. If you do have a Teskid block, be glad. They are supposed to be able to handle up to 800+ blown HP. If you rebuild the top half of these engines, you can make a monster and eat those twin turbo Supras for lunch!

You mean bottom end. Tim Palmer ran a stock B top end to 8s @ 162 @ 3300lbs+. John Mihovetz has successfully used a teksid @ .020" over to 2000HP @ 40psi.
I would still recommend an iron block for a daily driver/weekend warrior. The extra block rigidty comes in handy on forced induction 4.6s.

Taz

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
I don't quote Sean Hyland on anything. His parts/prices/motors absolutely suck as do his results.

I don't recall having said that you had. I mentioned the book as a preemptive measure. ;-)

Knowing the argumentative vein that runs through this forum, I had no doubt that SOMEONE eventually would.

T-

Fourcam330

Established Member
99BlackCobra said:
What difference does it make??? just curious.

The casting process is different, making the WAP less dense than the Teksid and a few lbs lighter. N/A you'll be fine with either.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Taz said:
I don't recall having said that you had. I mentioned the book as a preemptive measure. ;-)

Knowing the argumentative vein that runs through this forum, I had no doubt that SOMEONE eventually would.

T-

:beer:

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
My late 01 has the Teksid block. I think more were used than the literature suggests.

Todd

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
yup, thats a teksid.
lucky bastage.
the wap block is thinner and has the extra ribbing. mine has been holding up fine, but id prefer a teksid, no doubt.

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
My car was built at about the same time as your car i'm going to check it out and see.

Edit nevermind mine is a WAP block.

Last edited:

01Cobra896

Established Member
I am not sure when mine was built. I am the 2nd owner and have not recieved my build info from SVT yet. I just went out to mine and it has a teksid block. When I have more info on my ride, I will let you know. Maybe there is a way to find out when they quit putting the teksid blocks in the '01's?

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Someone can just call 1-800-FORDSVT M-F and ask them.
01Cobra896 said:
I am not sure when mine was built. I am the 2nd owner and have not recieved my build info from SVT yet. I just went out to mine and it has a teksid block. When I have more info on my ride, I will let you know. Maybe there is a way to find out when they quit putting the teksid blocks in the '01's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread