My conversion to Magnum trans review and question on clutch adjustment t.

FIREBALL

Established Member
I also did the Anti Venom Mod which did help make the shifting a little easier but does not help the notchiness and I didnt expect that it would have, but anything helps a little.

FIREBALL

Established Member
interesting. My magnum was used and apparently the PO beat on it a little more than I was lead to believe. My 2-3 is pretty notchy/crunchy until it warms up. If I let it sit until coolant temps hit 180 or so, by the time Im out of my neighborhood it goes away. Im running the red base Tremec shifter and once its got some heat in it (Amsoil trans fluid) I find mine to be very smooth (rxt dual disc for whatever it matters) .

Many say that the Tremec shifter is sloppy thats why I went with the Silver Sport shifter, but my Silver sport has never loosened up and is still very tight. Silver Sport has a 20% shorter throw than the Tremec. You say with your Tremec Shifter that it shifts smooth, maybe I should try my Tremec shifter----but I dont want to go from too tight to too loose

FIREBALL

Established Member
I switched to the Tremec HP Mtf yesterday, too early to tell, I only drove it a short distance, this is the second time Ive tried this, the first time was in my 3650. One thing that I noticed that I didnt the first time is the stuff does not smell or look like any of the snycromesh or ATF fluids or any kind of gear oil. It smells like motor oil and is a light honey color, it reminds me of one of the Castrol motor oils. According to Tremec it is synthetic blend with a viscosity rating at 100 C of 12.1. That comes close to Castrol 5-40 motor oil,??? hmmm

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Many say that the Tremec shifter is sloppy thats why I went with the Silver Sport shifter, but my Silver sport has never loosened up and is still very tight. Silver Sport has a 20% shorter throw than the Tremec. You say with your Tremec Shifter that it shifts smooth, maybe I should try my Tremec shifter----but I dont want to go from too tight to too loose

it’s definitely sloppy compared to the MGW I had on my 3650 but this far haven’t had any issues finding gears. The other shifter options don’t seem to have great reviews so I haven’t changed.
Sadly I believe MGW wasn’t happy with their design and didn’t put it out/ walked away

FIREBALL

Established Member
I had the mgw shifter on my 3650 but it was too tight (stiff)like my silver sport is on my Magnum, I ended up with the pro 5 which was better but didnt help the 3650 notchy. For the Magnum the hurst black jack gets good reviews and may be a good compromise???

03venomdsg

Established Member
I have the magnum as well had issues with the notchiness/crunch then switched to amsoil synthetic atf and it is much better, slightly notchy with low rpm shifts but much better than the stock t56. I have the stock tremec shifter also high rpm shifts are smooth as butter, like I said just a little notchy when normal street driving.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Of all the hundreds of post and opinions Ive read , Amsoil Atf comes up the most as being the best choice-----But which one? Amsoil has about 6 or 7 different ATFs

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Tremec recommends Mobil 1 ATF. That's what I use.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Tremec Magnum comes with a sticker on the transmission that says use Dex3, but they also have recommended penzoil/GM synchromesh and also their own MTF which is what I just put in. Although there are some who swear by Royal Purple, it gets the most worst reviews.

I used the Mobile 1 atf in my 3650 which didnt help----the one that worked the best in my 3650 was RedLine MTF but not so good in the Magnum. The one with the most best reviews is Amsoil ATf---thats what Ill try next if the Tremec MTF doesnt work out.

My clutch engages and disengages just short of the pedal being at the 1/2 way point from the floor, so I dont believe that its a clutch adjustment problem

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Went with the cheapest I could find for 50 miles (shifted fine honestly) then dumped and went Amsoil. No complaints, took a second to dial in the RXT and get used to it. Not going to lie it's not a BMW etc, still a little heavy but better than anything else offered and precise. I did have a single disc Centerforce and when I re-did the engine went twin and I'm a big fan.

Edited for dyslexia.

Last edited:

FIREBALL

Established Member
What is RTX?-----I have the single Center Force right now----what twin disk and what did it do for notchy?

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Tremec Magnum comes with a sticker on the transmission that says use Dex3, but they also have recommended penzoil/GM synchromesh and also their own MTF which is what I just put in. Although there are some who swear by Royal Purple, it gets the most worst reviews.

I used the Mobile 1 atf in my 3650 which didnt help----the one that worked the best in my 3650 was RedLine MTF but not so good in the Magnum. The one with the most best reviews is Amsoil ATf---thats what Ill try next if the Tremec MTF doesnt work out.

My clutch engages and disengages just short of the pedal being at the 1/2 way point from the floor, so I dont believe that its a clutch adjustment problem

Years ago when I bought mine, I called Tremec and spoke with a Tech. I asked what fluid they used during development and he said Mobil 1. He also recommended it's use.

I had a TKO in another car, but GM Syncromesh was recommended for that one..

For T5s, I've used Redline with no problems.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What is RTX?-----I have the single Center Force right now----what twin disk and what did it do for notchy?

The RXT is the Mcleod dual disk clutch. Way overkill for your set up. I have one in my car and it's smooth and the only notchiness I deal with is the usual T-56 stuff. But your Centerforce should be fine for your car.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Have about 75 miles using the Tremec Mtf oil, theres a slight improvement with notchy but still not great, Ill give it a few hundred more miles and then the last resort will be the Amsoil ATF. After having my car for 4 years and making many upgrades and improvements I finally got it to where Ive wanted it regarding handling and ride and looks but I hate the tremec transmissions, they are the worst shifting transmissions I have ever had (and ive had many), they really take away from the driving experience. Its hard to believe them being used successfully in racing competition.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What about using a longer handle? I know it'll lengthen the throw, but the extra leverage should help with the notchiness.

Let's be honest though, a trans designed to handle 700+hp is never going to shift like butter. I don't know what you consider overly notchy, but it's never going to shift like a Honda with a hydraulic clutch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread