My conversion to Magnum trans review and question on clutch adjustment t.

FIREBALL

Established Member
What about using a longer handle? I know it'll lengthen the throw, but the extra leverage should help with the notchiness.

Let's be honest though, a trans designed to handle 700+hp is never going to shift like butter. I don't know what you consider overly notch, but it's never going to shift like a Honda with a hydraulic clutch.

I have an 8" Hurst Handle, The Silver Sport shifter has a 20% reduction in throw, maybe I should go with the stock Magnum shifter and put up with the sloppiness-??

Maybe clunky would better describe it instead of notchy, The second worst shifting trans I ever had was my 1971 Triumph TR6, but it was an upgrade compared to both my Tremecs.

Last edited:

FIREBALL

Established Member
I called Silver Sport and asked them if their shifter can be made less stiff and they say the stiffness is in the transmission as they do not use any springs/tensioner in the shifter. (The 3650 is different and most aftermarket shifter for them have springs). They said that the 20% throw reduction built into their shifter makes the notcy worse. They achieve the 20% buy changing up the fulcrum/pivot point. So Im now really considering going with the stock Magnum shifter as I dont really need the shorter throw.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I called Silver Sport and asked them if their shifter can be made less stiff and they say the stiffness is in the transmission as they do not use any springs/tensioner in the shifter. (The 3650 is different and most aftermarket shifter for them have springs). They said that the 20% throw reduction built into their shifter makes the notcy worse. They achieve the 20% buy changing up the fulcrum/pivot point. So Im now really considering going with the stock Magnum shifter as I dont really need the shorter throw.

FWIW I use the stock shifter and an old Tri-Ax handle. I would say yeah doesn't feel like a import but way better than my old 3650 or TKO500/600. Amsoil is my go to and noticed a difference VS the cheap shift I used for break in.

Last edited:

52merc

Established Member
After all the good praise for the Amsoil, I changed out my 3650 from the Royal Purple Synchromesh that I've had in it since almost new. It does shift better, especially the first few shifts when the transmission is not up to temperature yet. I finally installed my shifter gasket at the same time. That has reduced gear noise from the transmission. I'm running a Steeda Tri-Ax.

Now I just need to add some sound deadening to the rear seat-trunk area to reduce the gear noise from the rear gears after my FTBR install.

FIREBALL

Established Member
I did go with the Amsoil but not much improvement and transmission was more noisy, I switched to the Tremec MTF and so far that has worked the best, slightly smoother and less noise. Ill be changing shifters from the Silver Sport to the stock Magnum shifter----hoping for a good noticeable improvement.

FIREBALL

Established Member
I installed my Tremec shifter, 40% smoother and less notchy feeling than with the Silver Sport. Some have said the Tremec magnum shifter is sloppy (the factory 3650 shifter is sloppy)--I wouldnt describe it that way. It does have a longer throw and the gate doesnt feel as tight as the Silver Sport, it just feels smooth and goes from gear to gear much more easy, I atribute some of this to that the transmission has been broken in more and switching to Tremec MTF. I can now say that this Magnum definitely shifts much better than the 3650, and now very happy I made the switch.

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Mine has gotten extremely better in the first 200 miles. I got another 300 miles of break-in period on the tranny/clutch. After that I'm gonna drain the fluid and take a peak at it. Then throw Amsoil in it.

FIREBALL

Established Member
I installed my Magnum and went for 50 mile test drive, Not going to do a step by step install guide as there are many of those but here is my review and what Ive got so far.

Purchased the D&D magnum trans kit one year ago, I just finish the install and with the aluminum drive line that came with it. Took me 2 full days
I Got the wide ratio--2.97 first gear. The tremec 3650 has a granny 1st gear and the magnum 1st gear is a welcome relief for me, although the close ratio magnum is a good choice also. The 6th gear will probably not get used much.

The installation went fairly smooth, I went with a Center Force clutch plate and instead of using the Stifflers trans mount that came with the kit I bought a 2003/04 oem cobra mount off of ebay. Tremec recommends stock rubber mounts . I had to use the spacers that came with the Stifflers on the stock mount.

I went with a Silver Sport Shifter as I have seen some bad reviews about the Tremec shifter that came with it.

On the road, I like the wide ratio, the 2nd and 3rd gear are very close to the 3650 anyways and the magnum 5th gear works for me-----To do over I might have gone with the close ratio but really there is not that much difference and I will not be drag racing, but maybe some track days.

Pros, shorter throw with a narrow and precise gate, quieter than the 3650 and not as much backlash like the 3650

Cons. I am very disappointed with the notchiness, initially it is more notchy than the 3650, I went with Redline D4 oil but before I drive it any more Im going to drain that out and go with a Dex3 dino for break in. I have read that you need to put 1500 to 3000 miles before it smooths out-----Any thoughts on this?? I installed a maximum motor sports quadrant and used the cable spacer that came with it. Also have a firewall adjuster and it is now adjusted almost all the way out to get about 3/8" freeplay at the pedal???. so my question is whats up with the adjuster now having to be all the way out to get the proper adjustment. Who have had this notchy problem with a magnum. Everything I read said the Magnums were smooth shifting and was one reason I went this route.-----pretty expensive upgrade only to have more notchy!!!!
EDIT----------
I changed to the stock Magnum shifter and went with Tremec Mtf, Everything is good now and I am happy I switched to the Magnum.

And here is my thread on a magnum reverse lockout delete.--- T56 magnum and 6060 reverse lock out solenoid delete--that works!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread