my Coyote 5.0 VS a cam, bolt-ons 5th gen LS3 Camaro

Status
Not open for further replies.

okc12silvergt

Established Member
Had a guy message me on FB saying his buddy wanted to rerun me in is 5th gen Camaro with a cam and full exhaust 6spd manual car. We ran once on the highway when I randomly seen him. I pulled him pretty bad like 4 cars. Well he said he had passengers and wanted a rerun. So I say WTH ill rerun him. We meet at a spot in Mexico and go out for a few runs. We both have 1 passenger to make it even. I had my passenger record with a camera but I guess it didn't record Do'h. anyway we did 40 MPH rolls each time. First run we line up and I honk. I pull him about 2-3 cars to 120-130. 2nd run this time he honks I jump out on him and start to pull a little more and he missed 3rd. 3rd run I jump out on him have about 2 cars on him when I miss 4th and let out. All in all I was very happy I was able to pull a cam bolt-ons 400+ WHP 6spd 5th gen. I figured I would stil pull him with the weght difference but wanted show him what was up. I love racing 5th gen Camaros LOL.

I have seen just bolt-on 5th gens with the LS3 make 400 WHP so I figure with the cam he has got to be at least 420 if not close to 450 WHP. My friends cam, headers, xpipe, intake 5th gen L99 Auto car made 417 WHP.

Cliff notes: Rerun a cam, bolt-ons 6spd LS3 5th gen Camaro. Pull him 2-3 cars.

Last edited:

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Not trying to bash on the 5th gen camaros but is the weight difference really that bad? I've raced a full bolt on camaro (no aftermarket cam) and raped it. And my Boss was all stock at the time. What gives?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Nice kill.

I had some kid in a V6 5th Gen toying around with me, thing is he thought he stood a chance. It was murder, I was spraying, he refused to pull back along side of me, tucked in behind me and stayed there.

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
You could be a bit short on RWHP numbers for that 5th gen. My buddy has full exhaust, intake, a cam and tune on his 5th gen and is putting down 482rwhp. He only ran a 12.5 on street tires and 20" ZL1 wheels though. These coyotes in stock form can give those modded 5th gen boats a run for their money! :beer: nice kill.

OneSlowV

Established Member
Should be a 11s car easy with good tires. A cammed ls3 should eat a bolt on 5.0 no problem. Op you must really run some piss poor 5th gen drivers lol

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Should be a 11s car easy with good tires. A cammed ls3 should eat a bolt on 5.0 no problem. Op you must really run some piss poor 5th gen drivers lol

Your saying the SS should be an easy 11 sec car or the coyote? I'm positive the 5.0 is an 11sec car with those mods. Not all the way knowledgeable on if a cammed/exhaust LS3 5th gen is up to that task. If so then alright.

LajosV

Established Member
Nice kill! My buddy who as an SS and I are set to do a rerun soon as he gets some tires!

dead man walkin

Established Member
It all depends on the cam, only 5th gen that beat me was running heads, nasty cam, headers, catless, X pipe, rear end, and tune, and it was still close.. and I had cai and 91 tune.. The Camaros know the mustang is faster. The mustang is lighter and we lose less in our driveline then the camaro. Dyno a camaro 350 hp to the rear tires is a decent stock number vs our 370 number. Toss in our weight advantage and superior rear gearing.. then you get into aftermarket. . They can't adjust their cams like we can with tuning.. Their heads don't flow as good as ours.. The only reason that camaro walked in that video was due to the 75 shot. He still won and a win is a win .

LS1FTMFW

Banned
It all depends on the cam, only 5th gen that beat me was running heads, nasty cam, headers, catless, X pipe, rear end, and tune, and it was still close.. and I had cai and 91 tune.. The Camaros know the mustang is faster. The mustang is lighter and we lose less in our driveline then the camaro. Dyno a camaro 350 hp to the rear tires is a decent stock number vs our 370 number. Toss in our weight advantage and superior rear gearing.. then you get into aftermarket. . They can't adjust their cams like we can with tuning.. Their heads don't flow as good as ours.. The only reason that camaro walked in that video was due to the 75 shot. He still won and a win is a win .

Well a heads/cam LS3 can hit well over 500 whp easily... If you want all out n/a power you can't beat an LS3. I would probably go with a 5.0 given the choice, but I would hate to hit the wall after bolt ons your only option is nitrous or $10k f/i build.

Most 5th gen owners don't mod their cars how they should though, they ignore things like rotational mass and weight and gearing. Like the one the op raced in the first post.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member

LS1FTMFW

Banned
I didn't even watch the video, but I would sure hope a 5th gen with full bolt on's/cam/and a 75 shot would take a bolt on mustang. If not, shame on Chevrolet.

The point was the amount of power it made in reference to a comment about the car the op raced having "480+ whp".

Blackoyote

Established Member
... I was spraying, he refused to pull back along side of me, tucked in behind me and stayed there.

Why waste the go-go juice on a V6er?? Haha, that poor guy. Atleast he'll be pleasantly surprised next time he only gets ran by 20 car lengths when someone isn't juicing.

ExTurbo

Established Member
LS3 is certainly capable of making good power, my LS2 GTO was basically a full bolt on car with just a cam and put down 420whp. the bigger LS3 should easily make more than that with a cam and if it has a good set of heads can make closer to 500whp N/A. I know the camaros run TALLLLL tires which doesnt help their cause, they need them to look right on the street but it takes a lot to turn that tire over with any kind of haste. L99 cars are quick at the track with the 4l80 but run out of once they get out of the hole, at least compared to 5.0's. I do miss having cheap options, like swapping a cam out. One of the best HP/dollar mods out there for an LS engine, not to mention a relatively easy install. I still wouldnt give up the 5.0, love the way these motors rev :)

Nice kill :)

OneSlowV

Established Member
There are guys with bolt ons and a stall running high 11s with a L99 camaro. A cammed LS3 should run better than that.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Good Kill OP! Do you have any track times

This!!

Hillbillyred

Established Member
I have 12 ss with the ls3 6 spd manual and it is cammed, headers, hi flo cats, cold air intake, and ported throttle body. I made 478 whp and 480 tq. My stock boss im pretty sure wud win on the short runs, but im pretty sure ( havent tested em side by side yet ) on the longer run the ls3 would run me dwn. The l99 cars with auto trans make considerably less power unless they do the vvt delete along with the ls3 conversion. Then they can be pretty nice running cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread