My Cobra is starting to run hot!

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
I have noticed lately when I drive my car, that it is starting to run hotter than it used to. It has a little over 100K on it now and I guess it is about time for stuff to start wearing out. Can you give me some ideas on what the problem might be and how to test for them? I suspect the thermostat, the fan, or the radiator. Is there a way to test the thermostat and the fan?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Well, first pop your rad. cap and look at condition of the antifreeze. Go ahead and replace the stock cap, as I'm sure yours is original. How about the inside of the rad - is it in good condition (non corroded, etc).

Look carefully around the fan clutch, specifically looking for staining. With 100k miles, it prob. needs a new clutch anyway. With car hot, cut motor off and try to to turn the fan - it should be VERY hard to turn. If it isn't, then the fan clutch has died.

Tstat could be suspect as well. Easy to swap out and relatively cheap.

PJM99

Established Member
my car has 70K miles and i'm doing everything. New radiator, fan clutch, hoses, thermostat and waterpump. The car wasn't running hot, but the radiator did have a leak so I figured I might as well do it all.

sled

Established Member
93Cobra2771 said:
Well, first pop your rad. cap and look at condition of the antifreeze. Go ahead and replace the stock cap, as I'm sure yours is original. How about the inside of the rad - is it in good condition (non corroded, etc).

Look carefully around the fan clutch, specifically looking for staining. With 100k miles, it prob. needs a new clutch anyway. With car hot, cut motor off and try to to turn the fan - it should be VERY hard to turn. If it isn't, then the fan clutch has died.

Tstat could be suspect as well. Easy to swap out and relatively cheap.

the clutch fans good bad all the time. i dont even run one right now. i agree with 93cobra2771, go through and check everything!

CoBrAcHiCk93

SVT Abuser
Established Member
93_Snake said:
I have noticed lately when I drive my car, that it is starting to run hotter than it used to. It has a little over 100K on it now and I guess it is about time for stuff to start wearing out. Can you give me some ideas on what the problem might be and how to test for them? I suspect the thermostat, the fan, or the radiator. Is there a way to test the thermostat and the fan?
starting to have the same problem here. .

9T3SVT

Established Member
If you have the money get a Fluidyne. The install is an hour job tops and anyone can do it. It would also be a good time to replace your fan clutch as others have stated. They're on ebay all the time for cheap, but taking the fan off requires a fan clutch wrench. Cheapest Prices For Fluidyne

If money is an issue just follow all the steps that Cobra2771 posted and clean out any crap that may have clogged the front of your a/c condenser.

LtDan

Lt Dan
Established Member
Go with a Aluminum radiator. My 88 GT was doing the same thing and the aluminum radiator was a great lightweight upgrade, and fixed my temp problem.

#1pony

Established Member
I installed a 3 core radiator, a 180 degree thermostat, and new hoses and I don't have any problems. I was even running a flex fan without a shroud and it was fine. The only reason I was doing that is because I was saving up money to replace the original stuff that broke. I just bought a new shroud, factory fan blade and, fan clutch because I don't like the flex fan.

Teal93svt

Established Member
What is a good running temp what do you all consider the line that its starting to get hot. My car sitting will run 210 but thats the hottest ive seen it get and thats on a a warm day.

Bobby

jordan0806

E85 and Psi
Established Member
you should be around 185 at the most...reaplce your thermostat with a 160 instead of a 180...this will help....for that many miles...you might as well go throug hthe system....a new water pump, hoses, and such...dont need a new radiator...switch form Clutch fan to electric...you'll be SOOOO much happier you did..and its only abotu a 30 minute job to do so...

cobra 1

Established Member
LtDan said:
Go with a Aluminum radiator. My 88 GT was doing the same thing and the aluminum radiator was a great lightweight upgrade, and fixed my temp problem.

i second this..

Users who are viewing this thread