My Double Din How To.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tango7

Established Member
This is how I made a double din radio fit in my 99 cobra with a single din. First let me say this worked for me. It may or may not work in your mustang.

Parts list
01-04 radion bezel
Pioneer AVH 4100DVD
SCOSCHE DOUBLE DIN KIT FD3090 $15.00
SCOSCHE WIRING CONNECTOR FDK106 $10.00
1 ½ X 5/8 GALVCORNER 102894 $01.76
1/8 X ¾ X 3 ALUMINUM FLAT ROD 24403 $04.17

Other than the Pioneer and bezel all parts were bought at Walmart and lowes.
Here is what I started out with.
Christmas2010027.jpg

1) Use the ford removal tool and remove head unit and cd player.Here is what it should look like.
Christmas2010028.jpg

2) Remove the screw at the rear holding the brace for the radio and then remove the shifter knob,radio bezel and shifter boot. Note "make sure to remove the screw or you will brake your radio bezel.
Christmas2010029.jpg

3)After that is removed here is what you should have. The tabs will have to be cut off flush or the new double din bezel will not fit. grind them with a dremel or a small hack saw will work..
Christmas2010030.jpg

4) After this is done you will have to fit the radio attached to the kit and measure where you want the radio to fit in the new 01-04 bezel. This was the hardest part for me. After that is done take the bezel and radio out.
cut the metal to make a bracket to hold the kit in and mount a brace for the back of the radio to rest on. I used the screw I removed for the radio support.
Doubledin.jpg

5)I used the wiring kit from walmart and it worked great, installed the bezel and shifter. Note when doing this I am not able to get the shifter boot to fit correctly it may be me or something but i will fix that later. I also need to modify the lower bar so the buttons will fit in the bezel. Anyway hope this helps
Christmas2010021.jpg

cobra2011005.jpg

z28Eater

Hemi's Worst Nightmare
Established Member
good work man. i have a bezel for sale since i traded in my 99. to me, its a must do mod.

great stuff!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Looks real nice, you seem to know your way around the head unit wiring Tango7 question for you, I wanna remove both stock pieces and put my Alpine CD on top and some gauges on the bottom, can you direct me to the correct part # connector I need?
Also I'm jealous of your front seats, are those from an 01?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread